Travel from San Franciso to Yosemite

Old May 24th, 2006, 07:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Travel from San Franciso to Yosemite

Note that the only reference to that stretch of 120 that I could
find on CalTrans' website said they were running one-way traffic
through the area and there could be up to 20 minute delays. I have
not been able to confirm an actual closure as was posted here. But
if it is closed, then RVs would either have to take OPG or go down
Hwy 49 to Hwy 140.

Patty

You don't have to go all the way to 140. There is a road from Coulterville
that comes out on 120 east of Groveland.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Old May 24th, 2006, 07:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"trippinkpj" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a friend who drives the Priest Grade with a 30 ft. Motor Home.
Very slowly, as he told me once. :-)

I doubt very much that he's using the Old Priest Grade and he would be
driving very slowly using the New Priest Grade.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Old May 24th, 2006, 08:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"RVer Don" wrote in message

"trippinkpj" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a friend who drives the Priest Grade with a 30 ft. Motor Home.
Very slowly, as he told me once. :-)

I doubt very much that he's using the Old Priest Grade and he would be
driving very slowly using the New Priest Grade.

aw shucks...I'd be there in a second if he's going down Old Priest Grade.
Be worth the trip all the way out there just to watch him. Uphill would
also be a treat to watch - especially on a 90 degree plus day with someone
just ahead of him doing 15 mph. But downhill would definitely be much, much
more interesting to observe.

Old May 25th, 2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

In article ,
RVer Don wrote:

You don't have to go all the way to 140. There is a road from Coulterville
that comes out on 120 east of Groveland.

Ah, right, I've seen that. It joins 120 near Buck Meadows, right?
Is it suitable for RVs? I've been meaning to try it one of these
days. (I don't have an RV; I was just asking because this thread
was about which routes RVers could use during the repair work on
New Priest Grade, or whatever's happening there.)

BTW, Hwy 140 into Yosemite is sort of reopening tomorrow, albeit
only one direction at a time through the damaged part, and hence
there will be delays.

Patty

Old May 25th, 2006, 07:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

You don't have to go all the way to 140. There is a road from
Coulterville
that comes out on 120 east of Groveland.

Ah, right, I've seen that. It joins 120 near Buck Meadows, right?
Is it suitable for RVs? I've been meaning to try it one of these
days.

That's right, just about at Buck Meadows. It's not bad, I've driven my 36'
Bounder over it a couple of times.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Old May 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Glacier Point Road open TODAY {was Travel from San Franciso to Yosemite

Good Day-

Glacier Point road open to normal traffic today, Thursday, May 25th.

Tioga Pass Road (120) will be open to Yosemite Creek Bridge, by
Saturday May 27.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/tioga.htm

jay
Thu May 25, 2006

Old May 25th, 2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,
RVer Don wrote:
You don't have to go all the way to 140. There is a road from Coulterville
that comes out on 120 east of Groveland.

Ah, right, I've seen that. It joins 120 near Buck Meadows, right?
Is it suitable for RVs? I've been meaning to try it one of these
days. (I don't have an RV; I was just asking because this thread
was about which routes RVers could use during the repair work on
New Priest Grade, or whatever's happening there.)

When I become president, RVs will not be allowed in national parks.
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"SMS" wrote in message
Patty Winter wrote:
In article ,
RVer Don wrote:
You don't have to go all the way to 140. There is a road from
Coulterville that comes out on 120 east of Groveland.

Ah, right, I've seen that. It joins 120 near Buck Meadows, right?
Is it suitable for RVs? I've been meaning to try it one of these
days. (I don't have an RV; I was just asking because this thread
was about which routes RVers could use during the repair work on
New Priest Grade, or whatever's happening there.)

When I become president, RVs will not be allowed in national parks.

No worry, you will not be elected. Maybe we should ban backpackers. All
that tromping over the land and meadows screws them up.

Old October 20th, 2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Thanks Patty.

C-H-A-R-L-E-S .....

Make note of what she just said and check your map before you start
driving. Or even re-evaluate if you want to do the trip
So Patty, if he can't come in via 120, how should he get there from
downtown San Francisco ?

Bobb

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
In article ,
- Bobb - wrote:

Speaking of which, how IS the weather in Yosemite these days ? All
the
roads open again ?

No, not at all. 120 is still closed east of Crane Flat, the Glacier
Point Road is still closed, and Hwy 140 is still closed east of
Briceburg due to that rock slide, according to the CalTrans website.

Patty