LOVE Carnival!-but am I missing other great cruiselnes?

Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:00 PM
Jan/Gigi

Default LOVE Carnival!-but am I missing other great cruiselnes?

I've sailed with Carnival on several different routes and enjoyed them
all; although so far preferring "Legend"!

Next year I'm taking my daughter and her two boys, age 10 and 12 on
their first cruise and just wondered whether Princess or Holland are
worth a try - better ? - if so, how [I know they're "affiliated"

Any suggestions/comments?

Old October 4th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Thomas Smith

"Jan/Gigi" wrote in message
I've sailed with Carnival on several different routes and enjoyed them
all; although so far preferring "Legend"!

Next year I'm taking my daughter and her two boys, age 10 and 12 on
their first cruise and just wondered whether Princess or Holland are
worth a try - better ? - if so, how [I know they're "affiliated"

Any suggestions/comments?

Princess and Holland America are both "premium" cruise lines. The quality
of service should be a notch better than Carnival. However, the children's
programs are less extensive on the two lines, and especially Holland
America. I would take the kids on Carnival.

Tom Smith

Old October 4th, 2004, 03:30 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote in message
Princess and Holland America are both "premium" cruise lines. The quality
of service should be a notch better than Carnival. However, the
children's
programs are less extensive on the two lines, and especially Holland
America. I would take the kids on Carnival.

Tom Smith

I agree, Tom, Carnival has a very good children's program.. Our little
grandson really enjoyed it.
If you don't wish to take the Carnival route again, I would take Princess as
a second choice if I were taking little ones...

--Jean

Old October 4th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Buddy Romaine

I went to a HAL cruise seminar last week and their focus was heavy on
letting the agents' know that there is going to be a bigger push for
children on their line in the near future.

I can't understand why they don't just continue catering to the adult
crowd. It's their niche.

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 02:18:30 GMT, "Thomas Smith"
-NO-SPAM wrote:

Princess and Holland America are both "premium" cruise lines. The quality
of service should be a notch better than Carnival. However, the children's
programs are less extensive on the two lines, and especially Holland
America. I would take the kids on Carnival.

Tom Smith

Carnival Tropicale 1982
NCL Dawn 2004
HAL Noordam 2004
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Von Fourche

"Buddy Romaine" wrote in message

I went to a HAL cruise seminar last week and their focus was heavy on
letting the agents' know that there is going to be a bigger push for
children on their line in the near future.

I can't understand why they don't just continue catering to the adult
crowd. It's their niche.

When you say "adult crowd" what age group do you mean? I've heard HAL
caters to the older crowd. Yes?

Old October 4th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Linsifer

Tom, I respectively disagree about part of that statement. I've sailed on both
Carnival and Princess and, personally, have not found that Princess is more
"premium". Yes, the decor is more subdued. But, as for service, I experienced
absolutely NO difference, and as a matter of fact, BETTER service in Carnival's
dining rooms. They're both mainstream lines.

And, my daughter, who was 9 and 10 at the time of both of our Princess cruises
REALLY liked the kids' program on the Star and Sun Princess. Very extensive.
The Star had 600+ kids on board. The Sun had 200+. She wasn't quite as keen on
the Carnival programs.

"Jan/Gigi" wrote in message
I've sailed with Carnival on several different routes and enjoyed them
all; although so far preferring "Legend"!

It was asked:

Old October 4th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Buddy Romaine

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 04:19:56 GMT, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

"Buddy Romaine" wrote in message
.. .

I went to a HAL cruise seminar last week and their focus was heavy on
letting the agents' know that there is going to be a bigger push for
children on their line in the near future.

I can't understand why they don't just continue catering to the adult
crowd. It's their niche.

When you say "adult crowd" what age group do you mean? I've heard HAL
caters to the older crowd. Yes?

I kind of meant the non child crowd. What is exactly the older crowd?
Being 37, I'm normally the older crowd but I guess on HAL I might be
the younger crowd? HAL doesn't necessarily market to the older crowd
though. It's just that the older crowd turns up.

I'm confusing myself now. All I know is that I'm hoping there aren't
any children on my HAL cruise next week!

andrew.

Carnival Tropicale 1982
NCL Dawn 2004
HAL Noordam 2004
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Benjamin Smith

Buddy Romaine wrote:

I went to a HAL cruise seminar last week and their focus was heavy on
letting the agents' know that there is going to be a bigger push for
children on their line in the near future.

I can't understand why they don't just continue catering to the adult
crowd. It's their niche.

I agree. But bean counters don't find it most profitable. Niche is bad,
unless high priced. That's the problem in much of the resulting
"culture" in many current products, in my not at all humble opinion.

Ben S. (won't respond to any business lesson anyone feels like offering)

Old October 4th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Benjamin Smith

wrote:

"Buddy Romaine" wrote in message
. ..

I went to a HAL cruise seminar last week and their focus was heavy on
letting the agents' know that there is going to be a bigger push for
children on their line in the near future.

I can't understand why they don't just continue catering to the adult
crowd. It's their niche.

When you say "adult crowd" what age group do you mean? I've heard HAL
caters to the older crowd. Yes?

I kind of meant the non child crowd. What is exactly the older crowd?
Being 37, I'm normally the older crowd but I guess on HAL I might be
the younger crowd? HAL doesn't necessarily market to the older crowd
though. It's just that the older crowd turns up.

On most cruise lines you are the younger crowd. People say older and
younger and know what they mean, but I'm not always sure others know
what they mean. HAL's typical client has been over the age of 60 with a
few between 40 and 60. There have always been children on HAL, just not
so many as they overrun the ship and create discipline related problems.

I'm confusing myself now. All I know is that I'm hoping there aren't
any children on my HAL cruise next week!

There should be some. I sailed as a 10 year old on HAL in 1970, so it is
nothing new that HAL has children on board. THere were maybe 30 8 to 15
year olds on that ship, at least that's all I remember noticing.

Ben S.

andrew.

Carnival Tropicale 1982
NCL Dawn 2004