Favorite Hotel in Montreal?

Old April 7th, 2007, 01:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
d.g.s.

Default Favorite Hotel in Montreal?

I'll be booking a hotel using either Priceline or Hotwire for an
upcoming trip to Montreal, and will of course be looking at the usual
web sites - FlyerTalk, TripAdvisor, BetterBidding, etc - for advice,
but I'd be interested in reading what folks on this newsgroup think
are the better hotels to stay in in Montreal, particularly those that
offer good value for the money.
--
dgs
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-04-06 20:11:11 -0400, "d.g.s." said:

I'll be booking a hotel using either Priceline or Hotwire for an
upcoming trip to Montreal, and will of course be looking at the usual
web sites - FlyerTalk, TripAdvisor, BetterBidding, etc - for advice,
but I'd be interested in reading what folks on this newsgroup think
are the better hotels to stay in in Montreal, particularly those that
offer good value for the money.

Don't know what you want in Montreal, but we were very impressed by the
Auberge Le Pomerol at 819, Blvd. de Maisonneuve East. Small, intimate
and not too expensive.

Please note that I am NOT employed or retained by this hotel for
promotion or any other purposes. I'm merely happy about what we
encountered there.

Old April 7th, 2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 17:11:11 -0700, "d.g.s."
wrote:

I'll be booking a hotel using either Priceline or Hotwire for an
upcoming trip to Montreal, and will of course be looking at the usual
web sites - FlyerTalk, TripAdvisor, BetterBidding, etc - for advice,
but I'd be interested in reading what folks on this newsgroup think
are the better hotels to stay in in Montreal, particularly those that
offer good value for the money.

I used the Quality Inn Downtown, 2 1/2 star via Hotwire at a
"special" of US$41 pn last July. It was OK, bed was
comfortable but it was a bit seedy and a little noisy with
smallish rooms so only just earned the rating. Location was
reasonable and convenient for restaurants and we used buses
to get around.

If you want something better, stay at 3* level. I notice
some on Hotwire at the moment in the $50 region.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Epidaurus
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 06 Apr 2007 in rec.travel.usa-canada, d.g.s. wrote:

I'll be booking a hotel using either Priceline or Hotwire for an
upcoming trip to Montreal, and will of course be looking at the usual
web sites - FlyerTalk, TripAdvisor, BetterBidding, etc - for advice,
but I'd be interested in reading what folks on this newsgroup think
are the better hotels to stay in in Montreal, particularly those that
offer good value for the money.

A year or so back, we stayed at the Sandman in Longueuil. It's
relatively easy to get to, and has one huge advantage - it's directly
across the street from the Longueuil Métro Station. We parked our car
there, and it never moved in the several days we stayed.

http://www.sandmanhotels.com/hotels/quebec/montreal.php

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith[_2_]

"d.g.s." wrote:

I'll be booking a hotel using either Priceline or Hotwire for an
upcoming trip to Montreal, and will of course be looking at the usual
web sites - FlyerTalk, TripAdvisor, BetterBidding, etc - for advice,
but I'd be interested in reading what folks on this newsgroup think
are the better hotels to stay in in Montreal, particularly those that
offer good value for the money.

The last time we were in Montreal we stayed at the Hotel du Fort. The room
was very nice, and well maintained. On a previous trip we stayed at the
nearby Hotel Clarion, which was quite a bit cheaper, but not as nice.
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
d.g.s.

On 2007-04-06 20:11:11 -0400, "d.g.s." said:

[...] I'd be interested in reading what folks on this newsgroup think
are the better hotels to stay in in Montreal, particularly those that
offer good value for the money.

Don't know what you want in Montreal,

Generally, 3* and 4* places. Preferences are mainly non-smoking,
reasonably quiet, and king-size bed.

but we were very impressed by the
Auberge Le Pomerol at 819, Blvd. de Maisonneuve East. Small, intimate
and not too expensive.

Thanks. I appreciate all the replies I've seen so far.

Please note that I am NOT employed or retained by this hotel for
promotion or any other purposes. I'm merely happy about what we
encountered there.

No worries about that of course :-)
--
dgs
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Richard[_2_]

"Joe Makowiec" wrote in message
46.128...
On 06 Apr 2007 in rec.travel.usa-canada, d.g.s. wrote:

I'll be booking a hotel using either Priceline or Hotwire for an
upcoming trip to Montreal, and will of course be looking at the usual
web sites - FlyerTalk, TripAdvisor, BetterBidding, etc - for advice,
but I'd be interested in reading what folks on this newsgroup think
are the better hotels to stay in in Montreal, particularly those that
offer good value for the money.

A year or so back, we stayed at the Sandman in Longueuil. It's
relatively easy to get to, and has one huge advantage - it's directly
across the street from the Longueuil Métro Station. We parked
our car there, and it never moved in the several days we stayed.

To save everyone a visit to the public transit website for a look at the
metro map, Longueuil is a suburb that's a bit out-of-the-way. It's not even
on the island of Montreal and there's not much to do there other than grab a
metro and head into town.

I live in Montreal so I don't know much about the hotels but I can tell you
that if I were a tourist, I'd try my best to avoid hotels this far from the
downtown core.

Richard

Old April 12th, 2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
d.g.s.

On 4/6/2007 6:21 PM Alan S jumped down, turned around, and wrote:

[...]
If you want something better, stay at 3* level. I notice
some on Hotwire at the moment in the $50 region.

I wound up going 4* and wound up in the Sheraton Le Centre at $85.
I think that will work out all right. It's also a block away from
one of the reasons I'm going to Montreal: Mondial de la Biere.

Thanks to all for their input.
--
dgs