Cell Stolen must make Phone Calls

Old August 10th, 2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america
Ken

Default Cell Stolen must make Phone Calls

I'm on vacation and writing from a café - trying to waste time waiting
for my friend to sleep off his hangover. So here is my dilemma. My
backpack that contained my cell phone was stolen a few days ago. I am
not too concerned since I have insurance. So now I have no phone and my
girlfriend expects me to phone everyday. I still have about 15 days
until I get back. Any advice, since there is no way in hell I am calling
directly from the hostel? And, forget the calling cards, I bought one
and there were so many "connection" charges that I ended up having like
five minutes of actual talking.

Kenny
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:03 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

Kenny,

Where are you? That would probably help us help you.

And have you thought about e-mailing your girlfriend and telling her
your phone got stolen so you can't call as often as you had previously
said? Seems like a simple enough solution to me.

Shaun

Old August 15th, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america
GH

Tell your galpal to get bent. JK. Seriously, why is she so needy? Tell her
you need to enjoy your time and don't have time to spend looking for a pay
phone to call her.
You will be back in like 2 weeks. Those calling cards are bad news. Where
are you at?
Depending on the country, there are options. Oh, and you can tell your
galpal that you will write her via email once a day. That should get her
off your back.
If not, I will suggest using a service called OneSuite, www.onesuite.com.
International phone service. Its cheap and you don't have to bother with a
card. You can also use any phone, including cell.
You can also just use my first bit of advice and tell your galpal to not be
so desperate.

Old August 15th, 2006, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america
Ken

I was all over in Latin American, but I am in Mexico for now. I talked
to my girlfriend about my cell phone but I made a promise to call her
anyway. I used some of the calling cards you buy off the street and that
was definitely bad news. And thanks for the OneSuite suggestion. I will
give them chance, seeing at this point I have no other option.

Oh, and thanks for caring enough to write!

Kenny
Old August 15th, 2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack,rec.travel.latin-america
Mike McKinley

"Ken" wrote in message
I was all over in Latin American, but I am in Mexico for now. I talked
to my girlfriend about my cell phone but I made a promise to call her
anyway. I used some of the calling cards you buy off the street and that
was definitely bad news. And thanks for the OneSuite suggestion. I will
give them chance, seeing at this point I have no other option.
Oh, and thanks for caring enough to write!

I spent five weeks in Mexico and called my boyfriend every day with one
of the Ladatel cards. Not a rip-off at all. I found them very reasonable.
But, YMMV.