best routes to Britain

Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Default best routes to Britain

From my Virginia home we must connect to an international airport to
get to Britain. I admit that I'm a total slacker and look for the most
convenient routes. If it were me going I'd try out the new Maxjet
all-business class. But it isn't me going; it is my impoverished
college student son who wants to go visit people in London and/or
Scotland. I'll cover some of the flight but he is paying for most and
it is July he's looking at (no flexibility on month).

He can con someone into driving him to Dulles or BWI and we have
good/cheap connections via Southwest to other international airports.
For those of you who travel frequently to Britain is there an east
coast departure airport that is generally cheaper than others or are
they all equally outrageous in summer? He is quite flexible on the UK
end and can aim for either Glasgow or London. I've been looking at the
usual web sites and my brain hurts.

He is flexible on dates during July. In the past Tuesday or Wednesday
have been cheaper; it seems that is still true?

I've never used a consolidator or reseller as I am chicken and I don't
want to make multiple connections. But a 20-something though has way
more stamina and can take it. Any recent good experiences in seeking
UK flights from resellers?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air

For those of you who travel frequently to Britain is there an east
coast departure airport that is generally cheaper than others or are
they all equally outrageous in summer?

Toronto might be cheaper since there are charters, but by the time
he got there, he wouldn't save anything. Consolidators and resellers
won't save you anything on this route, they only matter if you are
buying tickets at the last minute or on exotic routes.

He is quite flexible on the UK end and can aim for either Glasgow or
London.

If he's willing to fly into Manchester, Delta has a $530 RT from
Washington National via JFK. I'd buy now before the price goes up to
$800 like everyone else. Continental charges $469 EWR-MAN, but you're
not going to get to Newark from Virginia for $70 round trip.

Getting around England is surprisingly cheap. BMI flies between
Manchester and Glasgow for 49 pounds RT, or the train takes about four
hours and is 15 pounds OW if you buy the ticket ahead of time, which
you can do online. Easyjet and Ryanair both fly between Glasgow and
London for under 20 pounds if you fly at the cheap inconvenient times,
or the train which takes about 5 hours and has more cheap seats.

R's,
John

Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air

If he's willing to fly into Manchester, Delta has a $530 RT from Washington National via JFK. I'd buy now before the price goes up to $800 like everyone else. Continental charges $469 EWR-MAN, but you're not going to get to Newark from Virginia for $70 round trip.

Thanks this is EXACTLY the type of info I was seeking. Much
appreciated.

Old May 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air

For those of you who travel frequently to Britain is there an east
coast departure airport that is generally cheaper than others or are
they all equally outrageous in summer?

Yes, JFK and Newark are going to be cheaper departure points in the US
to UK than any other US port. Next best are going to be Boston,
Philadelphia, Dulles and Baltimore. Try looking at www.ba.com or
www.virginatlantic.com. July is the beginning of the busy summer period
but things should still be a little cheaper than in August.

Old May 12th, 2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air

On 12 May 2006 09:27:00 -0700, "Riaz" wrote:

For those of you who travel frequently to Britain is there an east

coast departure airport that is generally cheaper than others or are
they all equally outrageous in summer?

Yes, JFK and Newark are going to be cheaper departure points in the US
to UK than any other US port. Next best are going to be Boston,
Philadelphia, Dulles and Baltimore. Try looking at www.ba.com or
www.virginatlantic.com. July is the beginning of the busy summer period
but things should still be a little cheaper than in August.

On the other hand, once you add in the cost of getting to New
York from some other part of the country the cost advantage
begins to disappear. Not to mention, of course, that, e.g.,
flying non-stop Phoenix-London instead of laying over several
hours at someplace like Pittsburgh to change planes is worth the
extra money.

Old May 12th, 2006, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Hatunen wrote:
[...]

Didn't read the original post did ya Dave?

Old May 12th, 2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air

On 12 May 2006 13:02:13 -0700, "
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:
[...]

It's gone, but from the quote in another post I get the gist that
he's looking for the cheapest east coast airport. I guess I'm
raising the question, "Why?"

Oh. Now I've got the original, which includes "He can con someone
into driving him to Dulles or BWI and we have good/cheap
connections via Southwest to other international airports."

I'm saying it may not be worth it.

Old May 12th, 2006, 11:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Hatunen wrote:
On 12 May 2006 13:02:13 -0700, "
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

[...]

He was looking to get there from Virginia.

"From my Virginia home we must connect to an international airport to
[...]

It's only from the 2nd. Although why the discussion picked up today
after a week off I cannot fathom.