your worst airline experience? (with a poll)

Old March 20th, 2008, 06:05 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean,rec.travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Andy P. Jung[_2_]

Default your worst airline experience? (with a poll)

"Anonymouse" wrote in message
. ..

so far NWA is winning (loosing) hands down... the worst ANY other airline
has done to me in 48 years of flying is delay 1 bag of 2 a day going into
Paris.

http://tinyurl.com/33wu83

--
Andy P. Jung
Metairie, Louisiana U.S.A.

To reply via e-mail, please visit my web site.

Old March 20th, 2008, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air
RAK

"Shawn Hirn" wrote in message
In article ,
"tim \(not at home\)" wrote:

"PeterL" wrote in message

Not really interested in visiting your site.

Just one time lost luggage is your worse? Man you've been lucky.
Airlines have limited liabilities for lost luggage. So you are out of
luck if you expect NWA or any other airline to give you a full refund.

I actually think that anyone who has a really bad story to tell just got
really really unlucky on the day. ISTM that it's about as likely as
being
held up in knife attack. OK it's not nice, but it's very rare.

In my 3-400 flights over 25 years my record is:

One bag not delivered to carousel, delivered to home 2 days late.
1 extremely long wait for luggage to be announced at carousel (circa an
hour)
2 occasions when a flight was delayed by more than 2 hours, one just over
and the other was all day.
One 'on the day' cancellation - I was only going to stay with a friend so
cancelled both legs and got a refund (though only just).

Can't complain really

Yeh. In terms of lost luggage. I have no complaints. In 37 years of
flying 2-3 times per year, I have never had any lost luggage. I hope I
didn't just jinx it for the flight I am taking next month! I have had
numerous flight delays and a flight that had to return to the
originating airport once due to a minor mechanical problem, but never
any lost luggage.

Similar experience in between 500 & 1000 flights, much of that in SE Asia,
Europe and Oz/NZ.
One bad delay (24hours), many short ones and a few missed connections.
Luggage delivered next day a couple of times after missing a connection.
The usual storms and turbulence, a couple of times with lots of screaming
passengers, a bit like an ultra roller coaster.
One very heavy landing that apparently damaged an engine on a brand new
Airbus (good old Garuda).
A few times where someone else had the same seat reservation as me (always
on Indonesian carriers I think). A couple of times the other passenger was
agressively insistent on keeping the seat; I kept quiet and was upgraded

And 2 really odd incidents, both on BA and within about a month of each
other in the mid 90s:
- A very drunk passenger next to me on a Nairobi-London flight fell asleep
after spilling vodka on his shirt. He was smoking and his cigarette fell on
the shirt. I woke to the smell of burning which turned out to be his shirt
in flames, woke him too, and put the little fire out for him.The crew
awarded me a bottle of champagne when I was getting off.
- A passenger on the row behind me committed suicide while landing in
Geneva. He stabbed himself in the heart with a pocket knofe, in the days it
was legal to take them on board. He was a doctor apparently going through
mental breakdown and returning home, but sadly not being escorted.

I stopped flying BA after that, it was getting too surreal.

Old March 21st, 2008, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.air
KGB

SNIP
I stopped flying BA after that, it was getting too surreal.

Hi

They haven't changed.

I flew BA in January - Supposed to be a night flight from Heathrow to
Buenos Aires but after spending an hour or so circling over the
English Channel with instrument problems, we returned to Heathrow.

However, as we approached Heathrow at 1am, the pilot made the usual
"Cabin Crew prepare for landing" announcement and two things more or
less simultaneously happened.

A women sitting near me (in business class) suddenly went berserk,
started screaming and tried to kick the LCD screen off the back of
seat in front of her - discretely ignored by everybody, including the
cabin crew. I suspect it was either (justified) frustration at
returning to Heathrow, or the fact that the pilot had also just
announced that we were not to worry about all the blue flashing lights
and fire engines that would be chasing us down the runway as we landed
- purely routine. Luckily when she realized her tantrum was being
ignored, she stopped.

The second event was that a female cabin crew member tried to open the
toilet door to check nobody was cowering inside and the entire door
promptly fell off, sending her staggering backwards across the cabin
clutching the door. Ads we came in to land, two male cabin crew were
attempting to lever the door back into place with a spoon and a table
knife, eventually giving up and sheepishly carrying the door to the
rear of the plane.

I eventually arrived in Buenos Aires 24 hours late after an
(uneventful) re-scheduled flight - via Madrid with Air Iberia!!!!

Regards

KGB

Old March 21st, 2008, 12:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

I try to maintain a good-humor about the vagaries of best laid plans.
The most humorous horror-story I like to tell is about a short hop
on Southwest from Jacksonville, FL, to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, which
was supposed to last all of 45 minutes, but due to a storm at the
FLL airport, took 5 and 1/2 hours instead.

We took off on time, but were place in a holding pattern over the
Bahamas for about two hours, then ran low on fuel, but instead of
landing in the Bahamas, we went to Orlando to refuel. After one
hour in Orlando, we finally made it to FLL, but the gates were full
of planes that had waited for the storm to pass, so we were stuck
on the tarmac for another hour.

Having missed lunch, I asked if we could order a delivery from
Pizza Hut, but was told no. Lesson learned: "Even if your flight
is only 45 minutes, do not plan on a three-hour drive anywhere
else after you land."