Daylight flight between LHR and LAX

Old January 19th, 2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Keith Willshaw[_2_]

Default Daylight flight between LHR and LAX

"LVTravel" wrote in message

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message

"ariopp" wrote in message
Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

Not in June. In the northern latitudes the sun doesnt set
until after 10 PM local time and youll be there around noon
local time

Keith

HE'S NOT LEAVING IN JUNE, he is leaving February 8th.

OK I misread , he'll still be in northern latitudes and noon local
time. I have flown that route MANY times in summer and winter
and have never seen sunset.

Keith

PS No need to shout

Old January 19th, 2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Mxsmanic

Roland Perry writes:

I would presume that the OP is also not supposed to take a ride in a
car/taxi/bus etc on the Sabbath. If you add in the time taken for the
immigration/customs process, and realise that it's an awful long walk
from LAX airport to anywhere in the city, then much of a delay on the
later flight could start getting tricky.

I have also met orthodox Jews who aren't allowed to handle money on the
Sabbath, so unless the OP is staying with friends he will have needed to
check into a hotel by sunset as well.

Why not just change the date of the flight, if observing the Sabbath is so
important?
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Mxsmanic

Roland Perry writes:

Isn't that what faith is all about?

That depends on which faith you have in mind. Faith in a religion doesn't
necessarily imply faith in other practitioners of the religion. I've always
wondered what will happen if the rabbis are wrong, and the commandments are
not being correctly followed in consequence. Given the extremely convoluted
nature of the reasoning sometimes applied by rabbis, I'd be very surprised if
they got it all right in even a minority of instances.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"Mr. Travel" wrote in message
news
ariopp wrote:

Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

Unusual question but I think quite interesting....

Thanks in advance for all the help!

When is your return date?
How do you plan to avoid darkness on the return.
What about flight delays.

The return flight would only be an issue if it departed on Friday. Any
other day of the week is not an issue.

Most of my flying from Heathrow to the west coast has been on early flights
(largely because I lived near the airport and preferred to get my travelling
done early). There was on occasion when we caught the 1530 BA flight and
by the time we had completed the flight and got to a LAX airport hotel it
was dark. Other than that I cannot remember an occasion when it got dark
en route or soon after arrival.

I would caution about some of the calculations mentioned here based on great
circle routes. Whilst most of my flights have followed a similar routing
there was one occasion when the flight went overhead Vancouver (Canada) and
then all the way down the west coast instead of crossing the border
somewhere near Winnipeg and that will have had some effect on the routing
over Greenland etc. However, even on that occasion I do not remember
darkness (or sunset)

Old January 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
[email protected]

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:25:11 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

Whilst most of my flights have followed a similar routing
there was one occasion when the flight went overhead Vancouver (Canada) and
then all the way down the west coast instead of crossing the border
somewhere near Winnipeg

BA's 269 LHR to LAX takes that route about once every three months
regular as clockwork I would like to know why .
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 16:16:35 on
Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Mxsmanic remarked:
Isn't that what faith is all about?

That depends on which faith you have in mind. Faith in a religion doesn't
necessarily imply faith in other practitioners of the religion. I've always
wondered what will happen if the rabbis are wrong, and the commandments are
not being correctly followed in consequence. Given the extremely convoluted
nature of the reasoning sometimes applied by rabbis, I'd be very surprised if
they got it all right in even a minority of instances.

This is getting very off-topic, but surely no-one can be criticised for
following the instructions of their faith's official practitioners, in
fact isn't having faith in that situation what it's supposed to be all
about?
--
Roland Perry
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Mxsmanic

writes:

BA's 269 LHR to LAX takes that route about once every three months
regular as clockwork I would like to know why .

Jet streams, perhaps?
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Mxsmanic

Roland Perry writes:

This is getting very off-topic, but surely no-one can be criticised for
following the instructions of their faith's official practitioners, in
fact isn't having faith in that situation what it's supposed to be all
about?

Judaism doesn't have a formal clergy.
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
[email protected]

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:49:07 -0000, "Gerald Oliver Swift"
wrote:

"ariopp" wrote in message
Hi,
I am a practicing Orthodox Jew and wish to travel form LHR to LAX on
Friday 8 February 2008.

There is a BA flight round about 10am & a Virgin flight at 11.30am.
The flying time is just over 11 hours.

If I catch either of these flights I will arrive in LAX well before
the Sabbath commences in LAX. However, my Rabbi has said that I should
check on the route the flight takes as it may go far enough North to
actually encounter a time of darkness thus meaning that the Sabbath
has already "arrived".

Could you please advise if either of these flights do?

You can depart LHR on Friday anytime between 06.00 and 15.30 and still
arrive in LAX before Saturday.

WTF has darkness got to do with it? The Sabbath begins at 00.01am on
Saturday.

Gerry

Must be a Christian; showing the usual insensitivity to others' ideas
of how their version "god" runs the universe:

To an orthodox jew, Sabbath begins at *sunset*. Probably to observant
Moslems also as I understand things.

Used to be for Christians too since the "god" of the bible reckons
time by sunrise and sunset.

Not everyone's invisible friend uses the same clock as Gerry's.

Jim P.
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.transport.air
Hatunen

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:24:46 -0800, Mr Travel
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 23:45:47
on Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Mr. Travel remarked:

How do you plan to avoid darkness on the return.

Hence my question.
If it were a concern on the outbound, the oubound should have booked to
avoid the possibility. Due to early winter sunset times, and the chance
for delays, getting to your destination hotel before sunset, and
avoiding areas during the flight that were past sunset, was not assured.

As his rabbi pointed out, that's not the only problem. Flights
from LAX and SFO to London take a polar great circle route that
passes well north, usually over northern Greenland. Even in the
summer twilight is reached in the far north. In the winter it's
probably a certainty that any such flight, day or night, will at
some point enter night in the far north, triggering the start of
the Sabbath.