Singapore Airport-8 hours to kill!

Old August 9th, 2004, 04:29 PM
ht

Default Singapore Airport-8 hours to kill!

Don't miss the world-class museum at the airport showcasing the
methods of whipping meted out to petty criminals (jaywalking,
gum-chewing, etc) in the sunny island of singapore

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 02:58:25 GMT, "Goldwatch"
wrote:

Hi all.

We will soon be travelling to Phuket from Sydney, however we will have
approx 8 hours in transit in Singapoer (daytime).

Can anyone suggest any ideas/places to go to fill this void. Maybe a great
restaurant near to airport. Open to suggestions.

Many thanks

GW

Old August 10th, 2004, 06:39 AM
hvpl

Always trawlling newsgroups to vent their frustration on their own country.
Why do they remain, I will never know!

Anyway, 8 hours in Singapore is not to kill but an opportunity to see a
diverse amalgamation of cultures & social classes.
As suggested by several posters, the MRT is the way to go. Buy one of those
souveneir cards & hop on. Head for Tampines & walk around an upper middle
class neighbourhood. Reverse direction & see what Bedok has to offer (middle
class). Then, head towards the city, stopping at Paya Lebar for Malay
culture, Aljunied offers local Chinatown-like shops & eating places. Bugis
in the direction of Golden Landmark is Indian Muslim. In the direction of
Sim Lim Square is the centre for electronics & computers. Further on is the
(mainly) Indian concentration along Serangoon Road. Try their specialty
"fish-head curry" along Race Course Road. Raffles Place is the centre of
buzzing Singapore's financial district. Switch to the N-E line to Orchard
Road's prime shopping district. Continue further north & circle line for
suburbia, some secondary jungle & glimpses of the inland water catchment
areas, the Straits of Johor & the Malaysian coastline. Then, onto the
(industrial) west of Singapore. Switch trains at Jurong East for the E-W
line back to Changi Airport. Obviously, 8 hours will not be enough!

Enjoy.

Old August 10th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Neil Raines

We will soon be travelling to Phuket from Sydney, however we will have

approx 8 hours in transit in Singapoer (daytime).

Can anyone suggest any ideas/places to go to fill this void. Maybe a

great restaurant near to airport. Open to suggestions.

Many thanks

GW

Take the free bus tour around Singapore that is provided by the
airport for passenger in transit.

Hi again.

Appreciate the comments. We would actually prefer to get out of the

airport
for this period as have paased through it so many times during the last
three or four years. There are only so many airport shops and restaurants

can handle!!!

GW

Take the MRT into town, either into City Hall or Bugis and wander around. If
into things IT, walk from Bugis to Sim Lim and shop.

Old August 17th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Sandy Cruden

There is a free tour of Singapore city available to transit passengers There
is a booking desk in the terminal.
Sandy