Best hotel booking portals?

Old June 15th, 2012, 07:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andreas H. Zappel

Default Best hotel booking portals?

(David Horne) wrote:

Recently I stayed a few days in a hotel in Athens with a couple of
friends. As I have known the hotel for years I never bothered reading
comments online, but for my friends it was the first time there and they
did - the worst someone could find to say was that there was a sex video
shop across the street from the hotel! My friends were indignant - why is
it the hotel's problem?!

That's a very good point.
What can a hotel (manager) do against shops on the street?
To use this as point in a hotel review as a minus point is only
stupid.

In some parts of the world, though not Athens, those kinds of shops are

ACK, but it is only in some parts of the world.

associated with seedy, run-down areas. Or for other reasons, people
don't like walking out of their hotel and seeing a sex video shop. It
doesn't bother me, but I can imagine a number of readers of the review
would find that information useful.

The information might be useful, but 1. if the hotel was there before
the shop, they cannot do anything against it, and 2. even if such a
shop is located near by, that doesn't mean, that the area is a running
down.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andreas H. Zappel

"M@gd@" wrote:

... I just got another point like this: A guest did book a single room and
... got this room. Now he is complaining that we don't allow him to stay
... with a second person in the room.
... Why he didn't book a double room?

It didn't occur to him to ask to be transferred to a double room? Complaining online is
easier or what?!

He did ask, but it was fully booked and he didn't like the answer that
only three days after his arrival a room for two persons will be
availabe and we will inform him the day before he can change the room.
He did ask the same question to everyone in the reception and got
always the same answer.

Next thing, he will complain about being asked to pay for the second person... I'm just
half-kidding.

Not this customer, but some others did already - and I'm not kidding.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andreas H. Zappel

Martin wrote:

That's a very good point.
What can a hotel (manager) do against shops on the street?
To use this as point in a hotel review as a minus point is only
stupid.

It's useful for those who don't want to stay in a hotel near a sex
shop.

But why such an information is always noted in the negativ part of an
review? eg

I just got another point like this: A guest did book a single room and
got this room. Now he is complaining that we don't allow him to stay
with a second person in the room.
Why he didn't book a double room?

Maybe he picked her up after he booked? :-)

That could have been the solution, but it's not - he told us that he
came to Cologne to meet her.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andreas H. Zappel

Alfred Molon wrote:

I just got another point like this: A guest did book a single room and
got this room. Now he is complaining that we don't allow him to stay
with a second person in the room.
Why he didn't book a double room?

Often when you book a single room you get a double room.

In hotel chains yes, but not in smaller hotels.
BTW, even if you get a double room the rate might be different if you
use it with two persons.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas
Old June 16th, 2012, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Andreas H.
Zappel says...
I just got another point like this: A guest did book a single room and
got this room. Now he is complaining that we don't allow him to stay
with a second person in the room.
Why he didn't book a double room?

Often when you book a single room you get a double room.

I get a double much more often than a real single. There apparently aren't
all that many singles.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old June 16th, 2012, 06:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andreas H. Zappel

"M@gd@" wrote:

... I just got another point like this: A guest did book a single room and
... got this room. Now he is complaining that we don't allow him to stay
... with a second person in the room.
... Why he didn't book a double room?
... Often when you book a single room you get a double room.
... In hotel chains yes, but not in smaller hotels.

The hotel I mentioned is not part of chain - I always stayed there alone (before this
last trip with my friends) and always got a room with two single beds - but they charge by
the number of people occupying the room.

Depending on the number of single rooms they have.
Why should they send a customer away if there are still rooms
available?

A friend of mine only got 4 single rooms in the building, so if
someone booked there a single room he might get a double room instead,
paying a single room. I got nearly 50% of my rooms as single rooms, so
if you book one you might get one.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andreas H. Zappel

Martin wrote:

I just got another point like this: A guest did book a single room and
got this room. Now he is complaining that we don't allow him to stay
with a second person in the room.
Why he didn't book a double room?
Often when you book a single room you get a double room.

In hotel chains yes, but not in smaller hotels.
BTW, even if you get a double room the rate might be different if you
use it with two persons.

That depends a lot on the country where the hotel is located.

Not only. It is also the question if the rate is including breakfast
or not.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas
Old June 16th, 2012, 07:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Andreas H. Zappel

Erilar wrote:

I just got another point like this: A guest did book a single room and
got this room. Now he is complaining that we don't allow him to stay
with a second person in the room.
Why he didn't book a double room?

Often when you book a single room you get a double room.

I get a double much more often than a real single. There apparently aren't
all that many singles.

But you cannot be shure what you get.
Anf if you know, that you will be with someone, why do you book the
single room, specially if the reservation system says: "Max. number of
persons 1" and you see that the double room is more expensive.

Greetings from Cologne

Andreas
Old June 17th, 2012, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , Andreas H.
Zappel says...
Try the hotel itself, and you can get a better rate (because they
don't have to pay the reservation system) or you get a better room for
the same rate which was offered in the system.
(I know, what I'm speaking about - I work in a hotel and with booking
portals)

It may sound illogical, but I remember sometimes getting a better rate
through a booking portal than directly from the hotel.

so do I

IME if you are getting a good discount rate from a booking site it is next
to impossible to match that rate by contacting the hotel directly as they
almost always see direct contacts as "mugs" prepared to pay the walk up rate

tim

--

Alfred Molon