ROAD TRIP $$$

Old March 23rd, 2004, 03:59 PM

Default ROAD TRIP $$$

We'll be taking a 3+ week road trip this spring.

In planning, my thoughts turn to $$$.
We'll use a credit card for major purchases ( motel, gas )

Is there any reason to carry travelers checks any more ?

How do you "stash your cash" to protect from theft ?

Actually, since ATM's are "everywhere", is there
even a reason to carry large amounts of cash ?

ideas ??
rj
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Keith Willshaw

"RJ" wrote in message

We'll be taking a 3+ week road trip this spring.

In planning, my thoughts turn to $$$.
We'll use a credit card for major purchases ( motel, gas )

Is there any reason to carry travelers checks any more ?

How do you "stash your cash" to protect from theft ?

Actually, since ATM's are "everywhere", is there
even a reason to carry large amounts of cash ?

ideas ??

The only problem with relying on a single source
of funds, be it ATM cards, credit cards or anything
else is the problems that arise if its lost,stolen or swallowed
by a machine.

This was brought home to me several years ago when
I had my wallet with my ATM card, credit card, charge card and
cash stolen. Fortunately the charge card was from Amex and they
were able to replace it immediately and advance me some
cash otherwise I'd have been up the proverbial creek without
a paddle.

Since then I always stash cash, credit card and ATM card separately.

A money belt works well for the cash IMHO

Keith

Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:48:49 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

The only problem with relying on a single source
of funds, be it ATM cards, credit cards or anything
else is the problems that arise if its lost,stolen or swallowed
by a machine.

This was brought home to me several years ago when
I had my wallet with my ATM card, credit card, charge card and
cash stolen. Fortunately the charge card was from Amex and they
were able to replace it immediately and advance me some
cash otherwise I'd have been up the proverbial creek without
a paddle.

Since then I always stash cash, credit card and ATM card separately.

Yep. And it's a good idea to have a couple of different credit
cards and ATM cards and not carry them together.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
Tom J

"RJ" wrote in message

We'll be taking a 3+ week road trip this spring.

In planning, my thoughts turn to $$$.
We'll use a credit card for major purchases ( motel, gas )

Is there any reason to carry travelers checks any more ?

NO. Many places don't accept them anymore.

How do you "stash your cash" to protect from theft ?

Any place you can think of to stash cash, the robbers already know about, so
don't carry much on you and put what you leave behind in the hotel/motel safe.

Actually, since ATM's are "everywhere", is there
even a reason to carry large amounts of cash ?

What still works for us in most areas is, instead of using the ATM, we go
inside to a teller and make a withdrawal with our bank debit card & avoid the
ATM charges.

ideas ??

If you must take cash, put a little under the front floor mat, a little under
the back floor mat, a little under the spare tire, a little tied in a bag up
under the dash --- you get the idea. Just don't have it in your luggage
because that helps maids make the payments on their Lincolns!!

Tom J

Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:51 PM

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:59:30 -0500, "RJ"
wrote:

We'll be taking a 3+ week road trip this spring.

Make a list of all your credit cards numbers and the 800 phone numbers
for each. Then stash that in an accessible location where you cna find
it but onone else will. If the cards are lost or stolen you can
protect yourself more quickly that way.

I've know some people who request a second copy of their credit card
and leave the cards at home with freinds. If you cards are lost - such
as during an auto acciodent of falling off a boat, and you are certain
they will not be abused, you can carry on by having the copies sent
via overnight courier. .

Actually, since ATM's are "everywhere", is there
even a reason to carry large amounts of cash ?

Depends on your definition of "large amounts."

ATMs typically charge $1.5 per transaction and your home bank,
depending on the state you live in, may do the same. In other words,
that's 3% of every $100. But it's only 1.5% of every $200 and so on.
So it makes sense to plan your cash needs for the day and take what
you expect to need during that time.

To complicate things, some free-standing ATMs in small shops in
Manhattan, as one example, may charge $2 per transaction and then will
not allow you to withdraw more than $100 or $200 in each transaction -
thus socking it to you on the rate.

Have a good trip.

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:53 PM
DS

You could look into one of the new types of cards available. Some are
prepaid visa cards (I found this on a quick search
http://www.creditlovers.com/promo/pr...visa-card.html)

or

there are travelers cheques /credit cards --- I think they work like a
debit/credit card and you have to have a pin to access them. Then, if they
are lost or stolen, they are useless to the new owner.

Hope that helps

Old March 23rd, 2004, 11:08 PM
fishman

s.com...
wrote:

We'll be taking a 3+ week road trip this spring.

Make a list of all your credit cards numbers and the 800 phone numbers
for each. Then stash that in an accessible location where you cna find
it but onone else will. If the cards are lost or stolen you can
protect yourself more quickly that way.

Keep ALL your credit card receipts and go through your bill carefully when
you return home.

Chris

Old March 24th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Icono Clast

wrote:
To complicate things, some free-standing ATMs in small shops in
Manhattan, as one example, may charge $2 per transaction and then will
not allow you to withdraw more than $100 or $200 in each transaction -
thus socking it to you on the rate.

Oh, it's worse than that:
I tried one of those machines that politely informed me of its
exhorbitant charge and asked if I would like to complete the
transaction. I said "No" and got my card back.

Did the same at another.

When the bank statement arrived I learned that each had charged me
even though I had not used its service. I complained to the bank and
they came up with some sort of justifying song and dance that I've
since forgot but I'll never again stick my debit card in a non-bank
automated teller.

To the original point: I usually fill my pocket with $300 and then get
some more when it's gone. I'm going to Reno tomorrow. Will probably
have more than a thousand dollars cash with me on departure and expect
to come home, Monday, with more than that after expenses that will, of
course, be charged.

But should I gamble? Bad luck - going to Reno for a dance convention.
My back went out at 13:00 Monday. I can hardly walk with a cane much
less dance. The pills I'm popping are making me sick. I'm furious!
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net