Romantic Road, Germany in winter.

Old November 12th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Matt

Default Romantic Road, Germany in winter.

Hello, we will be in Munich in early December and our next stop is
Berlin. Cost is a major factor but we are interested in taking the
Romantic Road from Munich to Frankfurt, and then train to Berlin. We
will have Eurorail Select passes and renting a car is not an option.

My questions a
1) How long does the Munich-Frankfurt via the romantic road take (we
are a young couple, interested in sightseeing and picture taking at a
relatively fast pace?
2) How much does it cost via coach? I heard it is free with our pass
but does it take up a rail day? Are there any other fees? Can it be
done via rail?

I keep getting mixed facts from people I ask, saying that it costs a
lot extra, saying that it doesn't run in the winter, saying that there
is rail, or isn't rail, etc.

I have looked at www.romanticroad.com but that hasn't really cleared
that much up for me.

Any help would be great.

Regards,
Matt
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Leland Windreich

I took a coach tour from Munich to Wiesbaden about 10 years ago. A company
in Munich offered the trip, which took about 8 hours, with brief stops in
several towns, a lunch stop in Rothenburg, and an afternoon break in another
town closer to Frankfurt. It was a lovely trip, and there was a guide who
narrated the journey. I have no idea if it runs in Winter, but you can
surely find out from the German Tourist Office (1-800-637-1171) or from
their website: www.germany-tourism.de

Going by train would be a lost cause, as there would not be sufficient time
for photos.

om...

Old November 12th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Martin Stock

"Matt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
Hello, we will be in Munich in early December and our next stop is
Berlin. Cost is a major factor but we are interested in taking the
Romantic Road from Munich to Frankfurt, and then train to Berlin. We
will have Eurorail Select passes and renting a car is not an option.

My questions a
1) How long does the Munich-Frankfurt via the romantic road take (we
are a young couple, interested in sightseeing and picture taking at a
relatively fast pace?

First have a look at the map
http://www.romantischestrasse.de/uk/karte.php3
Neither Munich nor Frankfurt are directly on the Romantic Road.
From April to October the Romantic Road bus operates between Füssen and
Frankfurt.
http://212.63.58.23/hp/010_linie_bild/broschur2003.pdf
Füssen dep 08:00 Frankfurt arr 20:00
The onliest stop where you would able to make a few photos is in Rothenburg.

2) How much does it cost via coach?

See above linked brochure.
I heard it is free with our pass

No. But a 60% discount.
but does it take up a rail day?

Not 100% sure. But don't think so.
Are there any other fees?

Munich - Füssen plus Frankfurt - Berlin ;-)
Can it be done via rail?

No. Not following the Road. To some places: yes.

I keep getting mixed facts from people I ask, saying that it costs a
lot extra, saying that it doesn't run in the winter, saying that there
is rail, or isn't rail, etc.

More or less all true.

I have looked at www.romanticroad.com but that hasn't really cleared
that much up for me.

Sometimes the official site is a better source
http://www.romantischestrasse.de

Munich - Romantic Road - Würzburg - Berlin in one day is no option. Even not
in Summer or by car.
The optimal pace to discover the Romantic Road is by bicycle. The bus trip
itself isn't romantic at all. Bus is OK if you spent a few days on the
Romantic Road and travel with the bus from one place to the next.
Romantic are only the stops and without time even these are not romantic at
all.

What you can do:
Travel to Füssen and visit Neuschwanstein as a day trip from Munich.
http://www.neuschwanstein.de
This trip is offered by several tour operators in Munich or you can use the
Bavaria-Ticket (ERU 21,-) to go there. Bavaria-Ticket is valid on a weekday
(Mo-Fr) past 9am on all local trains in whole Bavaria for up to 5 people
travelling together.

There are two routes by ICE trains from Berlin to Munich. Both need approx.
the same time: 6,5 hours
One route is via Augsburg or Nuremberg and Würzburg.
The other via Nuremberg and Bamberg.

Würzburg is the northern end of the Romantic Road. Most famous sight is the
Residence
http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/engl...kte/wu_res.htm

Bamberg is on the Castle Road (Heidelberg - Rothenburg - Prague) and is the
town with the most old buildings in Germany.
http://www.bamberg.info/
If you're interested in taking pictures I would recommend Bamberg.

The Residence in Würzburg and the city of Bamberg are both UNESCO world
heritage sites.

Worth a stop are also Augsburg (on the Romantic Road) or Nuremberg (on the
Castle Road).
http://www.regio-augsburg.de/
http://www.nuernberg.de/english/tour...tourismus.html

Old November 13th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Mason Barge

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:46:45 +0100, "Martin Stock"
wrote:
[snip]

[...]

Thanks for the great post, Martin. I'm also thinking about spending
some time in the spring, flying into Munchen and renting a car, so
this was a help to me too.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:52 AM

My questions a
1) How long does the Munich-Frankfurt via the romantic road take (we
are a young couple, interested in sightseeing and picture taking at a
relatively fast pace?

One day. The bus rour finishes around 20:00.

2) How much does it cost via coach? I heard it is free with our pass
but does it take up a rail day? Are there any other fees? Can it be
done via rail?

Free if you have any rail pass, and won't be counted as a rail day.
But yes you have to pay for mandatory luggage fee, which is little.

I keep getting mixed facts from people I ask, saying that it costs a
lot extra, saying that it doesn't run in the winter, saying that there
is rail, or isn't rail, etc.

Check lonely planet, which should be reliable.

Lynch