How to pack light, some tips

Old August 20th, 2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default How to pack light, some tips

http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/packlight.html

Old August 20th, 2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Ian Burton

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/packlight.html

There are tips here that I couldn't follow in a million years, but to each
his own.

One paragraph that turned my stomach is below. I find no pleasure in
tearing up books. Next kommt the burning!

--
Ian Burton
(Please reply to the Newsgroup)

Travel Book Country Removals: Weight Saved
This time around, I bought the cheap $15 Let's Go Europe "On a Budget"
edition. Then I cut out the stuff I won't need. There is a certain pleasure
in chopping out Let's Go sections, perhaps because the writing is so awful.
Many fellow travellers agree: you only buy Let's Go because their data is
reasonably good, and the paper is lighter than Lonely Planet.

Old August 20th, 2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Rog'

wrote:
Travel Book Country Removals: Weight Saved...
Then I cut out the stuff I won't need. There is a
certain pleasure in chopping out Let's Go sections...

A better idea is to copy just the pages that one wants
to use. That way, you can mark up the pages, enlarge
them, and thow 'em away or pass 'em on, and still have
the book whole for next time. :-)

I also like to copy parts of maps when I'm only using
a section. The copy can thus be enlarged to make it
readable while driving. =R=

Old August 20th, 2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Iceman

On Aug 19, 10:10 pm, "Ian Burton" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/packlight.html

There are tips here that I couldn't follow in a million years, but to each
his own.

One paragraph that turned my stomach is below. I find no pleasure in
tearing up books. Next kommt the burning!

And the chapters on crappy places you'd never want to go to make
interesting reading when you're stuck waiting for a bus or train. I
always love to see what Lonely Planet has to say about places like
Blackpool or Benidorm or Pattaya.

Travel Book Country Removals: Weight Saved
This time around, I bought the cheap $15 Let's Go Europe "On a Budget"
edition. Then I cut out the stuff I won't need. There is a certain pleasure
in chopping out Let's Go sections, perhaps because the writing is so awful.
Many fellow travellers agree: you only buy Let's Go because their data is
reasonably good, and the paper is lighter than Lonely Planet.

You buy Let's Go if your budget is $20 a day, you want to eat
McDonalds and cafeteria food instead of real restaurants, stay in the
****tiest youth hostels or in college dormitories, and drink beer with
other Americans instead of actually seeing any sights.

Old August 20th, 2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:13:44 -0700, Iceman
wrote:

On Aug 19, 10:10 pm, "Ian Burton" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Actually, I agree on the logic of selecting only the bits
you need from the travel books and cutting the rest. When
you're visiting multiple countries that paper weight is no
fly weight.

The best books I used in the USA were the ones I picked up
on arrival from the AAA; but they were a lot of weight after
we left the car behind so we sent them home too.

I also packed up all the souvenirs and other stuff collected
along the way every month or two and sent it home. However,
that can be an exercise in itself, being ripped off by
foreign mail systems.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

I find no pleasure in tearing up books.

I feel the same way, but it's a lot easier to carry only the pages you
need. And guide books are kind of disposable items anyway, since the
info becomes dated.

A better idea is to copy just the pages that one wants

That's a good alternative, especially if you only need a few pages.

James

Old August 20th, 2007, 07:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
nightjar

wrote in message
ups.com...
I find no pleasure in tearing up books.

I feel the same way, but it's a lot easier to carry only the pages you
need. And guide books are kind of disposable items anyway, since the
info becomes dated.

That can make them even more interesting years later.

Colin Bignell

Old August 20th, 2007, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Mike O'Sullivan

Ian Burton wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/packlight.html

There are tips here that I couldn't follow in a million years, but to each
his own.

One paragraph that turned my stomach is below. I find no pleasure in
tearing up books. Next kommt the burning!

Don't see why, a book is only a manual storage unit. Nobody minds
throwing away magazines when they're finished with. No difference.
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/packlight.html

This guy carries a HUGE bottle of shampoo, vitamin pills and aspirin, but
doesn't carry Imodium or a mobile phone...

He carries a towel that weighs half a pound...

But he doesn't carry a change of trousers...

He carries an electric shaver and a dictionary, but no phrase book...

Very odd.

He also recommends you buying batteries when you need them, which does
rather seem to indicate that he doesn't get off the beaten track much...

--
William Black

Time for tea.