Best time to book for Christmas flights

Old June 4th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Widya Santoso

Default Best time to book for Christmas flights

I'm looking to fly into the US around Christmas time as part of a Round
The World fare. The thing with this fare is that when flying into the
country I can either fly into one city and then go on to Europe or Asia,
or fly into a coastal city, make my own way across the country and leave
from the other coast.

I'm wondering when the best time to book flights across country are? I'm
looking to fly from the Washington DC area to Los Angeles, and try to get
low fares (or as low as the season permits) before the rush happens.

Thanks for any help.
--
Widya Santoso +61 2 6288-0405
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep
Old June 4th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Steve

pricing is more sensitive to when you fly as opposed to when you buy

airlines always black out lowest prices before and after holidays and
usually just the 3 days before and after but Christmas blacks out nearly all
days beginning as early as 12/13 and ending as late as 1/7

the only exceptions are 12/25 1/1 and possibly 12/28 or 12/29 for some
carriers and some routes

for airfares, the greater risk is missing the lowest price because someone
else bought the allotted seats

Old June 4th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Dick Locke

On 4 Jun 2004 04:44:32 -0600, Widya Santoso wrote:

I'm looking to fly into the US around Christmas time as part of a Round
The World fare. The thing with this fare is that when flying into the
country I can either fly into one city and then go on to Europe or Asia,
or fly into a coastal city, make my own way across the country and leave
from the other coast.

I'm wondering when the best time to book flights across country are? I'm
looking to fly from the Washington DC area to Los Angeles, and try to get
low fares (or as low as the season permits) before the rush happens.

Thanks for any help.

If the flights are after Dec. 15, I suggest booking no later than
Oct. 15.
Old June 5th, 2004, 02:50 AM
cj

Widya Santoso wrote:
I'm looking to fly into the US around Christmas time as part of a Round
The World fare. The thing with this fare is that when flying into the
country I can either fly into one city and then go on to Europe or Asia,
or fly into a coastal city, make my own way across the country and leave
from the other coast.

I'd compare the costs for doing each scenario you mentioned above.

I'm wondering when the best time to book flights across country are? I'm
looking to fly from the Washington DC area to Los Angeles, and try to get
low fares (or as low as the season permits) before the rush happens.

If you aren't looking to get any Frequent Flier points and the goal is
to keep costs as low as possible. I'd suggest going from LA area to
Washington on JetBlue (IAD to Long Beach) or Southwest (BWI to Orange)
as soon as they have them available. Jet Blue fare is approx $176 +
tax, but Southwest only has fares through October available at this
moment. My preference is Jet Blue since you can get a seat assignment,
as opposed to Southwest is a free for all.

Sounds like you are going to be taking a nice trip. Enjoy!
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Widya Santoso

Thanks everyone for the tips, they're things to ponder. It's a good thing
I'm still six months away.