Fun and scenic roads in Austria

Old July 17th, 2012, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

Default Fun and scenic roads in Austria

Starting in (and returning to) Munich, I have a rental car for 6 days
(5 nights) with the intention of finding some good driving roads next
to stunning scenery. My main target will be Austria, but I'll probably
visit the Stellajoch area in Italy as well.

What would be a (some) good Austrian base(s) for mountain driving?
Suggestions for places to stop and go for a nice 1-2 hours walk (in
regular city shoes!) are also very welcome.

I'm limited to 2100km for the trip, so I want to keep the mundane
driving to a minimum.

Old July 17th, 2012, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Jesper Lauridsen" wrote in message
Starting in (and returning to) Munich, I have a rental car for 6 days
(5 nights) with the intention of finding some good driving roads next
to stunning scenery. My main target will be Austria, but I'll probably
visit the Stellajoch area in Italy as well.

What would be a (some) good Austrian base(s) for mountain driving?
Suggestions for places to stop and go for a nice 1-2 hours walk (in
regular city shoes!) are also very welcome.

I'm limited to 2100km for the trip, so I want to keep the mundane
driving to a minimum.

Not quite in Austria, but driving over Karavanski , rather than under it and
then around Mt Triglav was fun

tim

Old July 18th, 2012, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:44:18 +0000, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

Starting in (and returning to) Munich, I have a rental car for 6 days (5
nights) with the intention of finding some good driving roads next to
stunning scenery. My main target will be Austria, but I'll probably
visit the Stellajoch area in Italy as well.

What would be a (some) good Austrian base(s) for mountain driving?
Suggestions for places to stop and go for a nice 1-2 hours walk (in
regular city shoes!) are also very welcome.

I'm limited to 2100km for the trip, so I want to keep the mundane
driving to a minimum.

There is, obvioiusly, the Silvretta scenic road in Voralberg.

http://www.silvretta-montafon.at/

http://www.tourmycountry.com/austria...tschaggunz.htm

I have been said it is a nice experience. I cannot report on it myself,
because the year when I planned to visit it, it was frequently snowing in
July, so we had to join Tyrol by the Vorarlberg tunnel.

Old July 18th, 2012, 08:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:44:18 +0000 (UTC), Jesper Lauridsen wrote in post :
:

Starting in (and returning to) Munich, I have a rental car for 6 days
(5 nights) with the intention of finding some good driving roads next
to stunning scenery. My main target will be Austria, but I'll probably
visit the Stellajoch area in Italy as well.

Sellajoch in teh Dolomites I think you mean? Definitely recommend anywhere
in the Dolomites. Or Stilfserjoch/Stelvio?

What would be a (some) good Austrian base(s) for mountain driving?
Suggestions for places to stop and go for a nice 1-2 hours walk (in
regular city shoes!) are also very welcome.

I have a site aimed at motorbikes, but much of the needs are the same as a
sporty car driver. I suggest anywhere around Mariazell in the centre of
Austria, look for Puchenstuben, Wildalpen. Or, a little further West
Hengstpass(only 1000metres - park nearby and go fora walk, there are some
nice, well marked paths nearby), Windischgarsten . Gesäuse National Park.

Spectacular is the drive on the north ramp of the Sölkpass. And one of my
all time favourites, the Nockalm (a toll road but worth the money). Don't
forget the obvious, a touch expensive toll road - but for a one-time trip
definitely worth it - the Grossglockner Hochalpinstrasse - plenty of
scenery and walks/strolls.

http:\\www.alpineroads.com : check out my top roads lists. You're welcome
to browse or even join the forum (mostly but not exclusively bikers but all
very friendly).

To get over from Austria into Italy for the Dolomites I can recommend the
Stallersattel on the border - well made and only single-track on the top of
the Italian side but controlled by long-phase traffic lights so if you get
them wrong you can always take a walk there.

--
Tim C.
Old July 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2012-07-17, tim.... wrote:

Not quite in Austria, but driving over Karavanski , rather than under it and
then around Mt Triglav was fun

Karavanski? You mean Wurzenpass instead of the Karavanke E61 tunnel? I was
in Slovenia last year where we tried to go Bovec to Kranjska Gora, but
we had spent too much time walking around Lake Bled and visiting a
waterfall at Bohinj, so we ran out of light.

Old July 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2012-07-18, Tim C. wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:44:18 +0000 (UTC), Jesper Lauridsen wrote in post :
:

Starting in (and returning to) Munich, I have a rental car for 6 days
(5 nights) with the intention of finding some good driving roads next
to stunning scenery. My main target will be Austria, but I'll probably
visit the Stellajoch area in Italy as well.

Sellajoch in teh Dolomites I think you mean? Definitely recommend anywhere
in the Dolomites. Or Stilfserjoch/Stelvio?

For the time being the Dolomites are in Italy. I did Stelvio two years ago.
Might do it again, but disliked the crowds there.

What would be a (some) good Austrian base(s) for mountain driving?
Suggestions for places to stop and go for a nice 1-2 hours walk (in
regular city shoes!) are also very welcome.

I have a site aimed at motorbikes, but much of the needs are the same as a
sporty car driver.

How sporty I'll depends on Sixt - it's either a BWM or a VW.

I stumbled across your site when I first went driving in the Alps, back
in 2001 (I think). Bought the Denzel guide as well.

Nice to see it's still around.

I suggest anywhere around Mariazell in the centre of
Austria, look for Puchenstuben, Wildalpen. Or, a little further West
Hengstpass(only 1000metres - park nearby and go fora walk, there are some
nice, well marked paths nearby), Windischgarsten . Gesäuse National Park.

Spectacular is the drive on the north ramp of the Sölkpass. And one of my
all time favourites, the Nockalm (a toll road but worth the money). Don't
forget the obvious, a touch expensive toll road - but for a one-time trip
definitely worth it - the Grossglockner Hochalpinstrasse - plenty of
scenery and walks/strolls.

Noted, thanks.

http:\\www.alpineroads.com : check out my top roads lists. You're welcome
to browse or even join the forum (mostly but not exclusively bikers but all
very friendly).

To get over from Austria into Italy for the Dolomites I can recommend the
Stallersattel on the border - well made and only single-track on the top of
the Italian side but controlled by long-phase traffic lights so if you get
them wrong you can always take a walk there.

I demand only two things from my roads: it must be paved and two cars
must be able to pass each other. I approve of those lights.

Old July 20th, 2012, 07:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

:

On 2012-07-17, tim.... wrote:

Not quite in Austria, but driving over Karavanski , rather than under it and
then around Mt Triglav was fun

Karavanski? You mean Wurzenpass instead of the Karavanke E61 tunnel? I was
in Slovenia last year where we tried to go Bovec to Kranjska Gora, but
we had spent too much time walking around Lake Bled and visiting a
waterfall at Bohinj, so we ran out of light.

I can recommend the Vrsic pass as well (the Bovec-Kranjska Gora road). A
bit bumpy near the bottom of the north ramp, but otherwise very nice.
--
Tim C.