First Cruise/Couple of ?s

Old September 30th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Monica

Default First Cruise/Couple of ?s

Hi, we're considering our first cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary
To cut down on extra travel time/expense, we'll be leaving out of Galveston,
TX. The Western Caribbean (Belize, Majahual, Georgetown, Grand Cayman,
Cayman Islands, Cozumel) is basically the only route available from this
port. An on-line "cruise wizard" says that Princess is the cruise line for
us. We don't drink, party, gamble (I guess we're boring g) and would
rather not have to dress formal for dinner but like very nice and
surroundings and a relaxing atmosphere. We'd like to have a room with a
balcony. Are all balcony rooms (no suites) created equal?
I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and am in of heat and tend to get weak if I
do get too hot. I could deal with temps up to the mid 80's. Could we
expect these conditions in January or will it be hotter? Are the
thermostats individually controlled per room? And lastly, will a travel
agent be able to get us the best deal or will I find that on the Internet?
From what research I've done so far, the Internet seems to have the better
price BUT, at this point I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples g

Here is a list of sites,a friend sent me, for research. If you have any
other that might be useful, I'd appreciate it
Thanks,
Monica

http://www.cruisemates.com/MBindex/
http://cruiseclues.com/message_boards.htm
http://home.g-net.net/~cbrock/
http://www.cruisediva.com/

Old October 1st, 2004, 12:18 AM
Tom & Linda

"Monica" wrote in message
[...]

From what research I've done so far, the Internet seems to have the better
price BUT, at this point I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples

The lower areas of the Caribbean (places like Cayman, Cozumel, and further
south) can easily be in the mid to high 90's even in January during the
middle of the day. While you may find times when it's in the 80's, you're
getting pretty close to equitorial weather down south of Cuba. It's 12
hours of sun and 12 hours of dark all year round. Don't count on cooler
weather. You may find it, but it's not guaranteed. I visit Puerto Rico on
business frequently and it can easily get in the 90's in January.

A good friend of ours has MS and I'm not sure I'd recommend that area for
him. The heat bothers him as well.

--Tom

Old October 1st, 2004, 12:29 AM
sheree

as long as you know your own limits and don't allow yourself to get
overheated you can manage. you can lower the temp in your cabin, stay in
the shade etc.

i prefer a TA (even one from the net!) vs strictly internet based
businesses. I like having a human I can get a hold of

--
Sheree

"Monica" wrote in message
[...]

From what research I've done so far, the Internet seems to have the better

Old October 1st, 2004, 01:02 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Monica wrote:

Hi, we're considering our first cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary

I warn you this is dangerous(grin). We started cruising for our 25th
and now married 38 yrs, are about to go on our 14th cruise.

Are the
thermostats individually controlled per room?

Yes, you control your thermostat yourself. When you are in port, it is
sometimes very hard to cool your cabin, if it is really hot outside.
Just be sure to keep the drapes closed to keep the heat out.

And lastly, will a travel
agent be able to get us the best deal or will I find that on the Internet?
From what research I've done so far, the Internet seems to have the better
price BUT, at this point I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples g

I think you are better off with a travel agent that deals only in
cruises. You also have to make sure that all the quotes you get
include any port charges, taxes etc. Some of the online sites give you
a price and don't show the extra fees. I also think it is very
important to get cruise insurance for your cruise.

Here is a list of sites,a friend sent me, for research. If you have any
other that might be useful, I'd appreciate it

www.cruisecritic.com is also very good.

sue

Old October 1st, 2004, 11:20 PM
Thomas Smith

Answered in-line

"Monica" wrote in message
Hi, we're considering our first cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary

Congratulations!

To cut down on extra travel time/expense, we'll be leaving out of

Galveston,
TX. The Western Caribbean (Belize, Majahual, Georgetown, Grand Cayman,
Cayman Islands, Cozumel) is basically the only route available from this
port. An on-line "cruise wizard" says that Princess is the cruise line

for
us. We don't drink, party, gamble (I guess we're boring g) and would
rather not have to dress formal for dinner but like very nice and
surroundings and a relaxing atmosphere.

It sounds like Princess would be a good choice based on what you describe.

We'd like to have a room with a
balcony. Are all balcony rooms (no suites) created equal?

Not exactly. cabins towards the center of the ship, and lower, are more
stable. Cabins closer to the top of the ship tend to be a little more
convienent, and therefore are more desired (and expensive.) Also, some
cabins may have larger balconies depending on the location of the cabin, but
this tends to be minor. Otherwise, most cabins will be similar to each
other.

I have MS (Multiple Sclerosis) and am in of heat and tend to get weak if I
do get too hot. I could deal with temps up to the mid 80's. Could we
expect these conditions in January or will it be hotter?

You may run into upper 80s or lower 90s, but not much hotter, unless you go
inland. The ocean acts as a moderating factor and helps cool things down
some. That said, you may want to look at shore tours that use busses in the
afternoon, or even consider returning to the ship for a nap.

Are the
thermostats individually controlled per room?

While there may not be a dial where you set the temprature, you can control
the air flow into your room. I've found that cruise air conditioning can be
very efficent (my travel alarm clock has a thermometer, ant it consistantly
reads 68 degrees with the A/C on half power).

And lastly, will a travel
agent be able to get us the best deal or will I find that on the Internet?
From what research I've done so far, the Internet seems to have the better
price BUT, at this point I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples

A good travel agent should be able to get you the same price as what you can
find on the internet. Also, a travel agent may be able to do extra stuff
for you such as arranging an anniversery gift, or helping you if there are
any problems.

Here is a list of sites,a friend sent me, for research. If you have any
other that might be useful, I'd appreciate it
Thanks,
Monica

http://www.cruisemates.com/MBindex/
http://cruiseclues.com/message_boards.htm
http://home.g-net.net/~cbrock/
http://www.cruisediva.com/

Other good sites are;
www.cruising.org
www.cruisecritic.com
www.seacruisereviews.com

Hope this helps.

Tom Smith

Old October 2nd, 2004, 05:56 PM
Thomas Smith

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
et...

The lower areas of the Caribbean (places like Cayman, Cozumel, and further
south) can easily be in the mid to high 90's even in January during the
middle of the day. While you may find times when it's in the 80's, you're
getting pretty close to equitorial weather down south of Cuba. It's 12
hours of sun and 12 hours of dark all year round. Don't count on cooler
weather. You may find it, but it's not guaranteed. I visit Puerto Rico

on
business frequently and it can easily get in the 90's in January.

A good friend of ours has MS and I'm not sure I'd recommend that area for
him. The heat bothers him as well.

--Tom

Normal high in San Juan, PR in January is 83.2. Since 2001, the temperature
in San Juan has never been above 89 during the month of January. Cozumel's
average high for the month of January is 84. Both are considered tropical
climates, where you are more likely to see seasonal variations in
precipitation rather than temperature.