Clueless first-timer needs advice about cruises please

Old August 4th, 2004, 06:43 AM
William Coleman

Default Clueless first-timer needs advice about cruises please

--
"Bob Thomas" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:14:57 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article , *bicker*
wrote:

...then treat them as suggestions and dress as you consider
appropriate.

I am getting a vibe that you don't get it.

They expect you to dress as requested, as they consider appropriate,
-----not dress as you consider appropriate.

Exactly .... within the bounds of common sense and good taste,
appropriate is a flexible concept - although apparently not for
everyone.

Bob T.

shorts in the dining room does not show good taste nor common sense.
Especially when the appropriate dress for the evening is spelled out for you
by the cruiseline, and you know that before you even leave for your holiday.

Bill

Old August 4th, 2004, 06:48 AM
William Coleman

"Bob Thomas" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:10:33 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

There are cruises (like NCL) that allow casual dress every evening...

albeit
with long pants and a nice shirt (like a golf shirt). They do not have
formal nights like other lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess,
Celebrity, etc.).

... and if those cruises don't happen to be going where you wanted to
go ???

If putting on a pair of slacks (dockers, etc.) for dinner in a fancy

dining
room is too much of a hassle... perhaps you should look elsewhere. A

cruise
might not be your cup of tea.

A cruise is exactly my cup of tea .... but it would appear that you
prefer to dictate to those who prefer coffee ... or soft drink .. or
even plain old water. I cruise to get to places, to see new countries
and to enjoy the benefits of having my hotel go with me. Of course
there are those who simply cruise for the social life and to be
pretentious, and for them appearances may be an end it itself. Sad,
really, that those who want to perform insist that their audience wear
costumes as well.

IMO, enforcing the long pants kind of forces people to shower and clean

up
for dinner, rather than showing up sweaty, full of sun tan oil, from the
pool area.

Now you're being silly ...... it is a quantum leap from sweaty and
smelly to dinner suite and tie. The words "neat, casual" come to mind.

Bob T.

Didn't you say in an earlier post that you have yet to take your first
cruise? In your reply above you make it sound like you have taken cruises
before. If you haven't cruised before how do you now that cruising "IS" your
cup of tea? I have to agree with Tom that it a cruise may not be your cup of
tea.

You also shouldn't get all riled up with the RTC posters because of their
you'll basically get the same kind of replies.

Bill

Old August 4th, 2004, 07:23 AM
*bicker*

A Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:14:57 -0400, Charles
escribió:
In article , *bicker*
wrote:
...then treat them as suggestions and dress as you consider
appropriate.

I am getting a vibe that you don't get it.

I get it perfectly fine. I do not consider my decision to
wear a suit justification for judging others who decide not
to take that suggestion. Suggestions aren't requirements.

--
bicker®
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/D...ry_040602.html
Old August 4th, 2004, 07:23 AM
*bicker*

A Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:14:57 -0400, Charles

Old August 4th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Bob Thomas

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 05:43:02 GMT, "William Coleman"
wrote:

shorts in the dining room does not show good taste nor common sense.
Especially when the appropriate dress for the evening is spelled out for you
by the cruiseline, and you know that before you even leave for your holiday.

Bill

You miss the point .... I'm not against *a* dress code, that's only
common sense, and applies everywhere. I'm just against *all* cruisers
having to lug around heavy and bulky suits and jackets simply to
satisfy those who cannot digest a meal unless formally dressed.

Not all travellers come from their homes with baggage all neatly taken
care of on every step of the way. Some of us have to travel half-way
around the globe to get to the cruise ship, and have any number of
places where carrying baggage by hand is the only viable option. We
already have to jetison much in the interests of space and weight and
it's ludicrous to expect everyone to have to dress up like a peacock
when "neat casual" would be more than adequate.

I have never travelled without something respectable to dine in, but
this blanket, over-the-top approach, is just plain inconsiderate.

It seems to have entirely escaped several people's attention that I am
not advocating sloppy dress, nor am I suggesting everyone has to lower
their standards to an unacceptable degree. All I suggest is that there
are hundreds of people on a cruise ship, and not all want to join the
penguin parade. Why is it such a hard concept to understand that all
tastes can be catered for ??? Why should the pretentious snobs be
given preference?

We manage to allow people to choose their excursions, choose their
menus, choose their cabins, choose their destinations etc etc etc. Why
not allow people to choose their dining habits as well, especially
when they're on holiday. Heavens ... I'm not even *packing* a pair of
shorts on my cruise!

Bob T.