Trip to Steamboat Springs, CO Tips and advice please!

Old November 5th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Service Tech

"britchicknyc" wrote in message
m...

Hello,

Although I have been to Colorado before I have never been to Steamboat
Springs. My husband and I are going the weekend after thanksgiving, and
after any advice to great places to eat, things to do etc....

He is a keen snowboader, and I am a beginner skier, so i shall want to
do something other than ski.

I think we shall also spend a day at Estes Park (from DEN) vaguely
enroute. If anyone knows any where lovely to stay, all hints and tips
gratefully received.

Thanks!!!

Don't know much bout CO. Except I service a company in Loveland. Hotels
were full on my last visit, so I stayed in Estes Park. Definitely a great
little town. A beautiful drive through the Canyon. Estes Park is full of
small shops. Herds of Elk & Mountain Goats roam the streets. Really
Interesting. Also, if you saw the movie "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson.
I'm told that the Hotel where it was filmed is quite near Estes Park.

Have a safe trip.

Old November 5th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Steve Cain

Default Trip to Steamboat Springs, CO Tips and advice please!

"britchicknyc" wrote in message
m...

Hello,

Although I have been to Colorado before I have never been to Steamboat
Springs. My husband and I are going the weekend after thanksgiving, and
after any advice to great places to eat, things to do etc....

He is a keen snowboader, and I am a beginner skier, so i shall want to
do something other than ski.

I think we shall also spend a day at Estes Park (from DEN) vaguely
enroute. If anyone knows any where lovely to stay, all hints and tips
gratefully received.

The Steamboat Springs "onsen" otherwise known as Strawberry Park Hot
Springs. http://www.strawberryhotsprings.com/...at-springs.com
Nice place to lick your wounds following a day of falling about. s

Old November 6th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Martin

I think we shall also spend a day at Estes Park (from DEN) vaguely
enroute. If anyone knows any where lovely to stay, all hints and tips
gratefully received.

If you're looking to spend a night in Estes Park, you might consider
the Stanley Hotel. The elegant Stanley Hotel was built by the
inventor of the Stanley Steamer automobile. Much later it served as
the inspiration for Stephen King's book "The Shining". The hotel is
supposed to be haunted. Stephen King lived in Colorado very early in
his career and this is reflected in his books "The Shining" and "The
Stand".

Martin

Old November 7th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Auntie Em

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 14:45:25 +0000, britchicknyc
wrote:

Hello,

Although I have been to Colorado before I have never been to Steamboat
Springs. My husband and I are going the weekend after thanksgiving, and
after any advice to great places to eat, things to do etc....

He is a keen snowboader, and I am a beginner skier, so i shall want to
do something other than ski.

I think we shall also spend a day at Estes Park (from DEN) vaguely
enroute. If anyone knows any where lovely to stay, all hints and tips
gratefully received.

Thanks!!!

Don't bother. Except for the eastern part, Colorado all looks the
same.

Em
Be careful what you wish for....

Old November 8th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Dr. Morbius

Why do people with no personal experience feel the need to offer
their totally ignorant opinions on something about which they know
nothing! Ignore the poster who suggested a stayover in Estes Park -
that's the guy who said he has no experience with Colorado but will
give you advice anyway.

Estes Park is a toursit trap par excellence during the high season -
the summer. The only reason to go there is because it is the access
to Rocky Mountain National Park. It is a dead end during the
winter because Trail Ridge Road is closed during the winter which is
the only access from Estes to Granby which will then eventually take
you to Steamboat. It is nowhere near the route to Steamboat!

If you want a stopover, consider Vail which IS on the way.

Great places to eat in Steamboat:

Antares
Riggio's
Cottonwood Grille

If you want a compromise to boarding/downhill skiing consider renting
some snowshoes and heading out to one of the many hiking trails around
town or up on Rabbit Ears Pass. But, if you are going on a x-country
ski trail, be courteous and don't walk on the ski tracks. You can
also sign up for a snowmobile tour although since I'm a backcountry
skiier, I really don't like those machines!

The only problem you might find is that there's no guarantee that
you'll find great skiing just after Thanksgiving. The upper part of
the mountain will probably be open but the lower part will probably be
icy and/or slushy. Regardless, you'll still have a great time -
Steamboat is terrific.