Nha Trang CD-DVD Shop, 1/25 Tran Quang Khai, Nha Trang, Vietnam

Old December 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Miloolim

Default Nha Trang CD-DVD Shop, 1/25 Tran Quang Khai, Nha Trang, Vietnam

I just got back from an absolutely brilliant one month trip to
Vietnam. Went from Hanoi to Saigon and everywhere thereabouts and in
between. In general I found the people and the country wonderful.

However, in Nha Trang I went to a shop selling counterfiet DVD/Cd's
and decided to buy 5 copied XBOX games. Now I admit that this is not
the most ethical purchase I made on my holiday but it was there so I
thought I would try it out. Cost me 150000 dong which I was willing to
lose if for some reason the discs did not work properly.

After getting them back home though, I must say I was taken aback by
the fact that the staff of the shop had deliberately ripped me off by
giving me rubbish CD's containing a range of crap PC software. I
believe they deliberately ripped me off as upon closer inspection I
can see they simple applied fresh sticker labels over previously burnt
discs.

Now it is not hard to obtain and copy XBOX games if you have a little
know how, and most of the Vietnamese people I met on the tourist
routes seemed quite sharp (ie, clever, especially considering most
spoke more languages than me). So I can only assume it was a
deliberate rip off.

Shame, Nha Trang CD-DVD Shop, 1/25 Tran Quang Khai, Nha Trang TEL:058
524 097, Shame.

If anyone gets a chance could you pop into the shop and give the kind
staff an earful. It goes without saying that I would not recommend
anyone actually go to the shop to buy anything.

Cheers

Miloolim

P.S. Don't let this tale put you off going to Vietnam, every other
Vietnamese person I met there (bar one pickpocket prostitute) was
friendly, honest and a pleasure to meet. Great country, safe, and I'd
recommend a visit there to anyone. And the food...beautiful.
Old December 16th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Java Guy

It seems like you don't let 150000 dongs go as easily as you stated
above. How could a $10 ruin your wonderful one month trip? I can only
find one reason for it: you're so cheap.

Old December 18th, 2004, 03:39 AM
arnold

well, i guess you should stick to buying licensed video games.

did you happen to show your main dong to the pickpocketing prostitute?
"lotech" arnold

Old December 18th, 2004, 03:39 AM
arnold

Old December 18th, 2004, 04:05 AM
AmO

"Miloolim" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Heheheh

Wise men say
Only fools rush in
But i cant help
Buying crappy CD's

Like a river flow
Surely to the sea
Darlin so it goes
What monies are meant to be

They know your a sucker tourist. Thats why you get what you paid for.

Cheers!

Old December 20th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Mick Neugyn

You got my sympathy. I was in a worse situation where a pregnant woman,
selling pirated CDs right next to my hotel, in Hung Vuong ave, District 5
HCM city begged me to help her by buying her CDs, saying she's so poor,
can't support her family bla, bla, bla.....(I speak Vietnamese well) At
first I did not like the idea of doing charity by buying pirated CDs, but,
well, if that's HELPing someone, I gave in to her version of charity and
bought 2 CDs. Upon opening the cds on my laptop, I couldn't believe what I
got: one CD has some instructions for a digital camera of some sort and the
other contains collections of software drivers.
I took the CD back to the woman, and told her the CDs were no good. Now the
language changed, and in short the woman did not want to have anything to do
with me. She became quite rude and even a little abusive. While I was left
standing there stunned, she continued waving her CDs at passing
motorcyclists. I throw the CDs in the bin and quietly thanked her for a real
lesson.

om...

Old December 20th, 2004, 01:26 AM
ww

A while back, an American tourist complained on this bullertin about
the poor service he received from an old but legitimate masseuse, whom
he tipped 15 cents for an hour worth of massage.

I know a guy, who complained about the $20 dollars fake rolex watch he
bought in the streets of NYC in the 80s.

Doing CHARITY & HELPING someone by participating in an illegal act? I
tell yah!

I can't wait to hear from another American tourist complaining about
poor service from a $20 hooker...

bla bla bla

Mick Neugyn Dec 19, 4:27 pm show options

Newsgroups: soc.culture.vietnamese,rec.travel.asia

Old December 20th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Edwardseco

In article %%Nwd.133$_62.113@trnddc01, "AmO" writes:

[...]