Off topic, but fun

Old June 16th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Mary Foster

Tobie, of course I remember those party lines. But I also remember the
hearings that destroyed so many with the accusations of communist
leanings. I also remember that my father had a strange little machine
that played music from a wax cylinder!!! Wish I had it, could sell it
for LOTS.
Mary

Tobie Gerbrandt wrote:

Hi Mary,

Party lines, although sometimes probably used politically, were not
political. They were phone lines that were used by several different
families, and you had to listen before you called to see if another person
was on the line before you gave the operator the number you wanted to call.

We didn't even have electricity when I was young and we had to walk about a
mile to the neighbor's house to make a call, and usually it was busy for a
long time. Some people would stay on the line to listen to the other people
for hours to get the latest gossip.

BTW the only ones I was not familiar with was Butch wax (what is that?) and
I'm not quite sure, but I think PF Flyers were canvas running shoes with a
red wing shaped trademark on the side.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"Mary Foster" wrote in message

I remember every single one, had personal experience with all but the butch
wax and party lines (as in political). I also remember Blue Waltz cologne,
"the new look", and wiener roasts over an open fire in the back yard in
town. And much, much more.
Mary

Rosalie B. wrote:

"Bill" wrote:

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones
you were told about

I remember all but

1. Blackjack chewing gum
10. Butch wax
12. Peashooters
22. Cork popguns

and I think those were mostly boys things, especially the last 2 or 3

And I'm not sure about

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

But I used to collect milk bottle tops.

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

grandma Rosalie

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Surfer E2468

Must be showing my age,i remember ALL of them,how about the long paper
strips with candy buttons on them?

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Surfer E2468

We still have 78rpm records,and my old record machine to play them
on,those were the good old days.
surfer e2468

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Surfer E2468

How about red wax lips,and licorice root,was like chewing a piece of
wood,but very tasty

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:29 AM
Surfer E2468

How about ZOOT SUITS where the boy's and men's pants were so tight they
had zippers on the legs so they could get them on.
surfer

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Surfer E2468

Remember the old wash boards you had to rub your clothes on to get them
clean,and wring them out by hand,no dryers only clothes lines,and
wooden clothes pins

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Surfer E2468

I cut up brown paper bags in strips to wrap my hair in to make it
curl,if i had had any sense i would have been the one to invent
rollers,and if no bags were available i would use the wooden clothpins

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Surfer E2468

K-MART sells a comination record player,and radio looks like the old
time philco radio's the cost is around $85.00

Old June 16th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Rosalie B.

"Tobie Gerbrandt" wrote:

snip
BTW the only ones I was not familiar with was Butch wax (what is that?) and

I think it was to make hair in a butch cut stand up straight or
something.

I'm not quite sure, but I think PF Flyers were canvas running shoes with a
red wing shaped trademark on the side.

Well I thought PF Flyers were sleds

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"Mary Foster" wrote in message
I remember every single one, had personal experience with all but the butch
wax and party lines (as in political). I also remember Blue Waltz cologne,
"the new look", and wiener roasts over an open fire in the back yard in

I remember the "new look". My best friend got a lot of handmedowns
from her cousin in NYC that were now too short.

town. And much, much more.
Mary

grandma Rosalie
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:06 AM
clint

Pleased that the "Home" has a computer! haha