Accomodation/eating cheap in Hong Kong

Old June 28th, 2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

Default Accomodation/eating cheap in Hong Kong

We're thinking about staying at Mirador mansion whil ein Hong Kong this
summer in order to save a bundle. Any recommendations (or warnings)
concerning which of the many guest-houses to stay at?
I've heard that Miradior is a tad safer and cleaner than the legendary
Chungking mansion.

Also, while staying there (we'll be there for a month), which places
are recommended for a cheap breakfast/lunch? We're thinking that if we
can save money on that we can at least get a decent dinner each day
without breaking the bank.

Old July 1st, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

wrote:
Arild P. wrote:

Also, while staying there (we'll be there for a month), which places
are recommended for a cheap breakfast/lunch?

i think i can answer the eatting part for you .... there are a lot of
restaurants where they have "breakfast sets" costs only HK$20 and lunch
for HK$35 which is good for any budget goers. they are all over the
main streets at kowloon (nathan street) or wanchai/causeway bay
(lockhart road and hennessay road), check this web site which may help
you get an idea:

http://www.hongkongfoodguide.com/cgi...&submit .y=12

Wow! That's great!!! Thanks.
I was in HK two years ago, but had a hard time finding something
suitable. I guess I didn't know what to look for. There were lots of
places to eat, but either they looked too fancy and expensive or
tourist, or they looked like places where I wouldn't understand how to
order.
The places you talk about: are they those Chinese restaurants with a
lot of red color around the entrances and big round tables, or small
cafes, or something entirely different?
Is it Chinese food or just sandwiches, tea, coffee... the usual western
stuff?
I love Chinese :-)

The price is great! Can we go to the same kind of places to get a cheap
(and good) dinner as well?
And if we want real Chinese food (not any touristy or "westernized"
Chinese food, but rather places HK people usually go), do they
understand English at most of those restaurants (and have an English
menu), or would we be pretty lost?

for lodging ... so far i know you may have to be careful about those
"mansions" coz some of them are actually brothels even they emphasize
"one person renting." and chungking mansion is not too safe as you
think. therefore it's better to go for YMCA.

I know, but the cost :-(
Still, I stayed at Mirador Mansion two years ago and was very happy.
Sure it wasn't a 5 star hotel, but it's a lot more fun experiencing HK
from something else than the touristy side. A hotel in HK is probably
like any hotel in any other country, but Chunking or Mirador mansion...
now that's something to write home about!
But I share your concern -use common sense, check your options (which
is why I chose Mirador mansion and not Chungking).

good luck and i am sure you will enjoy the trip to HK!

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it :-)