chloroquine plus proguanil

Old November 24th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Default chloroquine plus proguanil

I'm going to Namibia and Botswana shortly and have been told to take a
chloroquine plus proguanil combination. I suffered a terrible reaction
from taking Lariam on a trip to Gambia twelve months ago. Should I take
chloroquine?

TIA
Toby Austin

Old November 25th, 2004, 04:00 PM
C. Josef

" wrote in message roups.com...

I'm rather ignorant on the subject. Is Malarone and alternative to
chloroquine plus proguanil (I know it is an alternative to Mefloquine)?
I'd much rather take Malarone if I can.

The three prophylactic drugs that are commonly recommended for
subsaharan Africa are either atovaquone-proguanil (Malarone),
doxycycline or mefloquine (Lariam). Chloroquine + proguanil is usually
considered as obsolete these days.
Old November 25th, 2004, 04:03 PM
C. Josef

" wrote in message roups.com...
Is it? Excuse my ignorance, but don't they both contain quinine?

They don't contain quinine itself, but both are 4-aminoquinolines.
This means both molecules are closely related to quinine.
Old November 25th, 2004, 04:05 PM
C. Josef

" wrote in message roups.com...
I don't doubt that
Chloroquine plus Proguanil is effective (where there is no resistance),
but whether I can safetly take it.

There are good reasons to worry about the effectiveness of this combination, too.
Old November 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On 25 Nov 2004 02:13:42 -0800, "
wrote:

I'm rather ignorant on the subject. Is Malarone and alternative to
chloroquine plus proguanil (I know it is an alternative to Mefloquine)?
I'd much rather take Malarone if I can.

Toby,

yes, Malarone is an efficient anti-malaria drug.

As I wrote, if the experts don't offer and don't mention
Malarone, ask them why. If they have a good reason, so be it.
Can't imagine one though.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
On 25 Nov 2004 02:13:42 -0800, "
wrote:

I'm rather ignorant on the subject. Is Malarone and alternative to
chloroquine plus proguanil (I know it is an alternative to Mefloquine)?
I'd much rather take Malarone if I can.

Toby,

yes, Malarone is an efficient anti-malaria drug.

As I wrote, if the experts don't offer and don't mention
Malarone, ask them why. If they have a good reason, so be it.
Can't imagine one though.

Hans-Georg

Hans Georg,
As I`ve mentioned we took the Paludrine Chloroquine regime for several
years and I never contracted malaria. My husband got it very badly in
Nigeria, in the Delta region, although the doctor said it was more the
complications than the malaria itself that made him so ill. He used to
go away from home for two weeks or more at a time with his work and
knew he had forgotten to take some tablets. He also got it in Kenya but
less seriously.
When working on a large dam in Kenya there were British, Germans,
Canadians and Yugoslavs, all of whom took different prophylactics. We
used to have heated discussions as to who was taking the right drugs!
The Swedes and the Germans were taking Fansidar, which as you know is
used in the treatment of malaria.
We haven`t been to Kenya or anywhere else in Africa for five years and I
know it wouldn`t be safe to rely on our previous combination, so we
would probably take Malarone. Malarone is a very expensive drug and
people in Britain at least would have to pay for it as it is not
available on the NHS. I wonder if that has anything to do with a
reluctance to offer it?
Pat
--
Pat Anderson