Shangri-La Caribe and Lafitte in Playa Del Carmen

Old March 20th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Jim

Default Shangri-La Caribe and Lafitte in Playa Del Carmen

Hi, my wife and I stayed at the Shangri-La Caribe in Playa Del Carmen
back in 1994 for our honeymoon and we're now contemplating going back
with our kids. When we there we also walked up the beach to La Posada
del Capitán Lafitte for breakfast one morning (both resorts are
operated by the Turqoise Reef Group).

http://www.mexicoholiday.com/index.html

Anyway, was wondering if anyone has had any recent experiences at
either resort. We really liked Shangri-LA when we there, mostly
because it was far enough out of town that it didn't feel crowded, was
quiet, relaxing (no phones/TV), food was great, and generally felt a
little more remote than most other places in Playa Del Carmen. Lafitte
was even more remote. Having said that, it looked as if the town was
begining to encroach on the resort (at least Shangri-La) back then.

Have both resorts maintained their quiet and uncrowded status, or is
this history?

Also, generally interested if both resorts have retained the original
charm, quality food, etc., and if people still recommend them.

Thanks.

-jim
Old March 20th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Brian K

On 03/20/2004 2:28 PM Jim wrote:

[...]

Jim,

You might take a look at http://www.playadelcarmeninfo.com/ It has a
very active group of forums hosted by locals. You should be able to
find the information you want in details.

Talk about expansion, a dock was started last year just north of El Gran
Porto Real. There are discussions and pictures of the dock on this
forum as well.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.