Help with lost train ticket due to plane being late

Old January 13th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Bob Wallace

Default Help with lost train ticket due to plane being late

Hope to get some feedback on this. My itinerary was
Cincinati-Paris-Oslo with Delta/Air France. Due to overbooking
reasons, my flight to Paris got late an lost my flight; the new flight
also departed 30 minutes late (my final destination in the
AirFrance/Delta itinerary was Oslo). I had non-refundable train
ticket from Oslo to Bergen, so i lost it and got to buy another one.
Air France representatives could not do anthing but they told me to
write to Air France. My question is, has anyone had success getting a
(train) refund in these kind of situations? what would my best shot
be?

Regards and thank you for your input

Bob
Old January 13th, 2004, 03:53 PM
JohnT

"Bob Wallace" wrote in message
Hope to get some feedback on this. My itinerary was
Cincinati-Paris-Oslo with Delta/Air France. Due to overbooking
reasons, my flight to Paris got late an lost my flight; the new flight
also departed 30 minutes late (my final destination in the
AirFrance/Delta itinerary was Oslo). I had non-refundable train
ticket from Oslo to Bergen, so i lost it and got to buy another one.
Air France representatives could not do anthing but they told me to
write to Air France. My question is, has anyone had success getting a
(train) refund in these kind of situations? what would my best shot
be?

Regards and thank you for your input

Bob

I don't think AF have any liability at all. Your travel insurance should cover
it.

JohnT

Old January 13th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Bob Wallace" wrote in message
Hope to get some feedback on this. My itinerary was
Cincinati-Paris-Oslo with Delta/Air France. Due to overbooking
reasons, my flight to Paris got late an lost my flight; the new flight
also departed 30 minutes late (my final destination in the
AirFrance/Delta itinerary was Oslo). I had non-refundable train
ticket from Oslo to Bergen, so i lost it and got to buy another one.
Air France representatives could not do anthing but they told me to
write to Air France. My question is, has anyone had success getting a
(train) refund in these kind of situations? what would my best shot
be?

Unless you booked your rail ticket through Air France and they guaranteed
your connection then neither side has any responsibility.

You should claim on your travel insurance.

Old January 13th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Dick Locke

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:41:11 -0000, "Mark Hewitt"
wrote:

You should claim on your travel insurance

Two people mentioned travel insurance like it's a normal thing to
have. Is this a European thing? I'm in the US and fly a fair amount
and it's never crossed my mind to get it. I never imagined that you
could be insured against the costs of late arrivals.

Are there reputable US companies that issue this kind of insurance?
Web sites?

Thanks

Old January 13th, 2004, 10:02 PM
JohnT

wrote:

You should claim on your travel insurance

Two people mentioned travel insurance like it's a normal thing to
have. Is this a European thing? I'm in the US and fly a fair amount
and it's never crossed my mind to get it. I never imagined that you
could be insured against the costs of late arrivals.

Are there reputable US companies that issue this kind of insurance?
Web sites?

Thanks

I am sure that USAians can answer your specific question but, to Europeans, the
primary purpose of travel insurance is medical cover. The travel delay part is
occasionally useful. If you travel outside the USA and fall ill or break a leg
how are you going to get treatment and return home without medical insurance?

JohnT

Old January 13th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Jenn

wrote:

[...]

that seems odd since European tourists are entitled to medical care
throughout the EU

most US medical insurance [with the exception of medicare] covers people
for injuries and illness abroad -- it is rare for it to provide
evacuation though [although mine does] so older Americans usually buy
travel insurance -- young healthy ones rarely do
Old January 13th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Tony Lennard

that seems odd since European tourists are entitled to medical care
throughout the EU

Firstly this is normally not completely free, you are only entitled to
medical care for the same cost as a local (if you have an E111 if you come
from the UK for instance). Secondly, obviously the EU does not cover every
country in Europe (let alone the world). People from the UK who travel
often, normally have an annual policy, for about £40 to £100 a year (about
$70 to $180).

Tony

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:14 AM
Dick Locke

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:02:37 -0000, "JohnT"
wrote:

If you travel outside the USA and fall ill or break a leg
how are you going to get treatment and return home without medical insurance?

In general, almost all our health plans cover us when abroad. It's a
bit of a hassle, because we have to pay first and get reimbursed
later, and the insurance companies can get sticky about more than
basic patch-up and send-home, but coverage doesn't stop at the border.

Old January 14th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Mark Hewitt

wrote:

You should claim on your travel insurance

Two people mentioned travel insurance like it's a normal thing to
have. Is this a European thing? I'm in the US and fly a fair amount
and it's never crossed my mind to get it. I never imagined that you
could be insured against the costs of late arrivals.

No idea if it is a European thing or not. However just the same as I drive
with insurance on my car. I wouldn't like to go a long way from home without
some sort of protection that, if something happens I won't be able to get
proper medical attention and get sent home.

Insurance also covers things like losing your passport or tickets (handy for
me, I'm always losing stuff!). And to a certain extent covers missed
connections too. As you can imagine theres lots of exceptions to the missed
connections thing, i.e. if you book a flight which arrives at 08.30 and
inevitably miss the 08.31 train then of course they aren't going to pay out!

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:02:37 -0000 in rec.travel.air, "JohnT"
wrote:

If you travel outside the USA and fall ill or break a leg
how are you going to get treatment and return home without medical insurance?

Blue Cross says to charge/pay for it and then turn the bills in
to them, at least in my benefits book.