Evidence that the USA is becoming a police state

Old September 29th, 2007, 01:17 PM posted to sci.math,sci.bio.misc,sci.med,sci.econ,rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

Default Evidence that the USA is becoming a police state

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

sharx35 wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
s.com...

http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/PoliceState.html

Get some professional help for your paranoia.

Actually the it may be a real fear. One of my students was stopped and told that she was not allowed
to take photographs while on a public street.

So? What law was cited? Was she taking pics of an individual without their permission?

Old September 29th, 2007, 01:18 PM posted to sci.math,sci.bio.misc,sci.med,sci.econ,rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Davinchi" . com wrote in message
Jim Davis wrote:
On Sep 27, 10:40 am, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:
sharx35 wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
s.com...
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/PoliceState.html
Get some professional help for your paranoia.
Actually the it may be a real fear. One of my students was stopped and
told that she was not allowed to take photographs while on a public street.

Well? Don't leave us hanging. What were the circumstances, general
location, subject matter, etc?

I appreciate your curiosity, but the circumstances are not really important. I think the OP was
demonstrating that the State can can take pictures but citizens can't;
This example being a demonstration of tactics used in a "police state".

If they are not engaged in criminal activity or creating a public nuisance, I cannot imagine many
circumstances when a citizen should not be allowed to take pictures in a public place.

So, where did YOU get YOUR law degree?

We live in an age when anybody with an internet connection can be a publisher, and thus is part of the
free press; Under these circumstances, impeding the press could be a violation of the citizens
constitutionally protected rights.

Old September 29th, 2007, 01:19 PM posted to sci.math,sci.bio.misc,sci.med,sci.econ,rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

Alohacyberian wrote:

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

sharx35 wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
roups.com...

http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/PleeceState.html

Get some professional help for your paranoia.

Actually the it may be a real fear. One of my students was stopped and told that she was not allowed
to take photographs while on a public street.

Was she told that by a policeman? Was she lying in the middle of a busy public street? Was she just
plain lying?

Such an insignificant example is hardly evidence of a "police state" - a favorite Communist misnomer
exhumed from the '60s. Anyone who suggests, nay even hints, that the United States is a "police
state" is only illustrating complete lack of knowledge of the definition of the term. Nazi Germany
was a police state; Fascist Italy was a police state; Franco's Spain was a police state; every
Communist country in the world was a police state as are many who are totalitarian dictatorships. KM

She was told that by a local policeman and I have no reason to not believe her. It is a story told me
by the individual involved. You are getting it second hand but it is still fairly direct.

Such control is exactly evidence of a "police state" mentality.

She was probably blocking traffic--pedestrian and/or vehicular. Reason enough, in my opinion, to be told
to get one's ass in gear.

Old September 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM posted to sci.math,sci.bio.misc,sci.med,sci.econ,rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

Alohacyberian wrote:
[...]

Evidence of a "'police state' mentality" in an a single individual or a
handful on the lunatic fringe hardly makes the United States a "police
state". Anyone making such assertions is either woefully ignorant of the
definition of "police state", guilty of ill-founded hysteria or mentally
unbalanced. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

Old September 29th, 2007, 05:33 PM posted to sci.math,sci.bio.misc,sci.med,sci.econ,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sep 27, 6:43 pm, Joe wrote:
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/PoliceState.html

FEMA started building the concentration camps (with suspiciously large
gas tanks) about 20 years ago. They need to secure the police state
infrastructure now before the next base-wave "business cycle" (i.e.
engineered crash) is brought in. A lot of us made the bet that the
sheeple would eventually rise up and put a stop to it. It's definately
not working out optimally, but, you never know..

Old September 29th, 2007, 09:05 PM posted to sci.math,sci.bio.misc,sci.med,sci.econ,rec.travel.usa-canada
Randy Hudson

In article zorLi.33855$nO3.8690@edtnps90,
sharx35 wrote:

[ In article , Davinchi
. com wrote: ]

If they are not engaged in criminal activity or creating a public
nuisance, I cannot imagine many circumstances when a citizen should not
be allowed to take pictures in a public place.

So, where did YOU get YOUR law degree?

Isn't that part of the point? If you need a law degree to know when the
police are out of line, then the police are in control of everyone but the
lawyers.

--
Randy Hudson
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:19 PM posted to sci.math,sci.bio.misc,sci.med,sci.econ,rec.travel.usa-canada
-

On Sep 28, 3:57 pm, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:
Alohacyberian wrote:
"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
.. .

sharx35 wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Please understand that what you've said begs for more information
however. Your student's story is simply unbelievable solely on the
face of what you reported.

The fact is that at this very moment in America, tens of thousands of
people are taking tens of thousands of photos from public places, and
no police force is stopping them. I have done it thousands of times
myself, often in the presence of police nearby, and not once has any
of them ever had one word to say about it.

To use your logic, this is rather evidence of an open society. Either
the police officer your student encountered was a rogue or there
simply is more to the story; as another suggested, perhaps she was
blocking a busy sidewalk, or so on. But it's not believable juston the
basis of the minimal amont of info you presented.

Old September 29th, 2007, 09:45 PM posted to sci.math,sci.bio.misc,sci.med,sci.econ,rec.travel.usa-canada
Timothy Golden BandTechnology.com

sharx35 wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

What about the John Kerry event? Some guy was hypertased beyond
necessity. If that isn't a fear tactic then I don't know what is. They
sure did a nice job of keeping the next guy from speaking up. I've
only heard this second-hand but it's come up a couple of times this
way. Anyone got a YouTube link to this?

-Tim

Old September 29th, 2007, 09:51 PM posted to sci.math,sci.bio.misc,sci.med,sci.econ,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:45:54 -0700, "Timothy Golden
BandTechnology.com" wrote:

What about the John Kerry event? Some guy was hypertased beyond
necessity. If that isn't a fear tactic then I don't know what is. They
sure did a nice job of keeping the next guy from speaking up. I've
only heard this second-hand but it's come up a couple of times this
way. Anyone got a YouTube link to this?

The incident made all the major news programs and got YouTubed.
Why? Because it was unusual. If this were a usual sort of thing,
it wouldn't be news. And the police state wouldn't allow it to be
news or YouTube grist.

Apparently the guy wanted to disrupt things, but the incident
struck people not because some kampus kops got stupid with their
tasers, but because Kerry didn't respond in the way many felt he
should have.