NZ South Island Updated Itinerary--comments, please?

Old October 5th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Sarah

Default NZ South Island Updated Itinerary--comments, please?

All,

WIth all of your help, I've slightly changed & updated my itinerary for my
visit to the South Island. Any more comments (and ideas of things to see
along the way) are quite welcome. Thank you!

As for my interests, I love the mountains & scenery (watching lord of the
rings wasn't why I'm going to New Zealand, but it was probably what
finalized my going there rather than staying in Australia for that week),
hiking (up to several hours, but as this is a rather tight schedule, that
may not be the best idea), and seeing interesting/different things in towns
(but not especially museums).

Also, any ideas for good souveniers & gifts (that aren't too expensive) that
are "New Zealandish"? Preferably not too heavy since I'll need to pack
them, but I can always bring them in my carry-on.

And now, here's my current schedule:

Sun 16 Nov: Arrive Christchurch airport 11:40PM; overnight in Christchurch
(any recommendations for something relatively cheap near the airport with
ensuite facilities?)

Mon 17 Nov: Drive toward Te Anau. Stop in/around Lake Wapikitu. (Where
else should I stop? I just want to get to Te Anau at night, and I plan on
leaving Christchurch as early as 7AM, and I'd like to break up the trip &
see more of New Zealand.) Overnight in Te Anau (reservations already made
at a B&B).

Tues 18 Nov: Drive to Milford Sound. Hike along the way and along the
sound. Go to the underwater observatory. Any other suggestions (and any
really good hikes of an hour or two?) Do you suggest the boat rides in the
sound? Does one pick those up at the end of the road? Overnight in Te Anau
again.

Wed 19 Nov: Leave Te Anau early. Head toward Invercargill, and drive the
coast between there & Dunedin, including the Caitlins. (Any specific places
to stop?). Overnight in Dunedin. (Any good inexpensive ensuite places?)

Thurs 20 Nov: See the penguins, albatross & seals, and maybe walk around
Dunedin. Spend the day heading back to Christchurch, stopping along the way
(where?). Overnight in Christchurch.

Fri 21 Nov: Fly out at 6:20AM.

Thanks for all your help!

Sarah

Old October 5th, 2003, 05:27 AM
traveller

Just back from NZ so my observations are up to date... see below
Traveller

Sarah wrote in message
All,

And now, here's my current schedule:

Sun 16 Nov: Arrive Christchurch airport 11:40PM; overnight in

Christchurch
(any recommendations for something relatively cheap near the airport with
ensuite facilities?)

Mon 17 Nov: Drive toward Te Anau. Stop in/around Lake Wapikitu. (Where
else should I stop? I just want to get to Te Anau at night, and I plan on
leaving Christchurch as early as 7AM, and I'd like to break up the trip &
see more of New Zealand.) Overnight in Te Anau (reservations already made
at a B&B).

Allow a full day for the drive - roads are winding and average speeds will
not be high.

Tues 18 Nov: Drive to Milford Sound.

Check if road is open at TA - it was closed when we were there from the
Hollyfor d Roads turnoff ( 2 weeks a go) Hike along the way and along the
sound.

(Some nice walks along the way, whatever the weather! It was 1C and reaining
when we were there but was FANTASTIC!!. Stop off at Deer Flat - great mounds
next to the river - just image the hobbits coming around the corner! Get the
NZ Dept of Conservation map at the DOC office in TA - nice folks there)

Go to the underwater observatory. Any other suggestions (and any
really good hikes of an hour or two?) Do you suggest the boat rides in

the
sound? Does one pick those up at the end of the road? Overnight in Te

Anau
again.

Wed 19 Nov: Leave Te Anau early. Head toward Invercargill, and drive the
coast between there & Dunedin, including the Caitlins. (Any specific

places
to stop?). Overnight in Dunedin. (Any good inexpensive ensuite places?)

Stayed only a few hours in Dunedin - bekive the Caitlins are great though

Thurs 20 Nov: See the penguins, albatross & seals, and maybe walk around
Dunedin. Spend the day heading back to Christchurch, stopping along the

way

Blue and yellow-yeyed penguins are only at dusk, so that may factopr into
your driving plans for Omaru.

(where?). Overnight in Christchurch.

As an alternative, why not go from TA either up the west coast (you want
mountains - this is the place!!). Frankly the coast from Dunedin to
Christchurch is dull compared with what the other coast offers - plus the
opportunity to visit the glaciers and see the rugged west coast beaches..

Fri 21 Nov: Fly out at 6:20AM.

Thanks for all your help!

Sarah

Old October 5th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Geoff Rait

In , "Sarah" wrote:

Sun 16 Nov: Arrive Christchurch airport 11:40PM; overnight in Christchurch
(any recommendations for something relatively cheap near the airport with
ensuite facilities?)

Any of the nearby motels will be fine. There are accommodation listings at
http://www.jasons.co.nz .

Mon 17 Nov: Drive toward Te Anau. Stop in/around Lake Wapikitu. (Where
else should I stop? I just want to get to Te Anau at night, and I plan on
leaving Christchurch as early as 7AM, and I'd like to break up the trip &
see more of New Zealand.) Overnight in Te Anau (reservations already made
at a B&B).

I presume you're getting from the coast into inland Otago via SH 8 (Fairlie
and the Burke Pass). Rather than taking SH 1 from Christchurch south to the
8 turnoff at Timaru, consider taking the inland route, 73-77-79 via
Darfield, Mt Hutt and Geraldine, joining SH 8 at Fairlie. This is more
scenic than SH 1, which you'll be driving on the way back from Dunedin
anyway.

SH 8 through northern inland Otago takes you past the turnoff (just after
Lake Pukaki) to Mt Cook. A drive up the valley to the terminus of the Tasman
Glacier (which feeds the lake) and a short walk (c. 15 mins each way) up
onto the terminal moraine gives a spectacular view of the rock-covered
glacier, its iceberg-filled terminal lake, and the peaks of Mt Tasman and Mt
Cook (NZ's highest). You could also complete the drive up to the end of the
road at The Hermitage, where in addition to great views of Mt Cook and
surrounding peaks of the main divide you could pay the vastly inflated
prices for a cup of tea and a bite to eat while amusing yourself watching
the antics of the hordes of tourists. However, from the SH 8 turnoff to the
glacier/Hermitage is 55 km each way; given your schedule you should probably
consider this an alternative to the inland Canterbury route rather than
trying to do both. If the choice were mine, I'd go to the Tasman Glacier
rather than through inland Canterbury. The roads, though good by NZ
standards, are not British motorways or American freeways. Christchurch to
Te Anau is a pretty long day.

South towards Queenstown you have two choices: via Lake Dunstan, Cromwell
and the Kawarau Gorge (lowland route) or via Wanaka and the Crown Range. I'm
not sure which to recommend to you here; the gorge is pretty scenic, but the
Crown Range road through Cardrona is NZ's highest highway and takes you
through the heart of the mountains. Somebody else might have a preference.
In terms of time, there's probably not much difference either way.

Between Arrow Junction and Queenstown, Gibbston Valley Wines is worth a
stop. Excellent Pinot Gris (you were looking for souveneirs, right?).

Tues 18 Nov: Drive to Milford Sound. Hike along the way and along the
sound. Go to the underwater observatory. Any other suggestions (and any
really good hikes of an hour or two?)

Key Summit on the Routeburn Track (right-hand side of the Milford road a
little before the Hollyford Valley turnoff) or Lake Marian (a short way down
the Hollyford road). Under an hour of steep climbing will get you to Key
Summit, where the views are reportedly spectacular. Lake Marian, a glacial
cirque, is a little longer (3 or 4 hours return IIRC) but even if you don't
make it all they way the track up there is very nice indeed, passing through
some lovely native forest. You'll find more info. on these and other hikes
at the Department of Conservation office in Te Anau, or possibly at their
web site: http://www.doc.govt.nz .

Do you suggest the boat rides in the
sound? Does one pick those up at the end of the road? Overnight in Te Anau
again.

Yes, go on the boat tour that takes you out to the entrance of the sound and
back. The view from the road end is incomplete, whereas the boat tour takes
you right under the sheer cliffs and waterfalls that frame the sound. It
also stops at the observatory (which IIRC you need to get to by boat
anyway). Boat ride and observatory tickets can be bought at the wharf in
Milford. If you get there in the morning, beating the bus tours from
Queenstown, there won't be much of a queue. Check the departure times of the
boat tours before you go (the Jasons site or http://www.searchnz.co.nz
should get you there quickly enough).

A reasonably early start from Te Anau would give you time for the boat tour
and at least a good portion of the Lake Marian hike. On the way there or
back, stop at the Te Anau end of the Homer Tunnel and wait to be assailed by
Keas, the NZ mountain parrots. Keep your valuables about you, though, or
they'll have `em. They'll also try to eat anything rubber or metal on your
car.

Wed 19 Nov: Leave Te Anau early. Head toward Invercargill, and drive the
coast between there & Dunedin, including the Caitlins. (Any specific places
to stop?). Overnight in Dunedin. (Any good inexpensive ensuite places?)

Dunedin is a pleasant city. Stay somewhere near the city centre or on the
other side of the harbour near Portobello (on the way to the Albatross
colony). Your car, I presume, will be hired. I'd recommend you check now on
whether the rental company's insurance will be void on the Catlins road
("Southern Scenic Route" between Invercargill and Balclutha). In the past,
this route - which is partly unpaved - hasn't been covered by some
companies, meaning that if you fell off it, you'd be liable for the entire
cost of damage to the car. This might also be an issue with the Crown Range
road, which is now paved all the way but might still appear in the exclusion
clauses of some companies' rental contracts. Again, check now.

Thurs 20 Nov: See the penguins, albatross & seals, and maybe walk around
Dunedin. Spend the day heading back to Christchurch, stopping along the way
(where?). Overnight in Christchurch.

If the insurance thing turns out to be a problem and you don't want to take
the risk, consider another poster's suggestion: up the West Coast and back
to Christchurch across the Southern Alps. From Te Anau you'd head back to
Queenstown, to Wanaka (via the Crown Range is most direct) and north on SH 6
via Haast Pass to the coast, overnighting in Haast, Franz Josef, Whataroa
(where there's a nice motel and a hilarious local pub) or Hokitika. At Fox
and Franz Josef, a couple of steep glaciers come down almost to sea level,
and at Hokitika there's a kiwi house with a number of live birds running
around in the dark. The West Coast has lovely scenery and you'll find a
number of artisans selling local crafts and, in particular at Hokitika,
greenstone jewellery. Your route back to Christchurch would be via Arthurs
Pass (SH 73), a spectacular road and rail crossing of the Southern Alps
across which the climatic contrast between wet west and dry east is as sharp
as it is profound.

Fri 21 Nov: Fly out at 6:20AM.

Renting the car from the airport? Check whether you could return it early
that morning. I imagine you could, but it would be better to know in advance
if not.

Geoff

--
Actually, I do have spots.