Celebrity is setting cookies.

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

Default Celebrity is setting cookies.

On 5/31/2011 11:27 AM, Charles wrote:
Janet wrote:
For those who doubt:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...shooter19.html

That does not really prove anything except the others have the same
conspiracy theory that you do. The prices do fluctuate because cruise
lines and airlines have a yield management system. And maybe if you keep
looking at a price they raise it because they think you are really
interested. I don't think they are trying to keep you from finding out
about a price drop. What you are seeing is likely only a byproduct of their
yield management system.

You can set up Firefox to only allow cookies for a session in preferences
so there will be no cookies just for a particular web site like Celebrity.
When you end the session the cookies will be deleted. I use Safari
primarily, which does not have that option but I accomplish the same thing
by using Private Browsing. Firefox also has Private Browsing so you could
use that also. I prefer Private Browsing because not only does it not save
the cookies, it does not cache the pages when you have it on.

I have had Firefox set to only allow session cookies, but there are some
cookies that I want to keep and there are some sites that absolutely
will not open without accepting cookies. Those sites won't even let me
set them up on an individual site basis, so session cookies become a
PITA for me as does the feature that will ask you whether or not to
accept a cookie. That's just too intrusive for my personal comfort.

I do use private browsing when I remember and now I'm using it for
Celebrity as well as other travel sites. Just this morning I got a
email from an online TA offering a great price on a cruise. I kept the
email and after speaking to DH went back to the same page, it was gone.
Maybe 10 minutes had elapsed.

BTW, I'm an old Netscape user who went to Mozilla Suite then to Firefox
so I'm pretty savvy on how it works.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas