Finding hotels with large suites

Old May 30th, 2008, 02:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lee Choquette

Default Finding hotels with large suites

Can anyone suggest a hotel search and reservation website that will locate
large suites? My wife and I have six children and whenever I search a site
such as Travelocity or Expedia for a room to accomodate us all, it always
comes up dry even in cities where I know there are available large suites. For
example, many hotels around Disneyland have suites for 8, 10 or 12 people, yet
even on available dates these don't come up on any websites I've tried, other
than the hotel's own. There are other locales where I know such suites exist,
yet they don't show up in searches there, either.

Naturally I have to (a) already know which hotels have large suites in order
to book through the hotel's own website, or (b) try each hotel in the
vicinity. For extremely popular destinations such as Disneyland there are
resources for (a), and for small towns it's feasible to (b), but I'm looking
for a solution that works for (c) neither of the above.

I don't mind discussing the size of my family with you, but other readers of
this newsgroup probably don't want to read such discussion while they're
looking for travel tips, so please send such commentary directly to me.

Thanks,
Lee

Old May 30th, 2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Can anyone suggest a hotel search
and reservation website that will locate
large suites? My wife and I have six children
and whenever I search a site such as Travelocity or
Expedia for a room to accomodate us all, it always
comes up dry even in cities where I know there are
available large suites.

Lee, my guess is that most hotels don't have many (or any) individual
suites that large, therefore they wouldn't turn up sites like
Travelocity very often. A more common method of accomodating large
groups is to use 2 smaller suites that have a connecting door. Would
Travelocity let you specify 2 adjoining small suites?

James
Old May 31st, 2008, 04:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Carole Allen[_1_]

Can anyone suggest a hotel search
and reservation website that will locate
large suites? My wife and I have six children
and whenever I search a site such as Travelocity or
Expedia for a room to accomodate us all, it always
comes up dry even in cities where I know there are
available large suites.

Having just spent an evening attempting to book a room for 4 adults
online in BC, I ended up simply calling a few hotels and booking that
way (but referencing the online rates I saw). Putting 4 adults in the
search engines frequently gave me options such as 3 adults, 1 child;
or 2 adults, 2 babies; or even just 2 adults, etc. I also tried
putting in 2 rooms, but still got only 1 room responses.

I can't imagine any online search engine will accommodate 8 people.
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Sat, 31 May 2008 03:19:46 GMT,
(Carole Allen) wrote:

Can anyone suggest a hotel search
and reservation website that will locate
large suites? My wife and I have six children
and whenever I search a site such as Travelocity or
Expedia for a room to accomodate us all, it always
comes up dry even in cities where I know there are
available large suites.

Having just spent an evening attempting to book a room for 4 adults
online in BC, I ended up simply calling a few hotels and booking that
way (but referencing the online rates I saw). Putting 4 adults in the
search engines frequently gave me options such as 3 adults, 1 child;
or 2 adults, 2 babies; or even just 2 adults, etc. I also tried
putting in 2 rooms, but still got only 1 room responses.

I can't imagine any online search engine will accommodate 8 people.

Yours is the way to do it. Get to know the pricing for a
standard room from the net search engines, and the locality
of hotels from Expedia's maps, then contact a short list
directly to ask for your specific details. Whittle the short
list down to a few then check other sources like tripadvisor
before your final decision.

Of course, you can eliminate any of those steps, depends how
much time you have and how important that room's price and
quality is to you.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K[_2_]

On 5/29/2008 9:26 PM Lee Choquette plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
and said:
[...]

Have you tried using a Travel Agent who specializes in booking for large
family groups? Travel bots just list an average of what people want.
Some don't even offer the option to isolate a search to large suites.
With a travel agent, you can actually talk to him / her. He / she can
tell you what alternatives are available (smaller suites that can be
joined via doors, villas, condos, etc.) The age of the property, prior
ownership, and financial picture of the current owners may be
available. Your travel agent can also tell you if a discount is in
place because the property is undergoing construction. Travel bots may
or may not have some of this information available...but a travel bot is
not a real person who can talk to you to learn your preferences.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera