Any Phuket scams or rip offs to be aware of?

Old October 13th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Lord Wayne

Default Any Phuket scams or rip offs to be aware of?

Hello, I am planning a first time trip to Phuket in Nov. Is there any
blatant scams or rip offs that I should be aware of? I realize the
majority of the people are fine, but I have had some bad experiences
in Bali, especially with taxis and money exchangers.

Thanks for any responses.

Old October 14th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Sandy Cruden

"Lord Wayne" wrote in message
news
Hello, I am planning a first time trip to Phuket in Nov. Is there any
blatant scams or rip offs that I should be aware of? I realize the
majority of the people are fine, but I have had some bad experiences
in Bali, especially with taxis and money exchangers.

Thanks for any responses.

***************************************
Don't worry about the scams just beware of the
footpaths..................................

PHUKET: A 19-year-old Canadian tourist was electrocuted by a downed

power cable in Patong during Saturday's torrential rains.

Gary Yelizarov, of Richmond, was found on the sidewalk near the
Jintana Hotel. A broken electrical cable was nearby.

Firefighters used a piece of wood to move the cable away and retrieve
Mr Yelizov's body, but he was pronounced dead at Patong Hospital.

Hospital director Dr Taweesak Netwong, told the Gazette the hospital
was unable to supply any more information about Mr Yelizarov because
"it's delicate for tourism".

The rain - 79.8mm in the 24 hours between 7am on Saturday and 7am on
Sunday, according to Vichit Phuangsombat, Director of the Southern
Meteorological Center (West Coast) - caused flooding in many parts of
the island and a landslide on Patong Hill and along Phra Barami Rd.

Metha Mekarat, Chief of the Phuket Office of Disaster Prevention and
Mitigation (ODPM) told the Gazette his office believed the rain had
caused damage worth more than 10 million baht.

After a crisis meeting with Vice-Governor Winai Buapradit, emergency
services provided food and other aid to 50 families affected by
flooding and landslide on Phra Barami Rd, on the outskirts of Patong.

Leading businessman Chairat Sukbal, owner of the Safari Pub and Deputy
Mayor of Patong Municipality with responsibility for wastewater, told
the Gazette, "Patong has an anti-flood plan but it's not always
possible to resist the water."

Old October 14th, 2004, 03:44 PM
jimson

Lord Wayne wrote
but I have had some bad experiences
in Bali, especially with taxis and money exchangers.

Money changers probably yes (never use them myself), but I've never
had a problem with taxis. Just agree on a fare in advance and things
should be OK. Or was there some issue other than money?