Hurricane Season 2004--please read

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Lee Bell

Default Hurricane Season 2004--please read

"fishman" wrote

We rode out Andrew 20 miles inland - we might as well have been on a
sailboat in the bay.

Not hardly. You're alive, aren't you?

I take hurricanes very seriously, except for maybe little category 1's -

Irene was actually rather fun in comparison.

Andrew taught a lot of us that Hurricanes aren't all "no big deal."

Old May 19th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Kurt Ullman

In article , "fishman"
wrote:

It only takes one storm, causing wind and rain and great big waves, to
happen on YOUR cruise week on YOUR itinerary to make you change your
attitude.
Chris

My first run to the Caribbean was in the belly of a C-130 (acutally if
you have ever been in a C-130 you would know that "bowels" is probably a
better word) delivering a disaster team to St. Criox after their big
hurricane. (BTW: I much prefer a cruise ship). I had worked tornadoes in the
past (being from the Midwest) but this was few orders of magnitude different.
You get a REAL good idea of why the ships work so hard to avoid these after
even one up-close experience like that.

--
"No"
Amy Carter when asked if she had a message for
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Keith

Specifically on cruises, remember that ship can go anywhere. They'll change
their itinerary and sail away (you hope!) from the storm. My first cruise
went within 100 miles of the eye of a hurricane. What a mess! Still had fun,
just not a lot of sun and missed one port.

Yea, every hurricane season forecast is bad... just always a roll of the
dice, especially with a 6 month hurricane season. I live on my boat on the
Gulf Coast... you BET I'm always watching the weather!

--

Keith
__
"fishman" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message
-SPAM-

I have been hearing bloated hurricain reports for the 20 years I have

been
traveling to the Carribean. Has anyone EVER heard of a GOOD report?

Old May 19th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Salty" wrote in message
m...
"Skip Elliott Bowman" wrote in message

nk.net...
snip

So talk to your travel agent now about trip interruption and trip
cancellation insurance. You'll be glad you did.

No they won't. They'll realize that you were spamming.

You are mistaken, Salty. This was a post about hurricanes and how to
mitigate potential losses thereby. I don't get anything from anybody for
mentioning this. Can't you tell from spam?

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:02 PM
0 O

They predicted a BAD SEASON in FLORIDA last year and we had none. ??

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Charlie Hammond

In article t,
"Skip Elliott Bowman" writes:

Hurricane season is June 1 through November 30, with most gales forming
mid-July through November. While this is no reason not to go or to cancel
existing plans, a prudent option would be to hedge your plans with
insurance.

[emphasis added]
THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT POLICIES AVAILABLE AND ALL ARE A LOT
CHEAPER THAN HAVING TO LOSE YOUR $$ OR YOUR VACATION.

I'm sorry to point out that this last is not correct.
Casualty insurance alwasy cost more than it pays out.
This is becasue it has to pay sales commissions and other business
expences in addition to what it pays out. Insurance companies make money.

Because of this, the general rule is NOT to insure any loss you can
afford to sustain. Well, if you can't afford the cost of your vacation,
then stay home.

Also keep in mind that you will probably NOT loose all of your vacation
money. Most resorts and airlines will (inspite of the original posters
statements) make a full or partial refund under most conditions --
certainly if a hurrican makes thier providing the contracted services
impossible.

My advice is to SAVE the money you would pay for trip insurance.
Every few years you'll have saved enough to treat yourself to a
better vacation -- maybe even a "free" one.

--
Charlie Hammond -- Hewlett-Packard Company -- Ft Lauderdale FL USA
-- remove "@not" when replying)

Old May 19th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Charlie Hammond" wrote in message
In article t,
"Skip Elliott Bowman" writes:

Hurricane season is June 1 through November 30, with most gales forming
mid-July through November. While this is no reason not to go or to

cancel
existing plans, a prudent option would be to hedge your plans with
insurance.

[emphasis added]
THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT POLICIES AVAILABLE AND ALL ARE A

LOT
CHEAPER THAN HAVING TO LOSE YOUR $$ OR YOUR VACATION.

I'm sorry to point out that this last is not correct.
Casualty insurance alwasy cost more than it pays out.
This is becasue it has to pay sales commissions and other business
expences in addition to what it pays out. Insurance companies make money.

Insurance companies are businesses and I don't begrudge them their
legitimate profits. We insure property, vehicles, even lives--why not a
vacation that could cost over $10,000?

Because of this, the general rule is NOT to insure any loss you can
afford to sustain. Well, if you can't afford the cost of your vacation,
then stay home.

With all due respect, I disagree. If I understand you correctly, should
people save for twice as much as their vacation should cost? I don't think
this is a reasonable proposition for the majority.

Also keep in mind that you will probably NOT loose all of your vacation
money. Most resorts and airlines will (inspite of the original posters
statements) make a full or partial refund under most conditions --
certainly if a hurrican makes thier providing the contracted services
impossible.

This is incorrect. Airlines are not responsible for cancellations due to
inclement weather, and hurricanes qualify as inclement weather. They may
refund your money but legally they aren't obligated to do so.

My advice is to SAVE the money you would pay for trip insurance.
Every few years you'll have saved enough to treat yourself to a
better vacation -- maybe even a "free" one.

We take far too much for granted, and vacations are supposed to be memorable
not traumatic. IMHO Insuring a vacation to the tropics, especially during
hurricane season, is prudent at the very least.

Old May 19th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"0 O" wrote in message
They predicted a BAD SEASON in FLORIDA last year and we had none. ??

Perhaps you'd prefer to ignore any mention of hurricanes in the future and
be caught by surprise, like back in the good old days, Bobbi? If you were
in Florida in 1992, truculence like this would have cost you everything.

Old May 19th, 2004, 06:59 PM
BRENTSTELL

Insurance for your trip.

Hurricane season is from June 1 thru December 1.

MOST Hurricanes are in September and October. There have been hurricanes in
April and mid December. ( RARE )

The No Named Storm was in March. it made most hurricanes look pretty weak.

What i am trying to say is you can run into bad weather at anytime, Anywhere.

If you or someone in your family has a medical problem it is prudent to take
insurance.

Like life insurance, it one bet you do not want to win.

Do you need it? Only you know.

Brent