Baggage damaged by airport security ^ what to do?

Old July 29th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Geoff Lowry

Default Baggage damaged by airport security ^ what to do?

I have been through that airport with no problems to my laptop, but there is
really little excuse for people loosing data from their computers. If you
don't back up important data, then I have no sympathy.

As for the "trashed" laptop, claim on your travel insurance.
As for your data, take the hard disk out and put it in another "working"
laptop. You should be able to recover your files. I have done this before
on a "broken" laptop.

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
(Monika) wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for an advice on what I can do to get a reimbursement for
is three days after my arrival in US.
The laptop was delivered in a grocery bag, wrapped merely in a couple
of cushioned envelopes on one side. When I unpacked it, it came out
that the laptop was completely trashed.

The monitor was broken, the side panel torn off, the CDROM panel
broken off, and several small pieces were broken off as well. When I
tried to start up the laptop, my suspicions were confirmed - the
laptop was not working and is now completely
useless.

The moral of the story may be not to go anywhere near Israel, at least
with items you want to see again, intact and functional at any rate.

Old July 31st, 2004, 01:27 PM
james_anatidae

"Geoff Lowry" wrote in message
As for the "trashed" laptop, claim on your travel insurance.
As for your data, take the hard disk out and put it in another "working"
laptop. You should be able to recover your files. I have done this

before
on a "broken" laptop.

Yeah, but I think the point is that this sort of attitude towards other
people's belongings by supposedly professional people is inexcusable. The
people who "inspected" and packed the laptop either thought they above
common curtsy or were idiots. Probably both.

--
"I'll find Fry's coffin, get his corpse and keep it under my mattress to
remind me that he's really dead. That'll prove I'm not insane!"

Goliath & Wildwing's Storage Room
http://anatidae.homestead.com/