Hurricane Season 2004--please read

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

Default Hurricane Season 2004--please read

Sorry for the cross-post, but this is not only important for travelers, it's
also on-topic.

For people visiting the Caribbean this summer (my favorite time to go), talk
to your travel agent about insurance policies. The National Oceanographic
and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is predicting a busy hurricane season
this year.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._hurricanes_dc

Hurricane season is June 1 through November 30, with most gales forming
mid-July through November. While this is no reason not to go or to cancel
existing plans, a prudent option would be to hedge your plans with
insurance. There are several different policies available and all are a lot
cheaper than having to lose your $$ or your vacation.

Take it from someone who has been there--we went to Anguilla in September
1998 and were there only 2 days before being chased out by Hurricane
Georges. The local businesses were happy to refund the money for the unused
portion of our vacation, but the airlines were a harder sell for refunding
our unusable return tickets. Our one-way tickets back home cost $800 each
for same day departure and we were lucky to get them!

So talk to your travel agent now about trip interruption and trip
cancellation insurance. You'll be glad you did.

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Sam

-SPAM-

I have been hearing bloated hurricain reports for the 20 years I have been
traveling to the Carribean. Has anyone EVER heard of a GOOD report?

k.net...

Old May 19th, 2004, 01:37 AM
fishman

"Sam" wrote in message
-SPAM-

I have been hearing bloated hurricain reports for the 20 years I have been
traveling to the Carribean. Has anyone EVER heard of a GOOD report?

It only takes one storm, causing wind and rain and great big waves, to
happen on YOUR cruise week on YOUR itinerary to make you change your
attitude.
Chris

Old May 19th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Sam

"fishman" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message
-SPAM-

I have been hearing bloated hurricain reports for the 20 years I have

been
traveling to the Carribean. Has anyone EVER heard of a GOOD report?

It only takes one storm, causing wind and rain and great big waves, to
happen on YOUR cruise week on YOUR itinerary to make you change your
attitude.
Chris

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh, sorry. I have spent an entire two weeks in
Jamaica with not one day of sun(position of planets lined up causing high
waves) and been there when there was a hurricane looming a short distance
away while the entire island boarded up everything in sight. The reports of
predicted storms in the preseason always catches my attention so I seem to
get on the defensive when every report is overblown. I guess better to be
safe then sorry but I have learned to ignore them all and take my chances.

Respect.
Sam

Old May 19th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Cruising Chrissy

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:34:05 GMT, "Sam" wrote:

I have been hearing bloated hurricain reports for the 20 years I have been
traveling to the Carribean.

Has anyone EVER heard of a GOOD report?

I got an "A" for Breasts 101 from the High School football team.

Oh, yeah, sure, look down your monitor to catch a peek.

Pervert.
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"fishman" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message
-SPAM-

I have been hearing bloated hurricain reports for the 20 years I have

been
traveling to the Carribean. Has anyone EVER heard of a GOOD report?

It only takes one storm, causing wind and rain and great big waves, to
happen on YOUR cruise week on YOUR itinerary to make you change your
attitude.
Chris

Wind, rain, and great big waves. What an understatement!

Old May 19th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Salty

Cruising Chrissy wrote in message . ..

On Tue, 18 May 2004 23:34:05 GMT, "Sam" wrote:
I have been hearing bloated hurricain reports for the 20 years I have been
traveling to the Carribean.
Has anyone EVER heard of a GOOD report?

I got an "A" for Breasts 101 from the High School football team.
Oh, yeah, sure, look down your monitor to catch a peek.

You say, "Look down your monitor to catch a peek." Let me clarify
here. You're saying look ** down ** ?? You're sagging that damn
much ??!!

Yikes !! I think I'll pass on your sagging Breast 101. Thanks
anyway.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Salty

"Sam" wrote in message news:Hrzqc.77183$xw3.4265808@attbi_s04...

"fishman" wrote in message
It only takes one storm, causing wind and rain and great big waves, to
happen on YOUR cruise week on YOUR itinerary to make you change your
attitude.

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh, sorry. I have spent an entire two weeks in
Jamaica with not one day of sun(position of planets lined up causing high
waves) and been there when there was a hurricane looming a short distance
away while the entire island boarded up everything in sight. The reports of
predicted storms in the preseason always catches my attention so I seem to
get on the defensive when every report is overblown. I guess better to be
safe then sorry but I have learned to ignore them all and take my chances.
Respect.
Sam

I have to laugh at this discussion because my family has had a summer
home on the beach of Ocean Isle NC that got washed out to sea from a
hurricane. I think that one was Iris but after a while, they all run
together. We've also had damage to our beach house on Top Sail Island
NC from hurricanes. And I'm fortunate that I was able to sail between
the two hurricanes that hit Baja Mexico last year while I was there on
a liveaboard. My goodness.... you complain about having a cloudy 2
weeks during vacation !! LOL
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Salty

"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in message nk.net...
snip

So talk to your travel agent now about trip interruption and trip
cancellation insurance. You'll be glad you did.

No they won't. They'll realize that you were spamming.
Old May 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM
fishman

"Salty" wrote in message
om...
"Sam" wrote in message

I have to laugh at this discussion because my family has had a summer
home on the beach of Ocean Isle NC that got washed out to sea from a
hurricane. I think that one was Iris but after a while, they all run
together. We've also had damage to our beach house on Top Sail Island
NC from hurricanes. And I'm fortunate that I was able to sail between
the two hurricanes that hit Baja Mexico last year while I was there on
a liveaboard. My goodness.... you complain about having a cloudy 2
weeks during vacation !! LOL

We rode out Andrew 20 miles inland - we might as well have been on a
sailboat in the bay. I take hurricanes very seriously, except for maybe
little category 1's - Irene was actually rather fun in comparison.

Chris