Royal Caribbean Signs Letter of Intent to Build New Generation of Ships

Old February 12th, 2011, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Royal Caribbean Signs Letter of Intent to Build New Generation of Ships

MIAMI and PAPENBURG, Germany, Feb. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --
Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. has signed a letter of intent with
shipyard Meyer Werft to build the first of a new generation of Royal
Caribbean International cruise ships. Developed under the code-name
"Project Sunshine," the new vessel design incorporates new and exciting
features that take advantage of the best of Royal Caribbean's
experience and imagination. The project is a result of over a year of
dedicated research and development.

The order calls for one ship to be delivered in the Fall of 2014 with
an option for a second ship for Spring 2015. The 158,000 Gross
Registered Tons (GRT) new build will carry just over 4,100 guests based
on double occupancy. The estimated all-in cost per berth is about euro
170,000. This all-in cost includes the yard's base contract price plus
everything needed to design, operate and build the vessel, from
architect fees to supervision costs and all loose inventories from
computers to art and bed linens.
"Royal Caribbean has worked hard to earn a reputation of offering the
most innovative ships in the cruise industry and this next generation
will not disappoint," said Richard D. Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal
Caribbean Cruises, Ltd. "While we continue our policy of keeping our
newest ideas and features under wraps during the early stages of
construction, I can say that I am very excited about the passion and
imagination that our teams have devoted to the project. Project
Sunshine builds on the best ideas of our existing ships and adds
exciting new activities and entertainment concepts. It will offer
features for everyone: from grand, spectacular spaces to small intimate
settings; from active, invigorating activities to the serenity of more
personal space; and from a plethora of dining alternatives to a
cornucopia of opportunities for families. I am also excited about the
energy efficiency and environmental technologies which have been
incorporated. Our existing ships are some of the most energy efficient
in the world and Project Sunshine takes this one further step. Based on
our over 20 years of experience with Meyer Werft, along with their
compelling proposal, we know they will deliver on all of the
innovations Royal Caribbean's guests have come to expect."
"Meyer Werft is pleased to be working with Royal Caribbean especially
in light of their reputation for building such innovative ships. I am
very happy we are continuing our long time partnership with Royal
Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and its brand Royal Caribbean International.
Their projects always present incredible opportunities for Meyer Werft
to create the latest cutting edge hardware in the cruise industry,"
said Bernard Meyer, managing partner of Meyer Werft shipyard.
The letter of intent is subject to customary conditions being
satisfactorily met.

Source Royal Caribean Limited.

--
Charles
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

So about the same size as Liberty, but roughly 13% more passenger
capacity. At least they didn't go for bigger than Oasis.

Bill

Old February 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 2/11/11 9:59 PM, Bill wrote:
So about the same size as Liberty, but roughly 13% more passenger
capacity. At least they didn't go for bigger than Oasis.

Bill

I think Oasis and Allure became too much of a financial burden for the
company. With that much money invested in a single project, you can put
the whole corporation at risk. That's never wise.

The designers and Engineers can probably design something bigger than
Oasis, but cost is going to get in the way. liberty size is a much
safer alternative financially.

--Tom
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Tom K
wrote:

On 2/11/11 9:59 PM, Bill wrote:
So about the same size as Liberty, but roughly 13% more passenger
capacity. At least they didn't go for bigger than Oasis.

Bill

I think Oasis and Allure became too much of a financial burden for the
company. With that much money invested in a single project, you can put
the whole corporation at risk. That's never wise.

The designers and Engineers can probably design something bigger than
Oasis, but cost is going to get in the way. liberty size is a much
safer alternative financially.

Maybe but I think those two ships are cash cows. You have to go on one
to see. And they have been able to charge higher fares than on their
other ships. I think a major problem with building more Oasis class is
port facilities. They would need another large homeport facility and
they would need other ports to be able to handle the ships. As far as I
know right now the only other Caribbean port they don't dock at that
could handle Oasis class is St. Kitts, and Costa Maya which was
replaced by Falmouth, which was specifically built for Oasis. Some
other ports like Roatan are planning to enlarge their docks and dredge
but that is a few years away.

--
Charles