Venice history book suggestions?

Old August 19th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Dan Stephenson

Default Venice history book suggestions?

Hi I'm travelling to Venice 1-17 October and would like to do some
reading (apart from Guidebooks, I'm comparing the Green Guide, Blue
Guide, and Knopf once they arrive at the bookstore) to help me get a
feel for things. On a prior trip to Europe, I bought Agony and the
Ecstasy in Vienna before getting to Tuscany and Rome. Then in Rome I
bought a tome of a history book on Ancient Greece which I read through
Greece. It was surreal to read the history of the flight of the Helot
slaves of Sparta fleeing over the Gulf of Corinth -- while on the ferry
crossing the Gulf or Corinth!

So I'm looking for a tome-like history book on Venice, and probably
some kind of historical fiction. I will do my own research of course,
but I'm sure there are some recommendations out there, if you don't
mind.

Thanks,

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
Old August 19th, 2005, 07:27 PM
pfriedmanNoSpam

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message
[...]

My two favorites on Venetian history a
Venice, A Maritime Republic by Lane

A History of Venice by Norwich

A history of the later-day Byzantine and early Ottoman empires would be
excellent background material

Paul

Old August 19th, 2005, 08:07 PM

A good book that combines the history and art of Venice is "Venice: Lion
City" by Garry Wills.

You might also enjoy Mary McCarthy's "Venice Observed," a travel book but
not a guidebook.

For historical fiction, I recommend "The Floating Book" by Michelle Lovric.

There is also John Julius Norwich's "Paradise of Cities" for a look at many
of the British artists and writers who made their homes in Venice.

Finally, for something really light, you might turn to the series of little
mysteries by Donna Leon, all set in Venice and all worth the short time it
takes to read them.

Ron
Fredericksburg, VA

Old August 19th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Bill Steltzer

I second the recommendation for Norwich's history. Long and complete.

Old August 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM

I just got Venice the Biography of a City by Christopher. Hibbert. So
far it looks wonderful and his book of Florence is a favorite of mine.
Liz

Old August 19th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Zhu De

"pfriedmanNoSpam" wrote in message

"Dan Stephenson" wrote in message

My two favorites on Venetian history a
Venice, A Maritime Republic by Lane

A History of Venice by Norwich

A history of the later-day Byzantine and early Ottoman empires would be
excellent background material

Here is another one you might find interesting together with its link to
Amazon

Byzantium: The Early Centuries: The Early Centuries Vol 1

Byzantium: The Apogee: The Apogee Vol 2

There are a couple of books by Jan Morris which I enjoyed very much.

The Venetian Empi A Sea Voyage

Venice

This is also worth a read.

Hugh Honour: The Companion Guide To Venice

Old August 20th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Bob Fusillo

If you want to read rather than study, James/Jan Morris. As a Venice
resident I read his first one ( which appears under several names) every few
years just for fun.
rjf