Barcelona advice

Old March 31st, 2009, 10:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

Default Barcelona advice

"Pentaxuser" wrote in message

another idea for somewhere chic and cool, just to the inland side of
the placa catalunya is Omm.
"http://www.hotelomm.es/" its restaurant "Moo" is by the Roca brothers
and is as good as it gets.

Thanks P. Yes, I've heard of the restaurant.

I think we may actually go for a more traditional hotel. I've heard good
things about the Avenida Palace.

Ian

Old April 1st, 2009, 12:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Mar 31, 2:50*am, "Ian F." wrote:
I've heard good
things about the Avenida Palace.

I just got back from a trip that included a stay at the Hotel Avenida
Palace. It is a nice hotel in a good location for a first-time
tourist. I went as a part of a tour group, so I don't really know how
much it costs, but it definitely is not a budget hotel. It is
conveniently close to Placa de Catalunya, Las Ramblas, and the
Eixample. Except for our bus tour of the city highlights, we walked
everywhere.

One thing I did not like was the high charge for internet access. It
was something like €10 for one hour and €17 for one day at a "low"
data rate, with even higher charges for a higher data rate. As far as
I know, nobody in our group paid. (In contrast, our lower cost 3*
hotel in Madrid included internet access, both wireless wifi and wired
ethernet).
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

wrote in message

I just got back from a trip that included a stay at the Hotel Avenida
Palace.

Thanks for that information - and thanks to everyone who responded.

I'm still undecided about a hotel. Money is not as much of an issue as
location and bedroom air-conditioning (which many of the older hotels do not
have). We're more inclined to stay in a hotel with character rather than a
square-box Marriott or similar, so we may have to forego the air-con.

Ian

Old April 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

wrote in message things about the Avenida Palace.

I just got back from a trip that included a stay at the Hotel Avenida
Palace. It is a nice hotel in a good location for a first-time
tourist. I went as a part of a tour group, so I don't really know how
much it costs, but it definitely is not a budget hotel. It is
conveniently close to Placa de Catalunya, Las Ramblas, and the
Eixample. Except for our bus tour of the city highlights, we walked
everywhere.

One thing I did not like was the high charge for internet access. It
was something like €10 for one hour and €17 for one day at a "low"
data rate, with even higher charges for a higher data rate. As far as
I know, nobody in our group paid. (In contrast, our lower cost 3*
hotel in Madrid included internet access, both wireless wifi and wired
ethernet).
H. Avenida is a great hotel. I stayed there a few years ago. Cataluya is a
fine transportation hub.
Personally I'd see what their rates were and then put in some tame
Priceline bids in for a 5 or 4 star in the Ramblas &/or East areas. That is
of course if you KNOW you're going to be there date certain.
Have fun, s

Old April 1st, 2009, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian F.

"Steve Cain" wrote in message

Personally I'd see what their rates were and then put in some tame
Priceline bids in for a 5 or 4 star in the Ramblas &/or East areas. That
is of course if you KNOW you're going to be there date certain.

I'm very wary of that, but will try the forum that tells you which hotels
Priceline and Hotwire normally use. Can't remember the URL but will dig
around and find out.

*digs around*

Ah, here we a http://www.betterbidding.com/ Thanks for the tip, I'd
forgotten all about them.

Ian

Old April 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

[]
We'll spend a couple of nights (not consecutive) in Barcelona starting
next week, and I haven't booked yet. Seems like OK availability, and I'm
not averse to staying out of centre, as mentioned by another poster.
(The novotel.)

Decided to stay at the Amrey Sant Pau for £46 (no breakfast) next week
for a night. It's a bit out of the centre (next to Hospital de Sant
Pau), but near the metro, and very spic and span- I stayed there when I
was teaching in Barcelona so am used to it.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

I'm very wary of that, but will try the forum that tells you which hotels
Priceline and Hotwire normally use. Can't remember the URL but will

biddingfortravel.com does a good job. Also, betterbidding.com