NYC - Where to Park for 5 Days

Old April 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Becky[_3_]

Default NYC - Where to Park for 5 Days

I will be driving to NYC and staying at the West Side YMCA on West 63rd
Street. I would appreciate suggestions on where I can safely park my car at
an economical (for NYC) price during my 5-day visit. I won't be using the
car during this period so the parking can be a distance away from the YMCA
if necessary so long as I can use public transportation to get from the car
to the "Y" with my suitcase. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Becky

Old April 11th, 2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article 5mQSh.11345$jS1.6146@trndny07,
"Becky" wrote:

I will be driving to NYC and staying at the West Side YMCA on West 63rd
Street. I would appreciate suggestions on where I can safely park my car at
an economical (for NYC) price during my 5-day visit. I won't be using the
car during this period so the parking can be a distance away from the YMCA
if necessary so long as I can use public transportation to get from the car
to the "Y" with my suitcase. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Which direction will you be coming from? You're probably better off
parking near a suburban commuter rail station and taking a train into
Manhattan, but the best choice depends on where you are coming from.
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Apr 10, 11:05 am, "Becky" wrote:
I will be driving to NYC and staying at the West Side YMCA on West 63rd
Street. I would appreciate suggestions on where I can safely park my car at
an economical (for NYC) price during my 5-day visit. I won't be using the
car during this period so the parking can be a distance away from the YMCA
if necessary so long as I can use public transportation to get from the car
to the "Y" with my suitcase. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Becky

You know there is the story of a Rolls Royce owner with a similar
problem; he needed a place to park the car for 2 weeks. He went into
a bank and got a $100K loan using the car as collateral. He then
handed over the keys and took a taxi to the airport. When he returned
in 2 weeks, he paid back the money plus the interest, and got his car
back.

However, I don't think this trick would work for you.

Old April 11th, 2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Becky" wrote:
I will be driving to NYC and staying at the West Side YMCA
on West 63rd Street. I would appreciate suggestions on where
I can safely park my car at an economical (for NYC) price
during my 5-day visit. I won't be using the car during this
period so the parking can be a distance away from the YMCA...

I like the idea of parking at a suburban train lot... North of the city,
I'd use just about any Metro-North station in Westchester Co. --
most of the stations are in upper-middle class communities, like
New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mammaroneck, Scarsdale, Hartsdale,
White Plains... Their trains run into Grand Central. Metro-North's
website has station-parking info: www.mta.info/mnr/. Alternatively,
park near the dock on Staten Island and take the ferry to the city.
See: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/mas.../statfery.html.

I don't know enuff about Jersey to be helpful there, but you could
see the NJ transit website with a chart of trains from Penn Station:
www.njtransit.com/sf.shtml.

Old April 11th, 2007, 07:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian K

On 4/11/2007 1:29 AM Rog' wrote:
"Becky" wrote:

[...]

In NJ Park at Newport Center, not the mall lot as that closes, there is
a parking garage near the PATH station. Then if your plans are to head
south or west of Manhattan, you can take the PATH to your car and go.
From Jersey City it's very easy to get on the NJ Turnpike or the
Pulaski Skyway.

--
____
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
bitbucket

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:05:53 GMT, Becky wrote:
| I will be driving to NYC and staying at the West Side YMCA on West 63rd
| Street. I would appreciate suggestions on where I can safely park my car at
| an economical (for NYC) price during my 5-day visit. I won't be using the
| car during this period so the parking can be a distance away from the YMCA
| if necessary so long as I can use public transportation to get from the car
| to the "Y" with my suitcase. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

if you are going to be making the trip into Manhattan, i think the Port
Authority building is a viable option (New Yorkers---is it still a viable
option?).

it's been a couple of years, and a friend was driving, but i seem to
remember the price for parking being not all that outrageous.
Old April 11th, 2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-04-11 07:55:14 -0400, bitbucket said:

if you are going to be making the trip into Manhattan, i think the Port
Authority building is a viable option (New Yorkers---is it still a viable
option?).

That was certainly true (if you're talking about the bus terminal) 40+
years ago, when I did it. I'm not sure it's safe these days, though.
Perhaps some locals can weigh in on that.

Old April 11th, 2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"bitbucket" wrote:
if you are going to be making the trip into Manhattan, i think
the Port Authority building is a viable option...
it's been a couple of years, and a friend was driving, but i seem
to remember the price for parking being not all that outrageous.

Its pricey, these days. From the bus terminal website: On-site
parking in a 3-story superstructure above the terminal roof --
1 hour = $15, 24 hours = $26.

Old April 11th, 2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
bitbucket

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:46:11 -0400, sechumlib wrote:
| On 2007-04-11 07:55:14 -0400, bitbucket said:
|
| if you are going to be making the trip into Manhattan, i think the Port
| Authority building is a viable option (New Yorkers---is it still a viable
| option?).
|
| That was certainly true (if you're talking about the bus terminal) 40+
| years ago, when I did it. I'm not sure it's safe these days, though.
| Perhaps some locals can weigh in on that.

yeah, that's it---the one on 8th ave in the 40s, i think...

that neighborhood can get a bit dicey at night, i'm sure, but just be aware
of your surroundings. as far as parking there, i have no reason to believe
it's unsafe---or less safe than any other parking option in NYC.
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Rog' wrote:

I don't know enuff about Jersey to be helpful there, but you could
see the NJ transit website with a chart of trains from Penn Station:
www.njtransit.com/sf.shtml.

She needs to find a lot that allows you to pay for multiple days, I
don't think that the Staten Island Ferry public lots work that way. I
think that you have to pay each day.

Apparently there is a private lot that does allow overnight parking, and
it's $6/day. See "http://www.siferry.com/Parking.htm" and scroll to the
bottom. Whether it's safe or not is the question.

There's always the long term parking lot at the airport for about $15
per day at JFK, or around Newark Airport for as little as $9/day, i.e.
"http://www.longtermparking.com/COUPONS/cppark2goewr2.htm".