Lions in Masaailand on verge of total elimination--please help

Old June 20th, 2008, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
BTSO1001

Default Lions in Masaailand on verge of total elimination--please help

I am working with the National Geographic Society to make people
aware
that due to recent events the lions of southern Kenya are in imminent
danger of extinction. I thought that readers of this forum would
want
to know of this potentially tragic happening.

NGS is working to protect the current remaining lions, but also to
establish programs that will help the population grow and thrive well
into the future. The key to protecting the lions is first to remove
the economic incentive to kill the lions. These efforts involve
creating a sustainable balance between local Maasai communities and
lion groups.

But the situation has reached a critical level. Unless something is
done immediately, there will be no more lions in this part of Kenya,
which would be a tragedy.

Please take a moment to visit www.NationalGeographic.com/Bigcats to
learn more. There is still hope that we can protect these majestic
animals, but we have no time to lose, and it is vital that word be
spread among those who love not only lions but the beauty and culture
of Kenya.

If anyone reading this has a site of their own, please post a link to
the information found at the url above to help spread awareness--
There
is a banner you can download and use for linking purposes,
http://www.btstrategies.com/images//lions_badge_2.jpg.

On behalf of the National Geographic Society, I thank you for your
concern and your time.

Charles F
Breakthrough Strategies

Old June 20th, 2008, 10:08 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

Charles,
Thank you for posting the information below, I`m sure subscribers to
this NG will be interested. First, let me tell you the link you gave
comes up with Error 404, so I`m not sure what happened there, I will
continue to check.
I have read recently that some herdsman in the Mara have been using
Carbofuran, a powerful insecticide, to kill lions and other big cats.
NGS will be doing a service to local communities together with the
Kenya Wildlife Service and community leaders, to try and solve this
problem between lions and local people.
I have been to the Masai Mara and indeed lived in Kenya for several
years.
I wish you all the best with this important project.
Regards,
Patricia Anderson.

In message
,
BTSO1001 writes

--
Pat Anderson
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:46 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
rydale

Pat/Charles

The link is http://www.nationalgeographic.com/bigcats - notice the lowercase
'b'.
Full link is
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/fi...servation.html

I was in Amboseli 3 years ago, and although we did see lions, they were not
plentiful and park was very dry (dust bowl...) so suspect that they were
struggling for prey in the park itself. I can understand that they would be
increasingly moving out into the local area as a result and suffering the
Masaai protecting their cattle.

Charles (another one!)

www.wildviews.com
Real world Photography

Old June 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

Hi Charles,
good to see your reply. The link you gave is fine, the cats look superb,
I will watch the video link later.
The last safari we went on was to Amboseli, it really was a dry dusty
park, if I can persuade my OM to go to Kenya this year, and he`s not
keen, says it`s changed too much, I`d like to re visit Samburu. The
story of some Masai poisoning the lions and other cats was
disconcerting, the Masai usually co- exist well with wildlife and there
have been some good initiatives put into place where the local people
receive some financial rewards. I suppose if we had cattle and they were
being eaten by lions, we might resort to means to get rid of them,
it`s a delicate situation.
Pat.

In message , rydale
writes