Duty free goods

Old November 7th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article
,
"Wallbanger" wrote:

Hi,

Can a visitor claim the sales tax back from goods purchased. I am going to
California and hope to buy some goods worth about $500 and take them with me
to Australia

Do you know a site where I could get more info?

Probably http://www.state.ca.us but the short answer to your question
is, no.

Old November 14th, 2004, 02:14 PM
SP Cook

"Wallbanger" wrote in message

Can a visitor claim the sales tax back from goods purchased. I am going to
California and hope to buy some goods worth about $500 and take them with me
to Australia

Do you know a site where I could get more info?

The USA has no such program.

First, "Duty" is a tax paid to customs in your own country for
something you bought overseas.

Second, "Duty-free" is generally a store situated in such a place as
the only people who shop there are leaving the country, such as inside
the departure lounge at a big airport or between the USA and Canada
customs posts at the land border. Goods sold there are not taxed by
the country you are leaving, and the idea is to buy goods that are
within the "duty free" exemption that your home country allows. Major
deals there would be liquor and cigarettes, which are among the few
goods nationally taxed by the USA, the tax representing the majority
of the price, as in most western countries.

Third, sales tax is a %age tax on a sale. The USA, unlike most
western countries, does not have a national sales tax, in the first
place. Tax is collected by the states. This can vary from 0% to
14.5%, depending on the type of good and the state. This is simply
not refundable, except for a small program in Louisana. In the New
Orleans airport you can show your non-US passport, your ticket to a
foreign airport and your sales receipts and get the Louisana state tax
refunded on the spot. Only such program going.

Canada, which has a national sales tax, and most Euro countries, which
have national sales taxes, have programs to obtain refunds. This is
probably the source of the confusion.