Norwegian Gem

Old June 19th, 2010, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

Default Norwegian Gem

"MAS" wrote in message ...
On 6/18/2010 11:53 PM, Jean O'Boyle wrote:
Hi Jack,
The Gem really was not our first choice, as we have done the
Mediterranean
on the Renaissance 7 when she was still under the previous ownership and
also the newer HAL Westerdam and they were both extremely enjoyable. Our
daughter, who is with a medical team in Africa, is meeting up with us in
Venice several days before we all sail together... our itinerary is
Split,
Croatia and the Greek Isles. Living in and traveling throughout Africa,
she
has no need for a formal wardrobe and so we will have to go with a
mixture
of smart casual/casual on this one and for that reason we chose NCL Gem.
She
has never been to Venice nor the Greek Isles so we are excited about
sharing
this with her.

Thanks again!

--Jean

Jean,

I would imagine that it doesn't make too much difference what ship you're
on, if you're going to the Greek Isles :-)

Marsha

Probably so, Marsha, but in the ship's dining room on other lines it would,
so we chose one that we would not feel out of place on formal nights.

--Jean

Old June 19th, 2010, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

Marsha, here's a video which is especially made for smartypants like
you.
http://XXXXXXX.com/5gt7

This was not from the real Jean O'Boyle.

sue

Thanks, Sue, I'm sorry you ended up being the target by the envious creature
who climbed out of its slime.
What hateful and sick this troll can be.

--Jean

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Jun 18, 1:17*am, "Jean O'Boyle" wrote:
We have taken the Norwegian Spirit this year, enjoyed her, and plan to take
the Norwegian Gem on a Mediterranean cruise this September.
Has anyone here been on her recently who can give me a report on her?

It just Dawned on me that you shouldn't be Jaded by taking an Epic
journey on the Gem. She is a Jewel of a ship and your Spirits will
rise and you will smile showing your Pearly white teeth as you sail
away with Pride as the Sun sets and the Stars come out in the night
Sky on the Sea.

The Sea still lives in my heart ...
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball

On 6/19/2010 5:10 PM, number6 wrote:
On Jun 18, 1:17 am, "Jean wrote:
We have taken the Norwegian Spirit this year, enjoyed her, and plan to take
the Norwegian Gem on a Mediterranean cruise this September.
Has anyone here been on her recently who can give me a report on her?

It just Dawned on me that you shouldn't be Jaded by taking an Epic
journey on the Gem. She is a Jewel of a ship and your Spirits will
rise and you will smile showing your Pearly white teeth as you sail
away with Pride as the Sun sets and the Stars come out in the night
Sky on the Sea.

The Sea still lives in my heart ...

A+ for cleverness, number6!
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:56:03 -0500, Jean O'Boyle wrote:

"MAS" wrote in message ...
[...]

So right, Jean, I look like warmed over death in formal and you, wow,
images of rotted mummies come to mind
--
sue
Old June 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ohioguy

One lounge has a bowling alley

I have to ask: doesn't the sound from the bowling alley bleed through
the decks and cause some annoyance for at least a number of the guests?

Is that the sort of room you get when you go with the cheapest choices?
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Ohioguy wrote:
One lounge has a bowling alley

I have to ask: doesn't the sound from the bowling alley bleed through
the decks and cause some annoyance for at least a number of the guests?

Is that the sort of room you get when you go with the cheapest choices?

I haven't been following the Gem, so can't answer your question about
this ship. Noise on any ship is the reason experienced cruisers pick
their cabin carefully. The best cabins to pick are the ones that have
cabins above and below yours and we never book a cabin that is under the
dining room, lido deck, theater, lounges etc.

sue
Old June 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 6/20/10 7:58 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
One lounge has a bowling alley

I have to ask: doesn't the sound from the bowling alley bleed through
the decks and cause some annoyance for at least a number of the guests?

Is that the sort of room you get when you go with the cheapest choices?

They'd probably put something like that in an area where it wouldn't
impact cabins around it. Like the ice rinks on Royal Caribbean Ships.

As far as cheapest choices, cabins without windows are the cheapest, and
they could (and likely are) on all or many of the decks that have more
expensive cabins, like those with windows, those with private balconies,
and suites. It's a matter us using the available space, regardless of
where it is.

--Tom
Old June 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 18:05:56 +0200, peter wrote:

Dining room and theater aren't used at night, which is the only time
silence is an issue.

Noise is an issue anytime. I never want to hear furniture being moved
upstairs, not even during the day.

Most outside noise is from the hallways, particularly
near the elevators or near washing machines. You're more likely to hear
noise from people there than from the bowling alley.

The cabin doors on the Gem are well sound-proofed. The noises we heard
came from the upper deck, not from the corridor.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_4_]

On Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:11:56 -0400, Sue Mullen wrote:

Ohioguy wrote:
One lounge has a bowling alley

I have to ask: doesn't the sound from the bowling alley bleed through
the decks and cause some annoyance for at least a number of the guests?

Is that the sort of room you get when you go with the cheapest choices?

I haven't been following the Gem, so can't answer your question about
this ship. Noise on any ship is the reason experienced cruisers pick
their cabin carefully. The best cabins to pick are the ones that have
cabins above and below yours and we never book a cabin that is under the
dining room, lido deck, theater, lounges etc.

sue

Good points, Sue. I pick my cabin though in hopes of getting some long
and hard stuff from my cabin boy!

-- Jean

now deleting entire thread