From Ireland to the Uk for love

Old July 3rd, 2004, 10:12 PM
Tony

Default From Ireland to the Uk for love

I need to locate some difinative clarification regarding the laws
(rules) which allow a non-EU national to travel between Ireland and
the UK. Ideally I need to know if I leave my current vacation
destination of Ireland and travel for a short trip (weekend or so)to
the UK, when I re-enter Ireland will my (Candaian) passport be stamped
with a new 90 day Ireland visitors stamp, or will the authorites
simply see that my first Ireland visitors stamp has yet to expire and
therefor not re-stamp my passport???
The prime reason, I ask is that ideally I would like to see Europe for
say a year to a year and a half (without steping off European
soil...aka..returning to North America), but make Ireland my "home-
base", travelling to and from, but typically not longer then a few
days at most outside of Ireland, but as they have a 90 day visitor law
(passport stamp)for non-nations, (Oh how I envy all the EU-citizens!!!)
Would this rage official red-flags at some point, or be entirely
alright to do? As I have no sinister or shady motives, simply a new-
found love for Ireland and the (modest) means to support myself on an
etended European vacation
~ps, I am currently into the second month of my trip to Ireland, so I
still have some time remaining on the initial entry stamp I received
when coming into Ireland from Canada. (also if it makes an difference
to teh situation, I fly from Canada to Heathrow, London, and then
boarded a different plan to Ireland, thereby incurring a UK passport
stamp, simply by passing through there airport, the durration of which
was stamped for 6 months, but I was only in the UK for an hour or so,
then straight on to Ireland)
Perhaps I'm not that clear till now, so let's clarify my situation.
I'm currently in Ireland and I want to remain here as long as possible
(to stay here with my partner who is an EU national).
What I really want is travel a day to the UK just to get a new
up to date stamp on the passport that will enable me to stay for
another 3 months in Ireland. (I want to be sure to keep everything
legal).
I've thought all the possible other way to stay longer, but as I and my
partner aren't married or common-law, we can't take advantage of the
law
pertaining EU married people immigrating in Ireland.
Just to be very clear:

-I don't need to work in Ireland, my partner can maintain me till we
get
married (within 8 months).
- I would be very happy to just keep the status of visitor as long as I
can stay here with my girl-friend

Now the real question is, if I go for a short trip in to the UK, when I
come back to Ireland, do I get a new stamp on my passport from the
immigration office in Dublin?

If there are special regulations between Ireland and UK. Do you know
any
other country where I could go to get a new stamp upon return to
Ireland?

I would like to know something about the current law. I mean, if I
leave
Ireland to come back home to Canada. How long do I have to wait before
can come back to Ireland? I want to know if there is any limit to the
number of consecutive 90 days visit permit a person can recieve from
Ireland in one given year? If there aren't laws about this matter, and
they just state that I can't stay longer than 90 days consecutively,
this means they can't bounce me at the border. Right?

Thanks to all for the help really appreciated.
Best Regards,
Tony

Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net
Old July 4th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Alec

"Tony" wrote in message
I need to locate some difinative clarification regarding the laws
(rules) which allow a non-EU national to travel between Ireland and
the UK. Ideally I need to know if I leave my current vacation
destination of Ireland and travel for a short trip (weekend or so)to
the UK, when I re-enter Ireland will my (Candaian) passport be stamped
with a new 90 day Ireland visitors stamp, or will the authorites
simply see that my first Ireland visitors stamp has yet to expire and
therefor not re-stamp my passport???

As both Ireland and UK are in the Common Travel Area, there is normally no
immigration control between the two countries. You may have to show your
passport when checking in for your flight (for ID purpose), but when you
land in UK your flight is treated as internal and there is a spacial channel
for travellers from Ireland that bypasses the immigration. So, no, you won't
get a UK stamp.

[...]

Basically what you are trying to do doesn't work. Your stay in UK will be
treated as part of the 3 months you are allowed to stay in Ireland. While
there is no hard-and-fast rule like Schengen's '90 days in any 180 days',
frequent trips to continental Europe will probably arouse the Irish
immigration's suspicions about the true nature of your stay in Ireland and
your finances.

-I don't need to work in Ireland, my partner can maintain me till we
get
married (within 8 months).
- I would be very happy to just keep the status of visitor as long as I
can stay here with my girl-friend

I would have thought some kind of long-stay visa in Ireland reflecting your
circumstance (i.e. soon to be married to an EU national) would be
preferable.

[...]

As I said, I don't think there is a firm rule about how many days you need
to stay away before being readmitted as visitor, but you do it too often and
you may face some hassles and close attention from immigration garda.

Alec

Old July 4th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Tony" wrote in message
I need to locate some difinative clarification regarding the laws
(rules) which allow a non-EU national to travel between Ireland and
the UK. Ideally I need to know if I leave my current vacation
destination of Ireland and travel for a short trip (weekend or so)to
the UK, when I re-enter Ireland will my (Candaian) passport be stamped
with a new 90 day Ireland visitors stamp, or will the authorites
simply see that my first Ireland visitors stamp has yet to expire and
therefor not re-stamp my passport???

Ireland and the UK have an immigration agreement in that there are no
controls for travelling between the two countries. You don't need a passport
to travel to and from Ireland and the United Kingdom nor will immigration
put any stamps in it when you do travel. For most airports flights between
Ireland and the UK are treated as domestic. You might need ID to get on the
plane but nothing more.

As the authorities are not interested in your passport for this trip, it is,
in effect, as if you never left Ireland.

Old August 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Edward King

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 21:12:37 GMT, "Tony"
wrote:

snip

It appears you are wanting to remain in Ireland for longer than your
90-day visitor entitlement would allow you; that you in fact intend to
seek permanent residence in Ireland at some point to live with your
girlfriend. If so, I'd recommend the following:

Don't attempt any 'cute' tricks to stay in Ireland beyond your
allotted 90 days. If discovered later, they'll only prejudice your
attempts to establish permanent residence.

Spend all your 90 days in Ireland. If you're going to move there, you
need to learn as much as possible about the place you're going to call
home. Check out the local job situation for those with your skills -
to see if you can make a living there.

At the end of your 90 days, go back to Canada. Get back in touch with
your home country. Realise that, if you emigrate to Ireland, you're
leaving all this behind. Stay home for 2-3 months and weigh up the
pros and cons. Have your girlfriend come to Canada for a while if
possible. At least 2 weeks vacation if nothing else. After all,
*she* might want to move to be with *you* ;-)

If, at the end of this, you still want to move to Ireland, get another
visitor's visa. Register with the Garda when you arrive to say you
intend to seek longer residence in Ireland, and why. Be honest, as
being anything else will only count against you.

Irish immigration info can be found at http://www.justice.ie/ -
discuss further with your local Irish consul or embassy in Canada if
needed.

Edward