Cheap air travel within europe

Old February 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Nisarg Sutaria

Default Cheap air travel within europe

This is just for your reference...

http://www.etn.nl/lcostair.htm#europe

Air 2000 Search and Compare Latest news about Air 2000
Flights between England (home base Manchester) and Portugal, Spain

Aer Arann Latest news about Aer Arann
Flights within Ireland and from Ireland to England, Scotland

Air Baltic Latest news about Air Baltic
Flights between Latvia (home base Riga) and Austria, Belarus, Belgium,
Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Lithuania,
Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Ukraine

Air Berlin Search and Compare Latest news about Air Berlin
Flights within Germany and from Germany (home base Berlin) to Austria,
Cyprus, Egypt, England, Greece, Italy, Morocco, Portugal, Spain,
Tunisia, Turkey

Air Finland Website in Finnish only! Latest news about Air Finland
Flights within Finland (home base Helsinki) and from Finland to
France, Italy, Spain

Air Littoral Latest news about Air Littoral
Flights between France (home base Nice) and Algeria, Germany, Italy,
Morocco, Spain, Switzerland, Tunisia

Air Luxor Lite Warning: Slow-loading home page Latest news about Air
Luxor
Flights between Portugal and England, France, Ireland, Madeira, Spain

Air Polonia Latest news about Air Polonia
Flights between Poland (home base Warsaw) and England

Air Scotland Search and Compare Latest news about Air Scotland
Flights between Scotland (home base) and Spain

Air Southwest Latest news about Air Southwest
Flights within England

Air Wales Latest news about Air Wales
Flights between Wales and England, Ireland, Ulster

Alpi Eagles Latest news about Alpi Eagles
Flights within Italy (home base Venice)

Azzurra Air Latest news about Azzurra Air
Flights from Italy (home base Milano) to Denmark, Netherlands,
Portugal, Spain

Baboo Latest news about Baboo
Flights between Switzerland (home base Geneva) and Italy

Basiq Air Fake low-cost by KLM? Read here Search and Compare
Latest news about Basiq Air
Flights between Netherlands (home base Amsterdam) and Denmark,
England, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Sweden

Bexx Air Latest news about Bexx Air
Flights between Bulgaria (home base Sofia) and Austria, Germany,
Slovakia

BMI Baby Search and Compare Latest news about BMI Baby
Flights between England (home base) and Czech Rep., France, Germany,
Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Wales

British European Search and Compare Name too generic to find any
news
Flights between England and Channel Islands, France, Ireland, Isle of
Man, Italy, Netherlands, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland, Ulster

BudgetAir Name too generic to find any news
Flights between Ireland (home base Dublin) and France, Greece,
Portugal, Spain

Corendon Name too generic to find any news
Flights between Netherlands and Turkey

Deutsche BA Latest news about Deutsche BA
Flights within Germany and from Germany (home base) to France, Spain

Duo Search and Compare Latest news about Duo
Flights from England (home base Birmingham) and Scotland (home base
Edinburgh) to Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway,
Sweden, Switzerland

EasyJet Search and Compare Latest news about Easyjet
Flights between England (home base London) and Denmark, France,
Greece, Netherlands, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland, Ulster

Evolavia Latest news about Evolavia
Flights between Italy (home base Ancona) and France, Russia, Spain

Excel Airways Search and Compare Latest news about Excel Airways
Flights from England and Scotland to Egypt, France, Greece, Malta,
Portugal, Spain, Turkey

Fairline Austria Latest news about Fairline Austria
Flights between Austria (home base Graz) and Italy

Germania Express Search and Compare Latest news about Germania
Express
Flights within Germany (home base Berlin) and from Germany to Austria,
France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey

German Wings Search and Compare Latest news about German Wings
Flights within Germany and from Germany (home base Cologne) to
Austria, Czech Republic, England, France, Hungary, Italy, Portugal,
Spain, Switzerland and Turkey

Globespan Globespan flight routings (text) Search and Compare
Latest news about Globespan
Flights between Scotland (home base) and France, Italy, Spain

Hapag Lloyd Express Search and Compare Latest news about Hapag Lloyd
Express
Flights within Germany (home base Cologne-Bonn) and from Germany to
England, France, Italy, Spain

Hellas Jet Latest news about Hellas Jet
Flights between Greece (home base Athens) and Belgium, England,
France, Switzerland

Helvetic Airways Latest news about Helvetic Airways
Flights between Switzerland (home base Zurich) and Austria, Belgium,
Spain

Iceland Express Latest news about Iceland Express
Flights between Iceland (home base) and Denmark, England

InterSky Search and Compare Name too generic to find any news
Flights between Austria (home base Wien) and France, Italy,
Switzerland

Jet2 Warning: Very slow loading home page! Search and Compare
Latest news about Jet2
Flights between England (home base Leeds-Bradford) and France, Italy,
Netherlands, Spain

Maersk Air Latest news about Maersk Air
Flights between Denmark and Belgium, England, France, Germany, Greece,
Italy, Norway, Scotland, Spain

Meridiana Meridiana flight routings (text listing) Latest news
about Meridiana
Flights within Italy (home base Florence) and from Italy to England,
France, Italy, Netherlands, Spain

Monarch Airlines Latest news about Monarch Airlines
Flights between England (home base London-Luton) and Gibraltar,
Portugal, Spain

My Travel Lite My Travel Lite flight routings (text listing) Search
and Compare Latest news about My Travel Lite
Flights between England (home base) and France, Portugal, Spain,
Switzerland

Nordic Airlink Website in Swedish only! Latest news about Nordic
Airlink
Flights between Sweden (home base Stockholm) and Norway

Norwegian Air Shuttle Latest news about Norwegian Air Shuttle
Flights within Norway (home base) and from Norway to England,
Portugal, Spain

Onur Air Latest news about Onur Air
Flights within Turkey

Ryanair Latest news about Ryanair
Flights between England (home base London-Stansted) and Austria,
Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy,
Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Sweden

Scandjet Latest news about Scandjet
Flights between Sweden (home base) and Bosnia, Croatia

SkyEurope Warning: Very slow loading home page! Search and Compare
Latest news about Sky Europe
Flights between Slovakia (home base Bratislava) and Croatia, Czech
Republic, Italy, Germany, Switzerland

Skynet Airlines Warning: Very slow booking engine! Search and
Compare Latest news about Skynet Airlines
Flights from Ireland (home base Shannon) to Netherlands, Russia

Snalskjutsen Latest news about Snalskjutsen
Flights within Sweden (home base) and from Sweden to France, Ireland,
Italy, Scotland

SnowFlake Airlines Fake low-cost by Scandinavian Airlines? Read here
Name too generic to find any news
Flights from Denmark (home base Copenhagen) and Sweden (home base
Stockholm) to Czech Rep., France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy,
Spain, Turkey

Sterling Search and Compare Latest news about Sterling
Flights between Denmark (home base Copenhagen) and France, Greece,
Italy, Madeira, Norway, Spain, Sweden

Sun Express Name too generic to find any news
Flights between Turkey (home base Antalya) and Austria, Germany,
Switzerland

Swedline Website in Swedish only! Latest news about Swedline
Flights within Sweden

ThomsonFly Latest news about ThomsonFly
Flights between England (home base Coventry) and France, Italy,
Jersey, Spain

V Bird Search and Compare Name too generic to find any news
Flights within Germany (home base Niederrhein-Dusseldorf) and from
Germany to Austria, Finland, France, Netherlands

Virgin Express Search and Compare Latest news about Virgin Express
Flights between Belgium (home base Brussels) and Denmark, England,
France, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

VLM Airlines Latest news about VLM Airlines
Flights between Belgium (home base) and England, Germany, Guernsey,
Italy, Jersey, Luxembourg and Netherlands

VolareWeb Search and Compare Latest news about VolareWeb
Flights between Italy (home base Milan and Venice) and Belgium, Czech
Republic, England, France, Germany, Spain

Windjet Vola Warning: Booking engine doesn't work and Website in
Italian only! Name too generic to find any news
Flights within Italy (home base Sicily)

and for railways.... go to

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...r equest=yes&

Hope this will help you... for your planning...

Nisarg

(Joe) wrote in message . com...
I am from the United States, and my wife, child and myself, plan to
travel to Europe in June. I have most of my trip planned, except for
the travel from Rome to Frankfurt. I have looked at the ryanair's very
appealing price structure. However, I have also read that ryanair is
not very dependable, which could be very troublesome for us. I seek
advice, should I perhaps travel by train, consuming considerable
amount of vacation time or should I consider the scenery I would miss.
Certainly, I would like to balance cost, time spent traveling while
enjoying the scenery and local culture. Could someone please give me
pros and cons. Thank you.

Joe

Old February 15th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Frank F. Matthews

They are providing a minimal service cheap. Watch out for baggage
limitations but that usually hits long term travelers. As for check in
the major limit is that if you are not checked in 40 minutes early you
lose. That's checked in not in line. The cushion you need depends on
the sloth of your fellow travelers. FFM

Joe wrote:

I have just booked travel for 3 adults from Rome to Frankfurt (Hahn)
for 86 euros including taxes and service fees.
This seems too good to be true. Is there a catch when the taxes are
more than the flight itself? It just seems wrong.
Also ryanair requires 2 hours prior to departure arrival at the
airport. Is this also reasonable? If I have an 8:30 flight should I be
at the airport at 6:30? Is the airport open that early?
Thank you.
Joe

I flown with Ryanair several times (6) to and from "Frankfurt". (Once
to Rome.) I've never had any problems with them, but as others have
said, they allow no changes on any tickets, do not guarantee
connections, and don't provide any "extras" (like snack, drinks, or
assigned seats). I did have a problem in Gothenborg when the plan
couldn't land due to fog, but they bussed us to another airport
further inland where the incoming plane had landed. Other than a long
delay, everything was fine. One thing to be wary of is that they have
a small baggage allowance (1 piece checked, 15 kgs and 1 piece
carry-on, 7 kgs). They also don't fly to the "normal" Rome or
Frankfurt airports. In the case of Rome, they fly to Ciampino, which
is a ~30 min bus ride to Termini. The bus is timed to coincide with
flights and costs (IIRC, Feb 2003) EUR 8. In Frankfurt, they fly to
Hahn which is a 1 hour, 45 minute, EUR 12 ride from the main
station. (Hence the quotes around Frankfurt above.) Keeping these in
mind, my wife and I did elect to fly them as it's a long (14+ hours)
and expensive (EUR 175) train ride. Also, check into Volareweb
(http://www.volareweb.com) which flies Rome-Berlin, Milan-Berlin, or
Venice-Frankfurt (also Hahn).

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip,
Paul
--
++ A random selection of quotes ++
Science has to suffer when the know-nothings come traipsing through

Old February 15th, 2004, 07:16 PM
tim

"Owain" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote
| I have just booked travel for 3 adults from Rome to Frankfurt
| (Hahn) for 86 euros including taxes and service fees.
| This seems too good to be true. Is there a catch when the
| taxes are more than the flight itself? It just seems wrong.

The 'catch' is that Ryanair are an absolutely no-frills airline. Typically
with these, if the aircraft is stuck at the airport for three days that is
where you will be too - forget hotel accommodation, transfer to another
airline, or any form of cossetting. If you miss your flight, tough. If

your
flight is delayed and you miss a 'connection', tough.

| Also ryanair requires 2 hours prior to departure arrival at the
| airport. Is this also reasonable?

It's what they demand. The low-cost airlines are pretty merciless; if you
miss your check-in deadline you miss your flight and usually forfeit your
ticket.

The check-in deadline is 40 minutes. At that time Rome only has
that one flight so you will not miss your flight because you are stuck
behind people for other destinations (I am told that this has
happened elsewhere) .

| If I have an 8:30 flight should I be at the airport at 6:30?

Up to you. Don't plan on much later than 07:00. I have seen people
checked-in late, but don't count on it. At the smallest airports the
staff at the check-in desk have to go to the lounge to count you
onto the plane and they have to pack-up on time.

| Is the airport open that early?

I would expect so. Most airports have departures that early.

Should be, check-in counter may not be, but you start queueing

nonetheless.

On the up side, you've paid next to nothing for your flights, their pilots
are as well-trained and their aircraft as well-maintained as any other
European airline, and Ryanair *will* get you there eventually.

Take a plastic bottle of water and a book for any long waits :-)

a 'three-day' book?

tim

Owain

Old February 15th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Jim Ley

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:54:50 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote
| I have just booked travel for 3 adults from Rome to Frankfurt
| (Hahn) for 86 euros including taxes and service fees.
| This seems too good to be true. Is there a catch when the
| taxes are more than the flight itself? It just seems wrong.

The 'catch' is that Ryanair are an absolutely no-frills airline. Typically
with these, if the aircraft is stuck at the airport for three days that is
where you will be too - forget hotel accommodation, transfer to another
airline, or any form of cossetting. If you miss your flight, tough. If your
flight is delayed and you miss a 'connection', tough.

Or take out some travel insurance and use that if the airline fails, I
never understand people who do both, fly full service so "nothing can
go wrong" but then pay loads more again so that if anything does they
can get their insurance co. to pay for it to be sorted (I generally do
neither on weekends away, although I often have annual insurance which
has some delay/miss component - never needed to use it though.

It's what they demand. The low-cost airlines are pretty merciless; if you
miss your check-in deadline you miss your flight and usually forfeit your
ticket.

I've never seen it demanded, and have regularly turned up well after
2hours in fact I've never turned up earlier of course I run the risk
of the desks being closed, and my missing the flight.

Jim.
Old February 16th, 2004, 12:05 AM
tim

wrote:

"Joe" wrote
| I have just booked travel for 3 adults from Rome to Frankfurt
| (Hahn) for 86 euros including taxes and service fees.
| This seems too good to be true. Is there a catch when the
| taxes are more than the flight itself? It just seems wrong.

The 'catch' is that Ryanair are an absolutely no-frills airline.

Typically
with these, if the aircraft is stuck at the airport for three days that

is
where you will be too - forget hotel accommodation, transfer to another
airline, or any form of cossetting. If you miss your flight, tough. If

your
flight is delayed and you miss a 'connection', tough.

Or take out some travel insurance and use that if the airline fails, I
never understand people who do both, fly full service so "nothing can
go wrong" but then pay loads more again so that if anything does they
can get their insurance co. to pay for it to be sorted (I generally do
neither on weekends away, although I often have annual insurance which
has some delay/miss component - never needed to use it though.

1) I think that you'll find the delayed flight compensation in insurance
is minimal (and non-existant on the return leg). The insurance Co take
the view that this is a breach of contract by the operator that should be
compensated for by them and is hence not insurable.
2) Most people buy insurance to cover them for the very major expense
should then suffer some expensive medical problem. The rest is just
add-on trivia.

Old February 16th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Dr. Paul Sanschagrin

If often seems too good to be true. Sometimes they give flights away
for "free". (I.e., you pay only the taxes.) A friend regularly flies
to/from Pisa for EUR 1 + taxes. As to getting to the airport early,
yes the airport is open at 6:30. In fact, I once arrived around then
for a flight to Sweden and was amazed as the airport was
_packed_. (This was even on a Sunday morning in March.) I would
suggest getting there at least a hour and 20 minutes before your
flight. You may not need it, but...

If you're interested, I stayed at the Apartmenthaus Zum Hahn
(http://www.apartmenthaus-zum-hahn.de) in the nearby village of
Buechenbeuren before my flight. Rooms are only EUR 35/night (single or
double), they offer free pick up at the airport (not sure about
drop-off, if not the taxi was EUR 10), they rooms were clean, and
the staff friendly. However, don't plan on spending the day there as
it's a _small_ village.

Enjoy your trip,
Paul

(
http://www.volareweb.com) which flies Rome-Berlin, Milan-Berlin, or
Venice-Frankfurt (also Hahn).

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip,
Paul
--
++ A random selection of quotes ++
Science has to suffer when the know-nothings come traipsing through
the laboratories, infecting the research with their religious beliefs
and political ideologies.
++ Bob Hebert, NY Times Columnist on the
targetting of peer-reviewed science by the
Traditional Values Coalition ++
Paul Sanschagrin
http://staff.uni-marburg.de/~sanschag
sanschag@ COMBINE
staff. THESE
uni-marburg. LINES
de

--
++ A random selection of quotes ++
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what
nobody has thought.
++ Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi, in Irving Good,
The Scientist Speculates (1962) ++
The main advantage of being famous is that when you bore people at
dinner parties, they think it's their fault
++ Henry Kissinger ++
Old February 17th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Joe

Regarding:1 piece checked, 15 kgs and 1 piece carry-on, 7 kgs

Since I will be in Europe for 3 weeks, I am sure to be over the 15kg
for my checkin as well as the 7Kg for my backpack. What do I do? If my
checkin in is 5 KG over, then will they charge me 30 euros? Times 3
people, that is 90 euros. Now it no longer looks like a good deal to
fly with ryan air.

Old February 17th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Miguel Cruz

Joe wrote:
Regarding:1 piece checked, 15 kgs and 1 piece carry-on, 7 kgs

Since I will be in Europe for 3 weeks, I am sure to be over the 15kg
for my checkin as well as the 7Kg for my backpack. What do I do?

Pack less? 22kg (almost 50 pounds) is an awful lot of crud to cart around,
even for a one-year trip.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old February 17th, 2004, 06:58 PM
tim

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
Regarding:1 piece checked, 15 kgs and 1 piece carry-on, 7 kgs

Since I will be in Europe for 3 weeks, I am sure to be over the 15kg
for my checkin as well as the 7Kg for my backpack. What do I do? If my
checkin in is 5 KG over, then will they charge me 30 euros? Times 3
people, that is 90 euros. Now it no longer looks like a good deal to
fly with ryan air.

If your carry-on is overweight you will be told to check it.
You will then be charged excess for everything that is over
the limit.

What I don't understand is how the fare become uncompetitive
only when you multiple up by the number of pax.

tim

Old February 17th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Joe

What I don't understand is how the fare become uncompetitive
only when you multiple up by the number of pax.

I am sure that my chekin bag will be over their limit. You add a
minimum of 90 euros on top of what I am paying, and the apparent risk
of flying with ryanair. Admittedly, the perceived risk of travel with
ryanair is not from my experience, but experiences others have shared.
Joe

om...