Flushing or Brooklyn?

Old April 4th, 2004, 01:35 AM
ant

Default Flushing or Brooklyn?

Thanks for all the help with locating the JFK AirTrain. I have been happily
looking on the various websites. Now I have to plan a place to spend the
afternoon. The AirTrain will take to you either Jamaica, or Howard Beach.

From Jamaica, it seems a short trip to Flushing area, on E line.
From Howard Beach, it seems you take A line to what looks like Brooklyn.

Which would be more interesting, for shops/sights etc? And where would be
the best place to get off the train/subway thing?

My flight gets in to JFK around noon, and my flight out of the US leaves JFK
around 7pm, so I have the whole PM to play with.

ant

Old April 4th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Pan

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:35:58 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

Thanks for all the help with locating the JFK AirTrain. I have been happily
looking on the various websites. Now I have to plan a place to spend the
afternoon. The AirTrain will take to you either Jamaica, or Howard Beach.

From Jamaica, it seems a short trip to Flushing area, on E line.

You'd have to take a bus to get to Main St. and Kissena Blvd., which
is the center of the neighborhood, or you could take the E to 74 St.
and then double back on the 7 train.

From Howard Beach, it seems you take A line to what looks like Brooklyn.

Yep.

Which would be more interesting, for shops/sights etc? And where would be
the best place to get off the train/subway thing?

It depends what you'd most want to do. Do you want some East Asian
food (Flushing)? Some Indian or Latin American food (74 St. or 82 St.,
Jackson Heights)? Botanic Gardens (A to the station where you can get
the Franklin Av. Shuttle to Botanic Gardens - also the Brooklyn Museum
is right near there and interesting)?

My flight gets in to JFK around noon, and my flight out of the US leaves JFK
around 7pm, so I have the whole PM to play with.

Yep. Basically, you'll have a few hours.

Maybe the Brooklyn Museum/Botanic Gardens would be a good idea. I'm
guessing it will take you about 45 minutes to get to and from them by
public transportation, though. JFK is way the hell out there, from the
viewpoint of a Manhattanite.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old April 4th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Brian Wickham

wrote:

Thanks for all the help with locating the JFK AirTrain. I have been happily
looking on the various websites. Now I have to plan a place to spend the
afternoon. The AirTrain will take to you either Jamaica, or Howard Beach.

From Jamaica, it seems a short trip to Flushing area, on E line.
From Howard Beach, it seems you take A line to what looks like Brooklyn.

Which would be more interesting, for shops/sights etc? And where would be
the best place to get off the train/subway thing?

My flight gets in to JFK around noon, and my flight out of the US leaves JFK
around 7pm, so I have the whole PM to play with.

Take the AirTrain to Jamaica and any LIRR train going into Penn
Station. The LIRR will take about 20 minutes whereas an E train could
take 40 minutes or more. The LIRR costs $4.75 each way off peak,
which is what you will be traveling. I would catch a 4 pm train back
to be safe. http://lirr42.mta.info/index.asp for schedule and fares.

If you go to Flushing you will have worn that out in about 10 minutes.
Don't bother.

Brian Wickham
Old April 4th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
"ant" wrote:

Thanks for all the help with locating the JFK AirTrain. I have been happily
looking on the various websites. Now I have to plan a place to spend the
afternoon. The AirTrain will take to you either Jamaica, or Howard Beach.

From Jamaica, it seems a short trip to Flushing area, on E line.
From Howard Beach, it seems you take A line to what looks like Brooklyn.

Which would be more interesting, for shops/sights etc? And where would be
the best place to get off the train/subway thing?

My flight gets in to JFK around noon, and my flight out of the US leaves JFK
around 7pm, so I have the whole PM to play with.

Why not spend two or three hours visiting Manhattan? I can't imagine
that either Flushing or Brooklyn would be more interesting for a short
visit than Manhattan. You could enjoy a nice lunch somewhere, then maybe
a brief visit to a museum, or just do some shopping, or maybe walk
around Central Park if your visit is during the daylight hours.
Old April 4th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Miguel Cruz

Rita wrote:
The A train has many stops in Brooklyn, almost all in areas you would
not care to visit. It does stop in downtown Brooklyn, which is nothing to
see

The Fulton Mall (not an enclosed shopping mall) is an interestintg cultural
experience for people who haven't spent much time in urban USA.

miguel

Old April 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Larry Gould

One idea nobody mentioned- take AirTrain to Jamaica then the E train to
Forest Hills and walk south to the Forest Hills Gardens neighborhood.
This is not ethnic or intense, but it is one of the most beautifully
designed and landscaped neighborhoods in the USA.
--
"There's no such thing as Free Parking!"
Larry Gould

Old April 5th, 2004, 02:03 AM
ant

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Rita wrote:
The A train has many stops in Brooklyn, almost all in areas you would
not care to visit. It does stop in downtown Brooklyn, which is nothing

see

The Fulton Mall (not an enclosed shopping mall) is an interestintg

cultural
experience for people who haven't spent much time in urban USA.

Which station do you get off at for that?

ant

Old April 5th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Brian Wickham

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:43:42 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

The Fulton Mall (not an enclosed shopping mall) is an interestintg cultural
experience for people who haven't spent much time in urban USA.

Well that's one description! I've been there and it is not much
different than 86 St in Bay Ridge , Main Street in Flushing, Steinway
Street in Astoria or Fordham Road off the Concourse. I've got nothing
against all these places but for a precious few hours I think Fifth
Ave in midtown or 34 St around Herald Square is a better experience.

Brian
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Pan

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 03:56:17 GMT, Brian Wickham
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:43:42 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

The Fulton Mall (not an enclosed shopping mall) is an interestintg cultural
experience for people who haven't spent much time in urban USA.

Well that's one description! I've been there and it is not much
different than 86 St in Bay Ridge , Main Street in Flushing, Steinway
Street in Astoria or Fordham Road off the Concourse. I've got nothing
against all these places but for a precious few hours I think Fifth
Ave in midtown or 34 St around Herald Square is a better experience.

Herald Square during peak hours is awful - terribly crowded.

I don't think the Fulton Mall is very interesting at all. I work near
there and seldom feel any reason to go there. If someone did want to
go there, the stop to get off the A train would be Jay St., though.

Why does everyone seem so sour on the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens as a
pleasant place to while away a few hours??

Old April 5th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Miguel Cruz

Pan wrote:
Brian Wickham wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
The Fulton Mall (not an enclosed shopping mall) is an interestintg cultural
experience for people who haven't spent much time in urban USA.

Well that's one description! I've been there and it is not much
different than 86 St in Bay Ridge , Main Street in Flushing, Steinway
Street in Astoria or Fordham Road off the Concourse. I've got nothing
against all these places but for a precious few hours I think Fifth
Ave in midtown or 34 St around Herald Square is a better experience.

Herald Square during peak hours is awful - terribly crowded.

I don't think the Fulton Mall is very interesting at all. I work near
there and seldom feel any reason to go there. If someone did want to
go there, the stop to get off the A train would be Jay St., though.

I think that's precisely because you wortrk near there and it's old hat
toyou. I've brought Europeans and Australians there and some of them have
called it one of the highlights of their experience precisely because it is
quite different to what they're accustomed to.

Why does everyone seem so sour on the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens as a
pleasant place to while away a few hours??

Boring? You can find botanical gardens anywhere.

miguel