Alaskan cruises

Old March 25th, 2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Judy Heuman

Default Alaskan cruises

My husband and I are planning to go on an Alaskan cruise in June with
our two adult sons and their spouses. We have collected brochures and
have limited our choices to Princess, Norwegian or Royal Caribbean
cruise lines.

We're interested to know your personal experiences with these cruises
- which had good on-board activities and good excursions. Which
excursions do you recommend?

There are so many choices -- it's hard to decide without more
information.

Thanks. Judy

Judy Heuman
Old March 25th, 2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Craig

"Judy Heuman" wrote...

My husband and I are planning to go on an Alaskan cruise in June with
our two adult sons and their spouses. We have collected brochures and
have limited our choices to Princess, Norwegian or Royal Caribbean
cruise lines.

We're interested to know your personal experiences with these cruises
- which had good on-board activities and good excursions. Which
excursions do you recommend?

There are so many choices -- it's hard to decide without more
information.

Thanks. Judy

Judy Heuman

Judy, et al.,

I'll leave the choice of which line and what to do on board to others as
I've never done anything beyond ride the Alaskan and BC ferries, experiences
to be savored nonetheless.

I have worked in Skagway both for the NPS and WP&YR. As a RR train agent,
I got acquainted with the passengers from these cruise lines and agree with
your three choices in that these were often the best folks to be among--you
haven't chosen any of the cheaper cruise lines (with their sometimes cranky
passengers) and have avoided the hi-end lines (where, sadly, some passengers
could be described as being a bit arrogant or pompous). Hee, can you tell
I've retired from seasonal Alaskan summer work and don't have to worry about
what I say to get a job again? I would add to your list of acceptable cruise
lines, those "Dam" ships, the ships of Holland America.

In any event, from what I've heard from passengers, any flightseeing trip
is a bit of a risk: with a reserved flight at a port, the weather can be bad
enough to not be enjoyable even though you'll still fly, your trip could be
cancelled due to weather, or it could be a great trip. On the other hand, if
you wait until you know what the weather may be on a given day, a
flightseeing trip from your cruise line may be sold out.

In Juneau, I'd personally not sign up for any excursion--I'd simply spend
your shore time walking through the downtown area, maybe take a trip out to
Mendenhall Glacier or a taxi to a great fish restaurant (which may be called
the Ore House or something like that). Definitely visit the statue of the
dog on the docks.

If stopping in Wrangell, look for little kids on the docks selling
garnets. Buy some and chat with them a while.

In Skagway, I'd suggest a 3-hr Summit train ride and the other half of the
day wandering through or outside of town on foot. The Park Service Visitors
Center has great free (but get your free ticket early) Walking Tours, a
short movie, and much more. if you're looking to expend some calories from
the cruise ship food, Skagway has abundant very nearby hiking trails
suitable for all abilities (ask at the NPS Visitors Center for trailheads
and routing). A walk out to the Gold Rush Cemetery is also fun if the Lower
Dewey Lake or Yakutania Point hikes seem too much. If you plan to buy some
jewelry (I only say this as it's a common cruise ship passenger thing to do
in ports), I can suggest a couple of nice shops. Oh yes, speaking of
shopping--some cruise lines (thank goodness I don't remember who they are)
did and may still offer passengers a list of "recommended shopping options"
in the various ports. It may still be true that these lists and the cruise
line employees handing them out suggest that shop owners not on the list may
be less than honest, etc. Hogwash--these lists were composed of shops that
paid the cruise line to be added to the line's "preferred shopping sites
list". Don't be suckered into shopping only at the cruise line's preferred
shopping sites or those sites that offer coupons on the ship for their
wares. To sample non-cruise foods in Skagway, a drink at the Red Onion and
lunch or dinner at the Fish Company (on the RR Dock, not to be confused with
the Broadway Dock or Ore Dock) is a great choice for a beverage and halibut
sandwich! Back in my days in Skagway, one of the most highly-rated shore
excursions including a short train ride combined with a hike, bike ride,
helicopter trip or some such train/other combo tour. If offered, check it
out.

If your cruise doesn't visit Glacier Bay and an overnight excursion is
offered, I'd consider it.

Don't think you need to sign up for a shore excursion at each port. Not
only will that be expensive, but by midway through the cruise, you'll savor
some personal time. On a 5-7 day cruise, 1-2 paid shore excursions may be
good. Be careful of signing up for 3+ trips. Even if reserving a spot on 0
excursions, you'll have great fun if you come with the right attitude.

Final word of warning: many towns are like Skagway where the locals listen
for interesting tourist comments that may well end up in the local
newspaper...

here's a fairly tame selection from the end of last year's season:

http://www.skagwaynews.com/101306heardonwind.html

In any event, dress in layers, bring fairly good rain gear and an
adventurous spirit and you'll be planning your next trip to Alaska very
soon--hopefully one that includes a visit to the Interior of Alaska and
Canada's Yukon. Hmm, maybe I should also suggest that getting and bringing
your passport with you is a good idea.

Old March 26th, 2007, 12:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
Craig wrote:
In Juneau, I'd personally not sign up for any excursion--I'd simply
spend your shore time walking through the downtown area, maybe take
a trip out to Mendenhall Glacier ....

What do you think about dayhiking out of Juneau?

Old March 26th, 2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"Judy Heuman" wrote in message
news
My husband and I are planning to go on an Alaskan cruise in June with
our two adult sons and their spouses. We have collected brochures and
have limited our choices to Princess, Norwegian or Royal Caribbean
cruise lines.

We're interested to know your personal experiences with these cruises
- which had good on-board activities and good excursions. Which
excursions do you recommend?

There are so many choices -- it's hard to decide without more
information.

Look at www.cruisecritic.com and/or rec.travel.cruises.

Marianne

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Judy Heuman

Dear Craig,

Your reply was so informative -- I really appreciate it! But, it
leads me to have more detailed questions about excursions that I think
are not properly put into the entire newsgroup. If it's not too much
trouble, could you send me a useable address so I can write to you
personally?

I'll be grateful if you do!

Thanks. Judy

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:02:35 GMT, "Craig" wrote:
I'll leave the choice of which line and what to do on board to others as
I've never done anything beyond ride the Alaskan and BC ferries, experiences
to be savored nonetheless.

(snipped)

Judy Heuman
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Craig

"Todd Michel McComb" wrote...

In article ,
Craig wrote:
In Juneau, I'd personally not sign up for any excursion--I'd simply
spend your shore time walking through the downtown area, maybe take
a trip out to Mendenhall Glacier ....

What do you think about dayhiking out of Juneau?

I have no idea. It'd be worth looking into.

Craig

Old March 26th, 2007, 03:54 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
Craig wrote:
I have no idea. It'd be worth looking into.

OK, thanks. I do have some hiking guides, and hiking out of Juneau
sounds like a good bet. I was hoping for a little insider info.

(I'll be there in August.)

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Craig

"Todd Michel McComb" wrote...

Craig wrote:

I have no idea. It'd be worth looking into.

OK, thanks. I do have some hiking guides, and hiking out of Juneau
sounds like a good bet. I was hoping for a little insider info.

(I'll be there in August.)

Since you've got the guides, you're ahead of me. My general thoughts are
that for cruise ship folks who are let off in the downtown area, that the
flat area is of narrow depth and very wide and fully built up with
businesses and homes. So for these folks, maybe taking the tramway uphill
would get them to some hiking. For folks with more time, hiking options
probably increase a lot the further you get from downtown. Have fun. With
luck, someone with more Juneau knowledge will pipe in and offer specific
thoughts.

Klondike Craig

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike Miller

"Judy Heuman" wrote...

Old March 27th, 2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On 25 Mar 2007 16:53:49 -0700, (Todd Michel
McComb) wrote:

What do you think about dayhiking out of Juneau?

We took a cab to the airport and rented a car. We went to Mendenhall
Glacier and there are a number of hiking trails there.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/dis...ll/trails.html

We also took Glacier highway and saw the Shrine of St. Therese which
has some nice scenery and there is a park on the same road that has a
lot of eagles.

There are also a number of things to seen in downtown Juneau.

It was a lot cheaper for us as a family of three to rent a car instead
of doing the cruise shore excursions.

It's impossible to get lost driving.