scandinavia

Old April 28th, 2013, 06:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default scandinavia

"JohnT" wrote:
"David Horne" wrote in message
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

It is also the case if you are transferring in the USA from an International flight.

perhaps oddly, I haven't done that since 1998.
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old April 28th, 2013, 06:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 05:55:20 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there

It something that has happened to me on every flight I've made with a
'transfer' for the past five years.
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there

It's to stop passengesr arriving from countries with inferior security
smuggling explosives and weapons into the airport.

Does it work?

I mean, have they actually ever caught anyone doing this?

Or is it just yet another way of persuading people not to fly?
Old April 28th, 2013, 01:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there

It's to stop passengesr arriving from countries with inferior security
smuggling explosives and weapons into the airport.

And to **** off many buying duty free (liquids) at airports outside
Europe...

(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!
That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

It is also the case if you are transferring in the USA from an International flight.

perhaps oddly, I haven't done that since 1998.

Nor I, because I've not traveled anywhere since 2003 (and my last couple
of trips were non-stops within the US). Once I began to find walking
difficult, I realized I was spending most of my stay in my hotel room,
watching TV in a foreign tongue. That seemed a rather expensive way to
improve my language skills, especially when the overcrowding and
increasingly strict security measures had made the actual travel less
than enjoyable. (If I want to watch foreign-language TV, we have five
Spanish channels in Phoenix, and I could actually USE an improvement to
my Spanish.)
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Erilar wrote:

[...]

Traveling WITH hotel when you have scenery on both sides cuts down on the
walking 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go through
security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there

It's to stop passengesr arriving from countries with inferior security
smuggling explosives and weapons into the airport.

And to **** off many buying duty free (liquids) at airports outside
Europe...

That is most certainly true. If you have a connecting onward flight,
you have to make sure when you buy duty free liquids that the vendor
seals them in a tamper-free bag good enough to satisfy security checks.
There is a way round it - you go out of the security area at the
transfer airport, and check the stuff in for the second leg.
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

And NEVER to plan to change planes in
Oslo on a Friday afternoon! They make even transfer passengers go
through security again, and the line wound almost out the door!

That's the case for any European transfer flight I've been on...

not in copenhagen the last two times I transferred there

It's to stop passengesr arriving from countries with inferior security
smuggling explosives and weapons into the airport.

And to **** off many buying duty free (liquids) at airports outside
Europe...

That is most certainly true. If you have a connecting onward flight,
you have to make sure when you buy duty free liquids that the vendor
seals them in a tamper-free bag good enough to satisfy security checks.

That's not enough, I'm afraid. These sealed bags will only be accepted
from a limited number of airports outside the EEA- and exclude any in
India, as I found out...

There is a way round it - you go out of the security area at the
transfer airport, and check the stuff in for the second leg.

Rarely practical though...

Old April 30th, 2013, 07:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:32:44 +0200, Tom P wrote:

That is most certainly true. If you have a connecting onward flight,
you have to make sure when you buy duty free liquids that the vendor
seals them in a tamper-free bag good enough to satisfy security checks.

That doesn't always work.

Certainly airside security at Heathrow confiscates some sealed bags
because they don't trust the airports that sealed them. I've seen it
happen this year.

A BA hostess was carrying a sealed bag with a couple of bottles in it
from an African airport and she had it confiscated. She was, quite
rightly, livid.