Southampton to London

Old April 27th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Jim

Default Southampton to London

Will be on our own for a few days following a cruise that ends in
Southampton.

Looks like the train from Southampton Central to London Waterloo is most
economical way to get to town.

Anybody confirm or suggest something else?

Thanks,

Jim

Old April 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM
freeda

Will be on our own for a few days following a cruise that ends in
Southampton.

Looks like the train from Southampton Central to London Waterloo is most
economical way to get to town.

Anybody confirm or suggest something else?

Where in London do you need to go?

Your other option is NE coach. It is about 1/2 the price and is especially
convenient to get to Heathrow.

On the wholes the trains are fairly reliable, leaving every 15 mins or so
during the day. Journey time is between 1h5m and 1h30m.

Old April 27th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Owain

"Jim" wrote
| Will be on our own for a few days following a cruise that ends
| in Southampton.
| Looks like the train from Southampton Central to London Waterloo
| is most economical way to get to town.
| Anybody confirm or suggest something else?

Long-distance coach probably cheaper, but a bit slower and less comfortable.

According to National Express (www.nationalexpress.com) direct buses from
Southampton Coach Station (Harbour Parade) to London Victoria Coach Station
run approx hourly and take approx 2h30. Economy Single fare GBP 12.00 (not
Fridays).

There are *some* direct services from the Cruise Ship Terminal - check the
online timetable. A Standard Single fare from the Ship Terminal on Friday is
GBP 18.00.

NOTE their luggage allowance: We have limited luggage space in the holds of
our coaches which is why we ask that each passenger only bring a maximum of
two medium sized suitcases weighing no more than 20kg each and one piece of
hand luggage with them when travelling by coach.

Their website says: We recommend that you book in advance as you would
otherwise be depending on the last minute availablity of seats. ... All
coaches have reclining seats, overhead lockers and toilet and washroom
facilities. Smoking is prohibited on board all coaches.

For comparison, a train from So'ton Central to London Waterloo could take as
little as 1h16 and a Standard Day Single ticket will be GBP 24.30. You might
be able to get a PriceBuster Day Single to London Victoria direct, or
changing at Barnham, or changing at Eastleigh and Barnham, or to London
Bridge changing at Eastleigh Barnham and Three Bridges. Those journeys could
take up to 2h50 and the PriceBuster Day Single is GBP 12.40 with up to 4
children at GBP 1 each

All fares checked at www.scotrail.co.uk and may be subject to availability
and date/time of travel.

Owain