Payment in Austalia^

Old December 14th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Marco

Default Payment in Austalia^

hi all

what kind of payment is recommended in Australia.

thanks
marco
Old December 14th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Ralph Holz

A full one.

what kind of payment is recommended in Australia.

Old December 14th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Ralph Holz

A full one.

what kind of payment is recommended in Australia.

Old December 14th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Roger Martin

"Marco" wrote in message
hi all

what kind of payment is recommended in Australia.

thanks
marco

I'd say a VISA credit card is the most accepted plastic money, but if you
have a Cirrus card for use in an automatic teller machine (ATM) then almost
all banks will allow you to withdraw cash from their ATMs. Cash is always
handy, but in some instances not acceptable - renting a car for instance,
most large hotels will take a pre authorisation on a credit card but may
expect full payment in advance if you want to pay cash.

ATM withdrawals of cash can attract large charges per transaction from your
own bank so its advisable to take out the maximum allowed each time to avoid
those.

Avoid travellers cheques - not widely accepted except in banks or large
hotels.

Old December 14th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

Agreed with Roger - fantastic plastic is pretty universal, although Amex is
rarer and specialty cards (department stores, fuel, etc.) from your home
country will probably be universally refused, even if affiliated with one of
the big enterprises (e.g. Ultramar Mastercard and the like). The more rural
you are, the more likely that cash talks.

You will also tend to get a better exchange rate by putting a credit balance
on your card at home and using your credit card to withdraw cash at ATMs.
Beware any flat forex charges your card may levy (e.g. at CIBC it's a flat
$5 I think regardless of whether you are withdrawing $10 or $500). Also of
course beware credit card interest (hence putting a credit balance on the
card first).

Check your home messages after the first day or so - foreign exchange is a
flag to most credit cards and they may call you to verify the charge. If
they cannot contact you, they may block the card. Believe me, this is no
fun (although it's an interesting way to navigate the overseas foibles of a
particular country's telephone system). This can even be true if you call
the company before you leave (mileage varies by issuer).

In short, although cash talks in most places, Roger is quite correct that
plastic is pretty universal (in fact, in Australia cash IS plastic 8-)) and
some outfits - like hotels and car rentals - are not really set up to take
anything BUT.

HTH

in article , Roger Martin at

Old December 14th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Freda

I use Visa or masterdard for all transactions
over $20 AUD.
Also bring a debit card to get cash out of ATM
if you need cash.
Debit card may cost you $5AUD per transaction ,
but you would need to check with your banking
mob to see what they charge for overseas
handling of a debit card withdrawal.

BTW tipping is not usually done in Australia as
most people are on an award or EBA
(Enterprise Bargaining Agreement).
You may tip in restaurant if you so choose.
Most Australians try not to tip and actually
dont like the practise when travelling overseas.
Freda

--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake

Old December 15th, 2004, 12:05 AM
A Mate

Freda's spot on about tipping. It's rare except in silver service
restaurants - or when someone renders service well above and beyond what
they had to. And that's the way Australians would like to keep it!!!