Why is Fruit So Expensive in Jap ?

Old August 27th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Robert

Default Why is Fruit So Expensive in Jap ?

I kept reading references to fruit being very expensive in Japan.

Why is that ??? what's the big deal with apples & bananas & such
Japan may not produce much fruit but I suppose fruit is cheap as dirt with
Jap. buying power in tropical places like China, Vietnam, Philipines...

Old August 27th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:14:03 -0400, the renowned "Robert"
wrote:

I kept reading references to fruit being very expensive in Japan.

Why is that ??? what's the big deal with apples & bananas & such
Japan may not produce much fruit but I suppose fruit is cheap as dirt with
Jap. buying power in tropical places like China, Vietnam, Philipines...

They sell absolutely perfect and lovingly packaged fruit as gifts etc.
for an order of magnitude more than just a piece of fruit you'd wolf
down in a minute is worth. Plus their distribution system has been one
of the most inefficient in the world. Maybe it's gotten better with
big supermarkets in recent years..

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Old August 27th, 2004, 06:21 PM
PeterL

"Robert" wrote in message
I kept reading references to fruit being very expensive in Japan.

Why is that ??? what's the big deal with apples & bananas & such
Japan may not produce much fruit but I suppose fruit is cheap as dirt with
Jap. buying power in tropical places like China, Vietnam, Philipines...

Prices are kept artifically high to protect local growers from competition.

BTW the word "Jap" is considered derogatory.

Old August 27th, 2004, 11:08 PM
John W.

"Robert" wrote in message ...
I kept reading references to fruit being very expensive in Japan.

Why is that ??? what's the big deal with apples & bananas & such
Japan may not produce much fruit but I suppose fruit is cheap as dirt with
Jap. buying power in tropical places like China, Vietnam, Philipines...

Basically they do because they can, and nobody raises enough of a fuss
to change things.

John W.

Old August 28th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Chris Blunt

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:21:24 -0700, "PeterL"
wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message
I kept reading references to fruit being very expensive in Japan.

Why is that ??? what's the big deal with apples & bananas & such
Japan may not produce much fruit but I suppose fruit is cheap as dirt with
Jap. buying power in tropical places like China, Vietnam, Philipines...

Prices are kept artifically high to protect local growers from competition.

BTW the word "Jap" is considered derogatory.

"Jap" could be, but I assume the "Jap." as used above is just an
abbreviation for "Japanese"

Old August 28th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Rick

Excellent question. . Japan's market is essentially closed to foreign
markets that can compete with the Japanese market. If the U.S. and other
nations imposed the same duty on Japanese imports as Japan places on all
imported products, you would see a dramatic drop in prices for many Japanese
imports, including cars, trucks, apples, oranges, and rice. Believe it or
not, California grows rice that is equal to or better than rice grown in
Japan. Check how many pounds or ounces were exported to Japan from the U.S.
last year.

As for automobiles, Japan dumps their vehicles in the U.S. at artificially
low prices to support Japan's labor force. If you place the same
restrictions on Japanese cars as they place on U.S. cars, the Jap stock
market would collapse, resulting in all Japanese eating nothing but cheap
California rice.