Malaria and Mosquito Repellent

Old February 7th, 2008, 12:34 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
Markku Grönroos

Default Malaria and Mosquito Repellent

"Alan S" kirjoitti
om...
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:49:28 GMT, "KGB"

To be honest, the thought of pitching my tent in front of
Angkor, or the Taj Mahal, or Petra, or Giza, or Abu Simbel,
or Chichen Itza, or Teotihuacan (all on this trip) does not
turn me on at all. Even if the local authorities allowed it
I doubt it would be very wise, let alone comfortable.

I may bring a tent along only if I drive in Europe by my own car. To live
comfortably in a tent one needs an air mattress. Mine is 20*160*200cm in
dimension. Because lots of air is needed to stuff the thing, a decent pump
is also necessary. Preferably engined by car's electric system so that we
outdoor heros don't have to sweat unecessarily. The mattress isn't light but
weighs several kilos and it doesn't fold into small space. Minimum camping
gear weighs around 10 kilos. Too much to carry it on a rucksack. Naturally
those cellular plastic mattresses are much lighter but they are no good.

In countries like Cambodia, Egypt, Jordan, India and Mexico accommodation is
so cheap that there is no point to tease oneself by carrying a tent. Those
who overnight in woods think differently.

Old February 7th, 2008, 01:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

In countries like Cambodia, Egypt, Jordan, India and Mexico accommodation
is so cheap that there is no point to tease oneself by carrying a tent.
Those who overnight in woods think differently.

Hotels in India are not cheap.

They're very highly taxed and are no cheaper than in Europe.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 7th, 2008, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

In countries like Cambodia, Egypt, Jordan, India and Mexico accommodation
is so cheap that there is no point to tease oneself by carrying a tent.
Those who overnight in woods think differently.

Hotels in India are not cheap.

They're very highly taxed and are no cheaper than in Europe.

I have never visited the country myself. And I won't unless cows have been
removed from the streets to proper grazing lands. However, listings of "the
asia rooms" online booking engine doesn't support your ideas about equal
prices to European hotels (prices may still be heavily taxed). For instance
in Agra prices start from 25 euros for two people. Doesn't sound too
European to me. Moreover, those to whom tent accommodation is an option,
typically aren't too much sissies when it comes to spending a night in a
hotel. I guess a dive (not listed) with a water proof roof comes typically
by a price worth a few euros. I assume that Cambodia and Egypt are cheaper
still in this respect. For instance I typically paid 100 Egyptian pounds for
a room last summer. Someting like 13 euros. Cheapest room with aircon did
cost 40 pounds in Luxor.

Old February 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
grusl[_3_]

"William Black" wrote in message

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

In countries like Cambodia, Egypt, Jordan, India and Mexico accommodation
is so cheap that there is no point to tease oneself by carrying a tent.
Those who overnight in woods think differently.

Hotels in India are not cheap.

They're very highly taxed and are no cheaper than in Europe.

India is improving slowly. There are some new chains like Ginger offering
cheaper (but not especially cheap) as entrepreneurs realize that domestic
tourism is the future.

However, the trend is still generally depressingly upscale. Bangalore alone
has a Sheraton, a Marriott and, god forbid, a Ritz-Carlton under
construction.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old February 7th, 2008, 02:44 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
Gerald Oliver Swift

"William Black" wrote in message

India is improving slowly. There are some new chains like Ginger offering
cheaper (but not especially cheap) as entrepreneurs realize that domestic
tourism is the future.

However, the trend is still generally depressingly upscale. Bangalore
alone has a Sheraton, a Marriott and, god forbid, a Ritz-Carlton under
construction.

In Bangalore you have the Kamat chain of hotels where a Deluxe double room
only costs Rps 1,300 and a Deluxe suite Rps 2,000.
If that isn't value for money........

Gerry

Old February 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
grusl[_3_]

"Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote in message

In Bangalore you have the Kamat chain of hotels where a Deluxe double room
only costs Rps 1,300 and a Deluxe suite Rps 2,000.
If that isn't value for money........

Well, yes, not backpacker cheap but cheap enough, I think. Ginger's about
the same - and they're new hotels.

There's also the older Empire and Ramanshree groups.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old February 7th, 2008, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
John Kulp

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 03:02:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

(John Kulp) wrote:
-hh wrote:

In essence, there's enough evidence to suggest that it is also a
carcinogen in humans such that a controlled medical trial to prove the
link would be unethical...and in any country that signed the Helsinki
Accords...illegal.

That's complete nonsense. =A0There is no such proof and the military has
been using it for years with no such effect. =A0

Here's some "nonsense" for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_Helsinki

Plus the Belmont Report:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belmont_Report

Yes, it is, indeed, nonsense since it has nothing to do with whether
Deet is a human carcinogenic which long experience has shown it's not.
And you haven't produced one whit of evidence that it is either.

Or don't you consider them human?

Literally not an excuse. Apparently, you've not heard of this either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study

Ridiculous. Why don't you post a few good analysis of the Vikings
raping and pillaging Europe too while your at. The Scaninavians would
be amused.

What has that got to do with your screwball and unsupported claim that
it is a human carcinogen? =A0

Are cigarettes bad for you? Cause of cancers, etc?

That has a lot to do with Deet you cretin. So's charcoal. Have you
given up barbecuing?

Well, because of the above, the direct objective medical tests to 100%
prove the connection have never been done either. Its not because it
isn't, but because it is unethical to incur the risk on a volunteer.
See also:

http://ohsr.od.nih.gov/guidelines/nuremberg.html

You're a complete moron. The military has been using Deet for decades
and has all the evidence anyone needs to know that it is not
carcinogenic to humans. I guess you're so dumb you don't think that
using it on millions of soldiers constitutes proof of anything.

BTW, (and for humans) it is categorized as a Toxicity Category III
(low acute); note that reported side effects include 'slurred speech',
which is kind of hard for an insect, dog or pig to report. =A0FYI, I
still use DEET too, but do so with care and caution...and context.
For example, DEET doesn't do jack **** to stop Tzetze flies.

Which is low, acute and not chronic and appears almost exclusively in
children.

It still proves a chemical interaction with the human biology.
Bottom line is that your attempts to claim that the risk is zero is
untrue. We simply don't know the full extent of the risk profile, and
given the laws on human experimentation, it is unlikely to be an area
that the risk:benefit allows much more testing.

I didn't say the risk was zero you liar. I said that it is not
carcinogenic to humans, which it's not. There is always someone who
is allergic to anything and will get sick as a result. Including such
dangerous chemical compounds as milk you twit. You are so
monumentally stupid that you cannot even comprehend that Deet has been
used by millions for decades with no cancerous results from it by
endlessly repeating you idiotic human experimentation crap. They
don't need to experiment you idiot. They have decades of proof by
usage that it is perfectly safe.
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Alan S says...

To be honest, the thought of pitching my tent in front of
Angkor, or the Taj Mahal, or Petra, or Giza, or Abu Simbel,
or Chichen Itza, or Teotihuacan (all on this trip) does not
turn me on at all. Even if the local authorities allowed it
I doubt it would be very wise, let alone comfortable.

I also wonder if some local animal would crawl inside the tent...

Besides I usually travel with so much stuff and gear that carrying a
tent and sleeping bag is out of question.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.asia, rec.travel.latin-america, rec.travel.africa
-hh

John Kulp wrote:

[vitrol snipped]

Your response is noted and by initiating namecalling, you've forfeited
the validity of all of your arguments, so and anything else that you
might ever have to say can be safely disregarded.

As I said before, I still use DEET too, but I do so with care and
caution...and context.

Have a nice life, "John".

-hh
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.asia, rec.travel.latin-america, rec.travel.africa
it

On 7 Feb, 12:14, Alan S wrote:
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 08:49:28 GMT, "KGB"

(KGB) wrote:
SNIP
I'll be 61 mate, my tent days are behind me; three star at
least:-)

Hi

Absolute rubbish!!!!!! 8^)

My wife and I are both well over 60 and still camp in tents on a
regular basis - not so often now in cold and wet Great Britain
admittedly, but certainly on holiday.

I have a bad back (slipped disk) and actually get a far more
comfortable sleep on a Thermarest mattress in a tent than in our bed
at home.

Regards - (off to pack the tent for a forthcoming camping trip to the
USA Southwest desert States)

KGB

Whatever turns you on mate:-)

I camped from the time I joined the cubs until I left the
Senior Scouts, then on bivouacs with the RAAF as needed. And
on the occasional fishing trip. That was quite enough. I've
also done my share of caravanning and motorhome driving.

But when I'm wandering through nine countries in seven
weeks, including several that are a little less than
friendly to Westerners - I'm after a bed and four solid
walls. I'm not over-fussy, my main requirements are that the
bed (and linen) be clean, be longer and wider than I,
reasonably un-lumpy, and that I am the only living thing in
it or on it. I also prefer an aircon if the temperature and
humidity are uncomfortable. Beyond that I'm not fussed about
room service or minibars or TV.

To be honest, the thought of pitching my tent in front of
Angkor, or the Taj Mahal, or Petra, or Giza, or Abu Simbel,
or Chichen Itza, or Teotihuacan (all on this trip) does not
turn me on at all. Even if the local authorities allowed it
I doubt it would be very wise, alone comfortable.

Apart from that, it's one less item to lug around.

To each their own.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia

I have not been to Cambodia, but in the other places I didnt take
anything for malaria.
Generally we slept 'in' duvet covers, unless it was too warm.
In India we used to light coils.