Thank You, TSA

Old February 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

Default Thank You, TSA

"DaveM" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:05:26 -0500, Shawn Hirn wrote:

In article ,
"Mr. Travel" wrote:

Robert Cohen wrote:

When it does good work, then I should comment on that too.

http://suncoastpinellas.tbo.com/cont...t-had-box-cutt
er-hidden-book/

Yes, great. Box cutters. How many years did we go without a boxcutter
incident when boxcutters were permitted aboard? There is no evidence
he planned to use it on the plane. The cabin door is locked. He ain't
getting control of the plane with boxcutters.

You have got to be kidding. Why in the world would the guy put himself
at risk of being arrested and go to the trouble of hollowing out a bug
to smuggle on a box cutter if he had no intention of using it on the
flight? If he didn't want to use it in flight, he could have packed the
box cutter in his checked luggage or simply purchased one at his
destination.

On the other hand he'd need an awfully co-operative victim to kill anyone
with that.

Think about what you just said. The guy next to you could suddenly reach
over and slice your throat wide open with one of those. You'd bleed out
before you could say WTF?

Old February 29th, 2008, 06:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message "Jim Davis"
wrote:

Think about what you just said. The guy next to you could suddenly reach
over and slice your throat wide open with one of those. You'd bleed out
before you could say WTF?

And?

The rest of the plane would take care of him very quickly, and he'd only
have a handful of victims.

He could achieve the same result at any mall, or in the airport (heck,
he might even take out some TSA guys just to make a point)

Compare that to the situation where the guy has a knife (why wouldn't
he, the TSA sure isn't going to stop him) but nobody else does. Your
throat is still slashed, but everyone else will be disarmed.

I also suspect that polishing up my knife might get the twitchy moron
sitting beside me on my last flight to sit still for more then 9
seconds.
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

In message "Jim Davis"
wrote:

Think about what you just said. The guy next to you could suddenly reach
over and slice your throat wide open with one of those. You'd bleed out
before you could say WTF?

And?

The rest of the plane would take care of him very quickly, and he'd only
have a handful of victims.

Sounds good. So why did the passengers on the 9/11/2001 flights that
flew into the Pentagon and the World Trade Center not do as you propose?
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 06:05:59 -0500 Shawn Hirn wrote:

:In article ,
: DevilsPGD wrote:

: In message "Jim Davis"
: wrote:

: Think about what you just said. The guy next to you could suddenly reach
: over and slice your throat wide open with one of those. You'd bleed out
: before you could say WTF?

: And?

: The rest of the plane would take care of him very quickly, and he'd only
: have a handful of victims.

:Sounds good. So why did the passengers on the 9/11/2001 flights that
:flew into the Pentagon and the World Trade Center not do as you propose?

Because non-moslem hijackers did not practice mass murder and wanted to get
out alive with whatever booty they gathered.

Now that the entire West knows how moslems act, and realizing that the moslem
hijackers will most likely attempt a mass murder, will not be afraid to risk
their lives to execute these criminals.

Just like flight 94.

Understood?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old February 29th, 2008, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "Jim Davis"
wrote:

Think about what you just said. The guy next to you could suddenly reach
over and slice your throat wide open with one of those. You'd bleed out
before you could say WTF?

And?

The rest of the plane would take care of him very quickly, and he'd only
have a handful of victims.

He could achieve the same result at any mall, or in the airport (heck,
he might even take out some TSA guys just to make a point)

True, but Dave's statement indicated that a box cutter would be basically
useless.
When you look at the school shootings, and others, It's only a matter of
time before someone goes crazy, and starts slashing passengers on a crowded
flight.

Old February 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message Shawn
Hirn wrote:

In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

In message "Jim Davis"
wrote:

Think about what you just said. The guy next to you could suddenly reach
over and slice your throat wide open with one of those. You'd bleed out
before you could say WTF?

And?

The rest of the plane would take care of him very quickly, and he'd only
have a handful of victims.

Sounds good. So why did the passengers on the 9/11/2001 flights that
flew into the Pentagon and the World Trade Center not do as you propose?

1) Failure to understand the risks.

2) They weren't armed, greatly reducing each person's personal odds of
success.
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message "Jim Davis"
wrote:

True, but Dave's statement indicated that a box cutter would be basically
useless.
When you look at the school shootings, and others, It's only a matter of
time before someone goes crazy, and starts slashing passengers on a crowded
flight.

And? -- If they don't do it on a flight, they'll do it somewhere else.

You want to solve hijackings? Give each and every passenger a taser,
and make any offensive use of that taser against someone who is not
posing a threat a death penalty offense.

Hijackers would go down each and every time, those that have self
control issues would be isolated and removed from society, and the rest
of us could get on the plane without getting felt up.

Life would be good.
Old February 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "Jim Davis"
wrote:

True, but Dave's statement indicated that a box cutter would be basically
useless.
When you look at the school shootings, and others, It's only a matter of
time before someone goes crazy, and starts slashing passengers on a
crowded
flight.

And? -- If they don't do it on a flight, they'll do it somewhere else.

You want to solve hijackings? Give each and every passenger a taser,
and make any offensive use of that taser against someone who is not
posing a threat a death penalty offense.

Hijackers would go down each and every time, those that have self
control issues would be isolated and removed from society, and the rest
of us could get on the plane without getting felt up.

Life would be good.

I can picture a WN flight. 100 inbreds with tasers running up & down the
aisle. Hey Bubba! Watch this!

Old February 29th, 2008, 06:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message "Jim Davis"
wrote:

I can picture a WN flight. 100 inbreds with tasers running up & down the
aisle. Hey Bubba! Watch this!

Yes, and each one getting lined up and shot shortly after the flight.
I'd call that a feature, not a bug.
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DaveM

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:14:22 -0600, "Jim Davis"
wrote:

.. .

"Mr. Travel" wrote:

[...]

On the assumption that the blade was fully open in the box cutter that was
pictured, it would be a real freak event to cut anything significant with
one slash. By significant, I mean internal jugular or carotid - a slash
might well cut the external jugular, but anyone with rudimentary first aid
training should be able to control the bleeding from that.

Head to head, I'd feel I had a weapon advantage over him with a glass of Gin
and Tonic, although that feeling might be inversely related to the volume of
G&T remaining.

DaveM