Australia east-coast/Ayer's rock

Old October 6th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Jason

Default Australia east-coast/Ayer's rock

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 10:00:29 +0000, Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

I've never been to Australia before and feel pretty clueless here, but
my idea is that I fly in to Adelaide from Singapore, stay there for a
couple of days, take a bus up to the Ayer's rock area, stay there for a
a few days, take the bus back to Adelaide again, then continue up along
the east coast (Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns). I then
take a flight to New Zealand from Cairns.

That's not how I'd do it. It's been a few years since I took the bus from
Adelaide to Ayer's Rock, but it must be at least 15 hours. I wouldn't want
to turn straight back round again.

So I'd either get a flight from Alice to Cairns, which isn't that cheap
because there's not a lot of competition on that route. Or I'd get the bus
over to Cairns. This is a long trip, but at least you're not doubling back
on yourself. I suppose you could stop at Mt Isa if you really wanted to.

from Adelaide to the Ayer's rock area? And is Alice Springs a place
worth visiting, or is it better skipping and just going directly to
Ayer's rock? I understand there's a multitude of accomodation choices
close to the rock (also budget I hope).

Alice is OK, but there's not that much to see there and there's a lot of
drunks in the town. However, there are other things to see in the area. I
did a 5 day trip with Sahara Tours and we saw Ayer's Rock, the Olgas,
King's Canyon and the McDonnell ranges. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't
cheap but it was worth the money. Their website is www.saharatours.com.au
or you can look at my report and pictures at:
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/oz/alice2002.html

I'd recommend doing one of the organised camping trips. The first time I
just went on the Greyhound standard tour and it wasn't as good. It's 12
years ago but at the time the backpackers in Yulara was the most expensive
of the whole trip.

Jason

--
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for Aussie diving reports including
Cape Tribulation, Cairns, Airlie Beach, Exmouth and the HMAS Swan