Wallaby or kangaroo?

Old October 3rd, 2003, 11:49 AM
Geir Lilleheil

Default Wallaby or kangaroo?

After returning from our Australia-trip, a little question came up...:
How do you tell that THIS is a wallaby, and THAT is a kangaroo?

Thanks!

- Geir , Norway
Old October 3rd, 2003, 12:09 PM
Daniel Bowen

"Geir Lilleheil" wrote in message
om...
After returning from our Australia-trip, a little question came up...:
How do you tell that THIS is a wallaby, and THAT is a kangaroo?

Wallabies tend to be smaller, and.. uhh... a slightly different shape :-)

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen at custard dot net dot au

Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Peter Webb

There is no fundamental difference.

The 3 largest species of kangaroos/wallabies - the red, the eastern grey,
and the western grey - are called kangaroos; the other smaller ones are
called wallabies.

Old October 3rd, 2003, 02:15 PM
Stephen Oakes

There is no fundamental difference.

Are you sure? Generally kangaroos are larger, but the shape of the head is
the main giveaway, IMHO.

The 3 largest species of kangaroos/wallabies - the red, the eastern grey,
and the western grey - are called kangaroos; the other smaller ones are
called wallabies.

Possibly true. I've certainly seen some small grey kangaroos, but you can
still tell that they're kangaroos.

Wallabies tend to have stockier faces.
--
Stephen Oakes

Old October 3rd, 2003, 08:43 PM
Tony Bailey

"Geir Lilleheil" wrote in message
om...
After returning from our Australia-trip, a little question came up...:
How do you tell that THIS is a wallaby, and THAT is a kangaroo?

A very old joke says that one plays Union and the other plays League!

--
Tony Bailey
Mercury Travel Books

Old October 4th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Poss

Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of "Stephen Oakes"
:

There is no fundamental difference.

Are you sure? Generally kangaroos are larger, but the shape of the head is
the main giveaway, IMHO.

The 3 largest species of kangaroos/wallabies - the red, the eastern grey,
and the western grey - are called kangaroos; the other smaller ones are
called wallabies.

Possibly true. I've certainly seen some small grey kangaroos, but you can
still tell that they're kangaroos.

Wallabies tend to have stockier faces.

Then there are tree kangaroos, of course, which are much smaller and
look like wallabies. And not kangaroos at all.

Damn tricky those macropods!

Old October 4th, 2003, 01:32 PM
PaulO

Size!!

Big are Kangaroos, small are wallabies; unsure are wallaroos!!!!!

--
PaulO

Old October 5th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Ross

Wallabies and Kangaroos belong to a family known as "Macropodidae" that is,
"Large Foot".

Of this group of marsupials there are probably hundreds including Pademelon,
Antechinus, Wallaroo etc.

To tell the difference to a casual observer then the Kangaroos are generally
the larger (as someone pointed out) and Wallabies are smaller.

But as a general rule the habitat (where they live) determines what you may
or may not see.

Kangaroos, because of their size, like the more open areas. "Red" Kangaroos
like the open desert areas while the "greys" like the lightly wooded areas.

Unfortunately for the visitor, Wallaroos also like the lightly wooded areas
and are often seen in Savannah country along with the grey kangaroo. They
are difficult to tell apart bet their heads are slightly different.

Wallabies on the other hand like the dense areas. Because they are smaller
and often attacked by wild dogs (dingoes) they like areas that afford close
cover. Rocks and bush for example.

The number of species of wallabies is quite large and there are many
localised species e.g. the Mareeba Wallaby is found only in one creek area
outside Mareeba in North Queensland.

Just as a matter of interest, there is only one species of Kangaroo in the
state Tasmania and dozens of species of Wallabies.

Ross

Old October 5th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Horst Willingshofer

Peter Webb schrieb:

There is no fundamental difference.

The 3 largest species of kangaroos/wallabies - the red, the eastern grey,
and the western grey - are called kangaroos; the other smaller ones are
called wallabies.

Then the Kangaroo-Island-Kangaroo is a wallaby...???

Horst
--
P.S.: Sorry about my English, corrections would be appreciated. ;-)
Homepage: http://members.aon.at/willingshofer